Newby tales and tire question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I have been a voyeur here for a while, but, now that I have finally purchased another Cruiser, it's about time I come out of the closet.

Just made the trip from Salt Lake to Indianapolis to purchase a '97 LX450 (purchased from one of Indy's finest)...1700 miles of the most boring freeway home :eek: and I'm ready to start the slippery slope of modifications. When I returned home the OME "J" lift was waiting for me, but I have decided to wait until I have purchased tires, which I did today. I went with ProComp MT in 315/75/16. The local 4WheelParts lured me in with the "pay for 3, get 1 free" deal, but I feel like I could have got BFG's or Wranglers for the same price. My question is, how good of a tire is the ProComp? I have never run them and don't know anyone who does, so I am looking for the omniscient ih8mud crew to school me.

Next Saturday the lift goes on, then the tires to follow. The wallet won't let me go further just yet, but ARB bumper, Slee sliders, and "J"-Moose rack and rear tire carrier to follow.

Will post before and after pics when available.

Welcome! Can't really help you with the tires. I like my MTR's. But as far as mods go, after my cruiser left me stranded with a dead battery, a dual battery setup was the first thing I put in. I used the Hellroaring isolator/combiner (lots of info on this over in Outfitting section).

Thanks re_guderian! I have read the threads on the dual battery setup and it is definitely on the list. Fortunately, the guy I bought the truck from was a fireman and had nothing to do but take care of it...including new battery. I noticed a "clunk" when stopping, so first thing when I got home was relube the drive shafts - problem solved. Also protected the carpet with Husky liners and reloaded with M1 synthetic, man these engines sing!

I went with ProComp MT in 315/75/16.

You doing your gears too? From what I hear you're going to have issues with a 35" on stock gears. My 285/75s are just on the edge of okay and I would think a 295/75 would be tough... Do a search but I think unless you do gears you're going to be less then happy.

With that said good luck, congrats on the new rig and welcome to the board...

I know of several others who are running 315's w/stock gearing, but haven't talked to them about performance. Would 305's be a stretch?

Wrlcome Trinny. It a long to my state for a LC but I went to Fl. for mine.

I posted on another thread about running 315s and stock gears. That's what I have.
In a nutshell, you either learn to live with it or regear. I suggest that you do your lift, get your tires on (if they're not already mounted) and drive around with it for a while. If you find that it totally sucks for you, then regear. If you don't have lockers now, it would be convenient to get ARBs (or other lockers) installed at the same time.

Welcome :flipoff2:

and congrats on finding a nice rig -- you did find the pink panties in yours didn't you? I know I haven't taken them out of the ones in Indy yet...
:D

Congrats on the rig, I went to Illinois for mine seems like everybody has to leave their staate to get a cruiser, glad my drive was only an hour and 20.

And by the way this thread is useless without pics!!!!!! :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

well, I did look into ProComps once and did some extensive research here and other places. Seems like they are somewhat susceptible to sidewall damage IIRC so you may want to watch out a bit for that on rocks, maybe. These 2 or 3 plies on the sidewall?
Congrats and enjoy the rig!

Which pro comps did you get? The whole sidewall strength is such a bunch of crap...really. What happened to watching where and what you are driving over? I know I just had a punchure on one of my x-terrains and it was on the edge of the tread not sidewall.

If you build a tire with a bulletproof sidewall you get no flex out of it and you have to air down past a sensible pressure. IF you need that much sidewall you best have 2 sets of tires and the trail set should be bias ply not a radial. I'd have to say the MTR, BFG or X-terrain all have equal sidewall strength. Honestly I have watched a guy slash the sidewall of a BFG over a stump I just cleared....so if I was like other's and just being subjective I'd say the X-terrain has a stronger sidewall but that's not the case. I call it bad luck and hitting it just right or wrong.

I'd tell you to take the pro comps back even if they are my favored X-terrains and get you some nice Toyo's or just some BFG's. I'd never buy an MTR cause it seems goodyear seems to think they are made with some gold, and usally priced about $100-$200 more a set than the BFG, or even Toyo's.

Thanks guys! I cancelled my ProComp order today and decided to wait for some Toyo's. I've heard nothing but good about them and the local Discount Tire can get them in within the matter of a week.

Will have to wait, however, as I'll be in Taiwan for the next two weeks...AAAARGH!

BTW you will need 5 tires. You cannot run an undersized spare with the 97's viscous coupling.
Cheers,
Sean
Oh and congrats and welcome.

Any update on tires Trinny?

My dream when building my rig was to go with the Toyo's. I was very sad to hear there is a HUGE wait on them. Like I have talked with folks that have been waiting for months for them. My lack of patience led me to buy the good ol' BFG Mud's, but I really wish I would have waited a little longer.

Food for thought, when I was at the SEMA show this last week, I discovered the COOPER STT Radials. I'll be damned, but they are ALMOST THE SAME TREAD as the TOYOS! And they have come out with some new sizes now. Something you may want to consider.

As far as gearing, I am still stock with 315's and am totally ok with it. But, this is coming from a guy that drove a 4 banger 4runner previously as a rock-rig.

Before I ever do gears, I will do a supercharger first! :beer:

I love my MTR's much better then BFG's I have had in the past on other trucks. My dad and I both run them he has the 305's and I have 315's. I am alright with stock gears but will be re gearing as well as FI at some point soon, but it is fine for now.

congrats on the truck and the pink panties!!!!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have yet to buy tires, but am leaning toward the BFG's due to price and availability. However, based on WildYoats' post, I may need to check out the Coopers. My dad runs Cooper A/T's on his Taco and swears by them. It may be possible to get a dealer price on them as well.

Anyone out there running Cooper STT's?

Considering the altitude you will be driving at in Utah, and the slow speed rock crawling opportunities you have nearby, I don't see any way you can avoid regearing using those big tires. I find that my 96 LX is a slug up high just with 275s. Up high means 4000 feet or higher...

BTW, check out my webpage for LX pics

John Davies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom