Newest money Pit, 1988 Hilux Surf (4runner). Guidance will be needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Previously, I harrassed this forum with questions about what to look for and what not to buy a 1st gen version. I'm currently living in Japan, so my options were slightly different, mostly where the steering wheel is and what engine I have. But since I sold my 75 series Troopy, I felt lonely without anything to waste my money on, so I ended pulling the trigger on what I hope is a rather nice and slow build.

The thing only had 107000 km, which is nothing and is clean. I feel bad for having ideas on how to make it more fun, but I don't feel that bad. The only real annoyances are it's not a manual and the engine, it is a 3y_EU which isn't the most common outside of the area but figure I can stock up on items while I am here and upgrade later if the need comes.

UJ0034294489_49_002.jpg

UJ0034294489_001.jpeg

UJ0034294489_8_002.jpg

I like it! Looks really clean. I like the wheels, too. How common are these trucks in Japan now?

I like it! Looks really clean. I like the wheels, too. How common are these trucks in Japan now?
From what I can tell they aren’t very common. They didn’t really catch on over here so not many running about but the ones still around are in pretty good shape.

I'd just drive it and deal with maintenance as it comes up. Super cool truck as is.
Did you have an idea about how you want to build it or what you want to use it for?

I'd just drive it and deal with maintenance as it comes up. Super cool truck as is.
Did you have an idea about how you want to build it or what you want to use it for?
Just something fun to tool around in. Nothing to crazy. Just wanted something with a bit of character and be fun to play with.

Super nice. Almost too nice to drive!

Is the ifs an option for the truck or did they not have a solid axle 4runner after 85?

I was running 31x10.50x15 on my truck with the same rim but you can go with 33x10.50 also if you can get it.

The first real question is, what size tires are everyone using. I plan on running the retro rims 15x7 rims that were OEM back in the day. They seem to fit the vibe. But what size tires could I get away with?

View attachment 2746316

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom