Newly Purchased 72 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Starting a thread on my newly purchased 1972 FJ40. It came half finished from Dom, who got sick of it and gave it to Big Dave.

Big Dave is going to help me get it ready to go.

Currently, the [updated] work list is:
* replace head gasket (only running on 4 cylinders at the mo)
* sand, prep and paint the hard top
* install heater hoses and rear heater
* find replacement dash (old one is toast)
* take gauge pod apart and replace broken glass. (everything else is perfect!)
* attach speedo cable
* attach choke cable
* replace cut parking brake handle
* replace a few cable connections
* run cable harness in chassis hoops

Seems that Dom chucked everything back together quick just to get rid of it, and didn't put everything back together again. So there are some loose wires, and un-connected dash buttons.

I'll gets some pics up soon.

Last edited:
Cool! Welcome and good luck, can't wait to see the work. :popcorn:

IMG_6100.JPG__300

The Truck

IMG_6105.JPG__300

Taking the Roof apart

IMG_6108.JPG__300

Scraping out the foam lining

IMG_6106.JPG__300

The rain gutter. Some rust in the corners. Big Dave reckons that sandblasting and painting should be enough

The rain guard at the front of the roof. We had thought about keeping it in place, but there was a missing rivet here
IMG_6109.JPG__300

and the PO had replced some rivets with bolts
IMG_6110.JPG__300

used half a can of liquid wrench, busted about 7 bolts, had to heat up the 4 main screws holding the rear cross member, and ended up drilling out the last one.
IMG_6115.JPG__300

Broke 3 drill bits, and an easy-out. It was a one of those days.

On the bright side - got the roof totally apart ready for sanding, sand blasting and painting.

The tub has been coasting with that tough black coating stuff that I think will make it resistant to damage.
IMG_6119.JPG__300

Last edited:
Welcome to MUD....Flames suck-Go Sharks :flipoff2:

More Sanding

My arms hurt.

Last night I finished sanding the roof down to the point where its ready for the fiberglass resin to go on. Hopefully that will fill the pock marks and make it smooth.

Today after work I'll start on getting the side walls ready. Pop the glass and give it a rough sand all over.

Saturday morning its off to the sand blaster with all the bits. I think Big Dave has some things he needs sanded as well.

Gotta harass CCOT for my head gasket - should be here by now.....

CCOT and heater

CCOT were waiting for my to respond to an email I didn't get approving the shipping fee of $25. Darn - now its another week away.

In the mean time then, we are prepping the walls of my cruiser, and alot of parts from Big Dave's and Pete's.

So Today we will take out the windows, and prepare for Saturday morning.

We went to Al's last night, and he gave us some bits:
  • coil of heater hose - should be enough for the lines to both heaters from the rad
  • hose clamps
  • hose tie downs
  • 1 T-piece - we need 2 I think, we'll bug Al for another one
  • lots of cable ties and wire loom tidy stuff
  • lots of heat shrink wire connectors
  • other misc. bits that I dont have a use for yet.

Add all that to the aftermarket heater I already have (sitting on the right well well):
IMG_6119.JPG__300

I think we are ready to go! Just gotta figure out the wiring next....

Anyone got any tips on wiring up the heater?
Thanks Al!

Well - didn't get the windows out last night, but prepped the spare tire holder, breaking more bolts, more drill bits, and another easy out. There's got to be an easier way.

Started looking at the wiring harness and other assorted cables in the dash. To do this, had to first remove the dash that the PO had done. He had just recovered the disintigrating old dash with a vinyl covering, and hadn't really done a good of that either.

More things to add to the list:
* find replacement dash
* take gauge pod apart and replace broken glass. (everything else is perfect!)
* attach speedo cable
* attach choke cable
* replace cut parking brake handle
* replace a few cable connections
* run cable harness in chassis hoops

Started to feel a little overwhelmed, but little by little I guess.

Welcome to Mud and it looks like you are well on your way! Love the color of the Cruiser and good luck...

Thanks, I'm just dying to by finished already.

More updates:

Dave, Pete and I took some parts to the sandblasting place, and after about an hours we had it done.

Then it was on to the primer.

IMG_6147.JPG__200

This is the primer

IMG_6142.JPG__300

the small parts

IMG_6141.JPG__300

the temporary spray booth

Next time I'll use paint thiner to clean up. Since I couldn't find any in Dave's shop, I used the only thing I could find. Pure acetone. 2 rinses with that, then scrubbing my hands, and scrubbing under the fingernails, and I couldn't get them any cleaner than this. They hurt for days....

IMG_6149.JPG__300

ZeroRust

Thanks for your posts...did you go straight from the sandblaster to priming with ZeroRust? Is there some other metel prep that is required? Why ZeroRust as opposed to ther products?

yep - straight from balsting to priming. Didn't want to wait for any surface rust to start.

Why Zerorust? Dunno really - the sandblasting place had them for sale, and another guy said that this stuff was better than others for reason which I can't quite remember. Something about paints not adhering as well to the other stuff?

And yeah - rubber gloves are definitely the way to go.

Long time - No Post

The head gasket finally arrived from CCOT, so Dave and Pete tore down the engine. I was away when they did it, but I was there when they put it back together.

IMG_6429.JPG__300

Blown Head Gasket

The damage is quite clear. Also, they found that the spark plug in cylinder 6 was not fully seated, and that would have been contributing to the problem.

IMG_6433.JPG__300

Pete got busy, and rebuilt the head.

Meanwhile, I was on paint duty. I removed, cleaned, sanded, primed and painted the break cylinder, the clutch cylinder, the air filter, the heater blower and the voltage regulator.

IMG_6431.JPG__300

I also tore out the wiring harness, and fed it back through all the proper channels in the fire wall.

Also, some of the break lines are now back in place properlly. The engine bay is certainly looking better.

When I back in town, I'll be sure to take some more pictures.

Hours before I left, I insured and registered the truck - so hopefully when I'm away, Dave will take it for a new exhaust system.

Its On the Road!

IMG_6858.JPG__300

I'm borrowing a roof from Dave while I get the thing road ready, and this way its out of his garage.

what's left
- speedo cable
- e-brake cable
- tires
- rear brakes
- front seat
- replace blown headlight
- passenger door sag

I ordered in the brakes from Bowness Autparts in Calgary, rear shoes $42.98/pair and rear drums $53.92 each. plus 8% shipping.

Put some cardboard in front of the rad, and now its toasty warm inside the cab. Didn't want to start in the cold (-16C) but after a few days of use, it starts in the cold now. When it doesn't just plug it in for 30 minutes and she starts right away.

Awesome!

Very nice holiday pressent. It needs a bow.

that looks really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom