Newly Acquired 94 Land Cruiser Turbo (1 Viewer)

I just checked this and it is April 1994. I was hoping it was a late 94 but no luck.

@scottryana I have been devouring all your awesome advice on here the last two weeks it's been very helpful and what inspired me to look at a turbo vs v8 swap to begin with.

Do you have any experience or input on a standalone ECU used parallel with the stock which would retain control of the transmission?

I had budgeted $6-8k for the turbo build and buying an ECU would be unfortunate but the Haltech seems very nice for $1800 and I'm hoping that will do what I need it to.

Then it's just up to picking a turbo. My local fab guys recommended Borg turbos over a Garrett, but didn't have a recommendation for a part #
The stand alone wired in parallel is going to be really what you want to do. To completely remove the stock computer and wire in a stand alone would be a huge undertaking. Not to mention getting all the systems to work properly when done.

The stand alone wired in parallel is going to be really what you want to do. To completely remove the stock computer and wire in a stand alone would be a huge undertaking. Not to mention getting all the systems to work properly when done.
This is I think the path of least resistance as well.

It also gives me the ability to do a coil on plug later if I want to convert it eventually.

I was looking at the mega squirt but they are nearly the same price as the Haltech and seem to require a daunting amount more effort than the Haltech does

I'd imagine a stand alone ECU is the way to go, this isn't that complicated. It's not like an 80 series land cruiser or the 1fz is anything special. Guys in the Supra/Mr2 crowd having been doing this for a long time. I'd probably dig around over on those forums than here, heck probably not a bad idea to ring up AEM/Haltech/NemesisEMS/etc. and talk to one of their engineers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom