Newly-Purchased '94 FZJ80 -- Gut Check on EGR Valve + Battery Drain Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all -- just purchased my '94 last month, my first Cruiser (first pic below). Thanks to folks here for some feedback in the search process. I've got two issues I'd love a gut check on. I've searched through old threads but couldn't find what I was after.

1. EGR Valve: I asked my mechanic to diagnose the typical gas leak / tank pressure issue (faint gas fume smell near rear driver side, tank hisses when I open to refill, etc.) I assumed to start with the charcoal canister, but mechanic says its likely the EGR valve after running a smoke test. Not seeing a lot of literature connecting the EGR to gas leak though. Should I replace it? It's a little expensive and I'm not sure it'll entirely solve it. He says it's fine to leave as is as well, if I can stand the smell when refueling.

2. Battery drain: the battery died after sitting for a week while I waited for my plates and registration. Ran fine before in between starts. Battery still has life and holds a charge. Mechanic says older trucks typically draw on the battery faster and shouldn't let it sit for more than 5 days and a new battery wouldn't improve the issue that much. That seems like a pretty small window to drive it. This is a weekend truck, not a daily driver.

Also, I had a check engine light come on right before the battery died, but I didn't check the codes. CEL isn't coming on anymore (not sure if it was for EGR), mechanic says dead battery may have wiped it.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Harry

1.jpg

Ditto on the battery drain. You can watch some videos on YouTube how to trace a parasitic draw. Usually, it’s a relay stuck in the open position causing the power to drain. Relay will look totally fine but it’s dead inside. I haven’t got around to it as I disconnect my battery and place it on a tender. Need to get some new battery wires anyways for my dual battery setup

On the contrary, you should start with replacing your charcoal canister, which you can get from AutoZone AC Delco part# VC 120, if my memory serves me correctly. I just did my 93' about 1.5 month ago. Gas smell and no more hissing when refueling!

I'm not sure about the battery drain. I've still yet to look at mine.

Hope this helps!

On the contrary, you should start with replacing your charcoal canister, which you can get from AutoZone AC Delco part# VC 120, if my memory serves me correctly. I just did my 93' about 1.5 month ago. Gas smell and no more hissing when refueling!

I'm not sure about the battery drain. I've still yet to look at mine.

Hope this helps!
Here's a pretty good video on the replacement:

Parasitic draw could be that key ignition ring, not sure what it's called but I'd suggest checking it at night and see if it's on, I'm having that issue too, but haven't had time to do much research.

Yep change the charcoal canister before going after egr. as far as the "don't let it sit more than 5 days thing" well I've let mine sit for over a month in fact it might have been 2 with out a dead battery. So get the multi meter out and start pulling fuses until you find the circuit that is causing the issue. You can do both fairly quickly, and only recommend you go ahead and take some of the old fuel line with you when you go to get the canister as those are probably old and you can just change those out too. If you have someone to help you pull fuses while you track the drain, it will make your job a lot faster.

Thanks everyone. Will order the Duralast or AC Delco canister, whichever is in stock, for a cheaper potential fix before EGR. If CEL comes back and it’s the latter issue then may have to go that route.

FWIW I disabled the EGR on my 94' and replaced the charcoal canister with an Autozone VC120. No codes, no fumes, works just fine. Although the EGR is part of the emissions system its not related to fuel smells.

Search paperclip method to read the codes.

How many miles on that 94' it looks good!

FWIW I disabled the EGR on my 94' and replaced the charcoal canister with an Autozone VC120. No codes, no fumes, works just fine. Although the EGR is part of the emissions system its not related to fuel smells.

Search paperclip method to read the codes.

How many miles on that 94' it looks good!
Thanks -- how easy was the disable process? Don't think NY state requires since it's older than 25 years but need to check.

178K on the clock -- all stock, cloth interior. Just needs a bit of baselining before I address some common leaks (main seal, transfer case) and potential new knuckles.

Get a different mechanic.

^^^
I agree with @BILT4ME. The first thing I would replace is your mechanic.
The EGR and tank pressure are not directly related. Advising you to replace an EGR valve to solve a pressurized tank or solve a tank leak is just wrong; as is advising you that it is normal to expect an older truck to have a parasitic draw that will kill a battery in 5 days. Instead he should have offered to diagnose the draw or test the battery.
Follow the advise here about the charcoal canister, search for threads about gas tank leaks and google how to diagnose a parasitic draw using a multimeter and you will be on the right path.
Clean looking truck. Good Luck!

After sitting at the shop over the weekend, turns out the battery was in fact going south, so replaced it. Time will tell if any drain in fact exists. I bought the AC Delco canister and it fixed the pressure issue, which is great. Now just need to find some new speakers, figure out whether to replace EGR, and fix those pesky leaks...thanks all.

Parasitic draw could be that key ignition ring, not sure what it's called but I'd suggest checking it at night and see if it's on, I'm having that issue too, but haven't had time to do much research.
Interesting, on my 93 my ignition ring light stayed on and drained the battery. I just disconnected the light at the ring bezel and problem solved.

Lots of videos on youtube about finding parasitic draw by pulling fuses one at a time. IT WORKS. Seems like a lot of time but I found a bad bluetooth module in a 2007 acura in about 5 minutes. It was killing the battery in about 24 hours.
Check the light ring around the key and the lights at the bottom of door panels. The little buttons can go bad, the ones that turn off the lights when the door closes.

Lots of videos on youtube about finding parasitic draw by pulling fuses one at a time. IT WORKS. Seems like a lot of time but I found a bad bluetooth module in a 2007 acura in about 5 minutes. It was killing the battery in about 24 hours.
Check the light ring around the key and the lights at the bottom of door panels. The little buttons can go bad, the ones that turn off the lights when the door closes.
Thank you, I’ll check that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom