Newby intro and questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up a 72 FJ40 with 62k original on it. Very solid. Girlfriends father has had it since 73 with 10k on it. Military man took very good care of it. It was originally in Arizona, spent a stint in Alaska, and has been in Montana since 1977 so there is very little rust. Other than carb (from Man-a-fre and he had the 1978 receipt and instructions!), and delco distributor (had the original paperwork also), it is original. Has original windshield even. Definitely a treasure. The first thing I want to take care of is the exhaust leak from the heat riser gasket. I also noticed that it is slow to start up after it is hot and after digging on the forum, found that of course the heat riser is stuck.
I searched as much as I could but found no discussion on a manually controlled heat riser (I am talking a choke cable type of setup). I see that specter (who he mostly ordered from has none of the heat riser components in stock or they are discontinued.
I don't see why this wouldn't work and in the winter you could open it when you stop and allow heat to go to the carb if you are out on a short run or errands around town when the temps go low.
First, are there any trick to breaking those free other than kroil, time, and a few taps now and then?
Second, does anyone see a downside to a manually controlled heat riser (other than forgetting to shut it when the engine warms up)?
I see some people go to headers, but I would like to keep it original for now although when the new tires I put on it are done in a few years (cheap Dextero tires from Wal Mart (they were the only people in town that had 15" tires in stock)) I will most likely go 4 wheel disc brakes
Thanks in advance. It looks like this place will be a frequent visit now that I have my hands on this new toy...

Oh yeah, I would build the brackets/controls so no problem there. Just looking for opinions and ideas. Thanks

Show us some pics of your new money pit!

This thread useless without any pics, and congrats welcome to the addiction.:cheers:

manually controlled heat riser? there isn't a lever to attach it to, originally it is spring operated.
too much heat under the intake can crack it.

get ahold of me if you are in need of parts
Paul

Welcome Newb. Man you must be in good with your girlfriends dad for him to sell you anything! and a military man at that.

Here are 3 pics

Alright alright. Here are the only pics I have so far. I took them with my old cell phone so they might be grainy. A few people have told me it is the cleanest they have seen in pretty much original unmolested condition. Maybe this weekend will have a chance to get a lot more thorough and better quality pics.
front pass view pic from phone.jpg

inside from driver window pic with phone.jpg

passenger side pic with phone.jpg

That Cruiser is BEAUTIFUL!!! Original is so so nice to see. Hope you don't modify it at all. It is an extremely rare bird and your right, it has been well taken care of. In my opinion leave it ALL STOCK. wow. Is that original paint? Sure looks like it.

Nice rig, make sure to trouble shoot that exhaust leak very closely. I too had a bad leak when I purchased my rig as well as a vacuum leak (s). Take a good look at the bushings that the heat riser rod passes through the manifold. I had a significant leak there. I eliminated the heat riser all together (I live in Az) by removing the butterfly/rod then drilled and tapped the holes to accommodate new brass plugs.
You should probably keep yours (colder weather) but ensure its leak free as it requires a fair amount of work to access.
IMAG0382.jpg
IMAG0383.jpg

Alright alright. Here are the only pics I have so far. I took them with my old cell phone so they might be grainy. A few people have told me it is the cleanest they have seen in pretty much original unmolested condition. Maybe this weekend will have a chance to get a lot more thorough and better quality pics.

Nice looking rig!!

beauty :cheers:

If I were you I'd find a working replacement manifold and spend your time with a can of Classic Car paste wax. That will wax up just like new.

X2 on this^^^ I really like Mothers Carnuba Cleaner paste wax

Beauty! I am not a pixel detective, but that steering wheel looks uncracked!

No bends on the front bumper, bezel in proper order, and a kickass radio! Nice find. :beer:

I need to get more pics up. The hatch/glass door on the back is thin on paint. It is original paint and I have been told it will buff out nicely. More pics on the way. Just need some time. Been too busy with work...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom