Newly acquired FJ40! SOA Help Needed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all! First post! Just picked up this FJ and trying to get things sorted. There has been some version of a RS and SOA swap done and I want to check if it's worth keeping or go back to SUA.
  • Cut and turn doesn't appear to be done
  • Mil wrap is at the rear shackle end, this appears to be wrong
  • Shackles are bent badly, are these the original style?
I want it to be a little lower, or at least level. Has SBC and the front rides higher. Planning to pull the springs and clean and lube. Reverse the spring orientation for mil wrap to be on shackle side. I am not opposed to going back to SUA, I don't care for the ride height and even though I bought a wheeler, prefer a cruiser. Thanks for the help!
IMG_8302.JPG
IMG_8304.JPG
IMG_8302.JPG
IMG_8304.JPG
IMG_8302.JPG
IMG_8304.JPG
IMG_8302.JPG
IMG_8304.JPG

IMG_8305.JPG

IMG_8306.JPG

IMG_8307.JPG

Welcome aboard! Yep, definitely a 'budget' SOA. The bent shackles would seem to indicate some rough use or bad engineering.
The knuckle stops and shock mounts appear to be in the OEM location, that along with the huge shim would seem to indicate there was no C&T done. Judging from the PO's work, it may have been above his skill level.

If the PO did not do a C&T, at this point its a coin toss whether to fix the existing issues or go back to SUA. A well executed SOA should ride fine. I'm curious to see how the PO handled the high steer. How about a good pic of both knuckles.

Thanks for the replies. I do have a SM465 with the AA adapter and custom drive lines.

Here is a closer look at the steering.

12E89FBE-7173-4132-9565-EFED87F30792.jpeg

A54CCCA6-3465-43B3-A936-342CC11443C5.jpeg

D69AA2C0-0188-41A9-A987-E6241A994224.jpeg

Well, that's a good sign. At least the steering arms aren't a homemade mash up. Do you know what the pinion and caster angles are set at?

I'd be worrying about the aluminium wedges under the leaf springs.
either the front axle took a side ways impact or who ever put this together got something way off as the shackles shouldn't look like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom