Newly Acquired 94 Land Cruiser Turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks!

Happy to join the forum. I've been spending the last two weeks reading lots and lots of posts.

I recently was given a 94 Land Cruiser that's been sitting for a few years now.

Originally I was told it was a 95 and had been planning for that, but found out today it's actually a 94 which throws a big wrench into my plans.

Has anyone had success doing forced injection on a pre 95 80 series?

I'd love to liven up this engine without doing a swap.

Thanks for any resources!

Welcome to the forum. No information to provide but hopefully someone will chime in. I do know that it has been mentioned several times before but you will likely need to be imaginative in your searching on here

I share your sentiment. My research into F/I on OBD1 seemed to indicate that it could be done but its not really recommended compared to OBD2.
It's been a while since I've looked into it too so curious what turns up here.

I share your sentiment. My research into F/I on OBD1 seemed to indicate that it could be done but its not really recommended compared to OBD2.
It's been a while since I've looked into it too so curious what turns up here.
Yeah bit of an unfortunate time period.

Seems like you need full standalone kind a Haltech plus a turbo to make any appreciable power but now you're talking 10k for a turbo setup which puts you squarely in LS territory.

I did turbo my 93. With parts I had sitting around. I have reverted it back to na due to the extreme weather changes we have where I live, had to have like 20 different tunes to get me through the year. Stock ecu with a emanage ultimate (piggy back). Had it running great. Tons of power once it spooled up. Ran 15psi

IMG_20181009_164121.jpg

I did turbo my 93. With parts I had sitting around. I have reverted it back to na due to the extreme weather changes we have where I live, had to have like 20 different tunes to get me through the year. Stock ecu with a emanage ultimate (piggy back). Had it running great. Tons of power once it spooled up. Ran 15psi

View attachment 2628648
Wow this is one of the first piggyback success stories I've seen I appreciate the info.

What all did you change for fueling/ignition? Did you leave stock injectors and dizzy on there and use the emanage to control them?

Though hard to find, I think some people have supercharged thier 94. It take some work, but I know I can be done.

Wow this is one of the first piggyback success stories I've seen I appreciate the info.

What all did you change for fueling/ignition? Did you leave stock injectors and dizzy on there and use the emanage to control them?

Ran the stock injectors at first. Changed them out for some WRX injectors I had. I ran the stock dizzy. The emanage can do just enough timing that you can make it work. Used the stock airflow and the supplied map sensor. Ran a wideband to the emanage.

It took me a week of my evenings to get it to run. Tuned on the road driving to work, the store, and offroad.

Turbo was from a 99 ford 7.3L power stroke. Yes it was way to big but I had it in the garage. Built my own log manifold.

While it was a "success" it did take alot of work to get drivable. Using late 90s early 2000s tech is not a fun task. When I turbo again I will invest in a new standalone.

LOL, I guess you missed the part where he yanked it off. Not my idea of a success.

LOL, I guess you missed the part where he yanked it off. Not my idea of a success.
I got tired of beating everyone at the lights 😂. Until I find a standalone that can handle the weather of +40c to -40c (104f - -40f) I'll stick with na. It's not a Honda I don't want to drive with a laptop in the passenger seat.

talk to @scottryana hes turboed an obd 1 truck running pretty low boost on the stock ecu

other option is keep the 94 as is untill a nice 95-97 comes up and either trade, or sell the 94 for the newer truck

talk to @scottryana hes turboed an obd 1 truck running pretty low boost on the stock ecu

other option is keep the 94 as is untill a nice 95-97 comes up and either trade, or sell the 94 for the newer truck
Nope, never turbo'd an OBDI truck. I have attempted to help a couple of members that turbo'd their own OBDI trucks but couldn't figure out a way to keep it going dangerously lean.

did you turbo an obdII truck or am i getting confused with the advice that youve given
Yep I have turbo'd several OBDII trucks. The WitsEnd turbo kit is my design for the most part.

Hey folks!

Happy to join the forum. I've been spending the last two weeks reading lots and lots of posts.

Originally I was told it was a 95 and had been planning for that, but found out today it's actually a 94 which throws a big wrench into my plans.

What's your build date?

What's your build date?
I just checked this and it is April 1994. I was hoping it was a late 94 but no luck.

@scottryana I have been devouring all your awesome advice on here the last two weeks it's been very helpful and what inspired me to look at a turbo vs v8 swap to begin with.

Do you have any experience or input on a standalone ECU used parallel with the stock which would retain control of the transmission?

I had budgeted $6-8k for the turbo build and buying an ECU would be unfortunate but the Haltech seems very nice for $1800 and I'm hoping that will do what I need it to.

Then it's just up to picking a turbo. My local fab guys recommended Borg turbos over a Garrett, but didn't have a recommendation for a part #

Hey folks!

Your title is deceiving I thought you had a 94 turbo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom