Newbies dream turned curse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think there is certainly more to it than just power of an FZ. OBDII for starters, possible OE lockers, ABS, airbags.

I think if you do a search on the headgasket, you'll find that a majority of the 80 crowd have not had HG problems.

i drove a 92 before i bought my 94. at the time there was a big price difference between the 2. and i vowed after that drive that i would some how find the extra cash to get the FZJ. i currently have that same truck ripped down to the block to do the head gasket, just dropped almost $400 on new parts and even after the hours im gonna spend on this thing and its all bolted back together i'd do it again for the FZJ.

So you bought a 16 year old truck with out researching the vehicle. From your posts it sounds like you don't know Jack about wrenching and you come on hear whining about being embarrassed about the truck.

Here's an idea, go out and get the FSM and some wrenches and MAN up!

It's not your daily driver so if you tear into anything it doesn't have to be working again to make money Monday morning. Start with some simple stuff and if you get bogged down post up here and someone will be able to help you out.

While having a reliable vehicle is nice, the real pride comes from making it that way yourself.

So you bought a 16 year old truck with out researching the vehicle. From your posts it sounds like you don't know Jack about wrenching and you come on hear whining about being embarrassed about the truck.

Here's an idea, go out and get the FSM and some wrenches and MAN up!

What Rick (landtank) is really trying to say is.... "WELCOME ABOARD!":D

For the record is wasnt winning. Just making a joke about some of the funny things that happened to me right off the bat. I'd rather have a broken down cruiser than any other new truck.

Fiveo said:
I'd rather have a broken down cruiser than any other new truck.
I spy a sig line.

Fiveo: I went through the same woes as yours, with a lot of baselining to do to be able to drive in confidence. I experienced an embarrassing electric breakdown in the middle of nowhere in SW Utah, 500 miles from home in late 2006, with a 6 month old baby in the rear seat. Not a good experience.
Some days I've hated my Cruiser because of some of those glitches as for me reliability is paramount, but I've come to realize that you have to deserve reliability by PMing a lot, and be ready to pay the price for that. But once it's done, you've got yourself one of the coolest machines ever to roam the surface of the Earth. So hold tight, get yourself a 94;)and enjoy the ride :cheers:

94? What are the pro's of a 94 over other models?

Is the risk of a blown head gasket worth the extra power of a FZ?

Maybe, it depends on your style and preference. I have a 91 and a 94 infront of my home, and I'd like the 91 better. Both of them have northward of 235K miles and are very serviceable.

The older the better, IHMO.

TX since you have both rigs. Can you give me your pro and cons. I basically dreed the under power of my rig. I dont plan on ever doing any rockcrawling. I want to build more of an expedition type rig. Not sure I'd ever need to have a fully locked rig. But never say never, right. But I would like more power ABS and some one esle mentioned "OBDII" Not sure what that is?

Well, do some more homework. Read the FAQ up above there.

Basline is the key, and preventive maint. is necessary. Most of us here are maint. fanatics, but once you get used to the old girl, you'll know what to look for,and what she's going to demand in the future.

First thing to do is read FAQ
second, get to know CDAN, he's got the mighty yota OEM prices. SOMETIMES, you can talk your local dealership into better prices on the oem stuff. I've been able to do that here.

I based lined mine, did a bunch of maint. rebuilt axles, bets, tune-up etc., changed the gears to 4:88's (do that if your running stock 31" tires or up to a 33" tire), found a used 3" lift, used MT wheels and some 33" BFG AT KO's.

I drive the piss out of my rig daily. I tow with it, carry all kinds of stuff inside the thing, and LOVE it. My oil leak ended up beeing loose oil pan bolts, all of them. Rarely do they leak from the rear main. Most often oil pan arch seals.

Since this isn't a dd for you, do the work yourself. It's not hard, and will help you understad the 80's needs, and what you can get away with on the "to-do-list"

DON"T BUY NON YOTA PARTS! They lasted 200 thousand miles already. Spend the few bucks extra for the next 200 thousand. Especially the alternators, ask me how i know.... :D

The 3FE is a wonderfull motor, and the 440F non-computerized tranny is a sweatheart with the right gears.

The reason she's tearing at your heart, is because the 'ol girl knows that she's good for you. You just need to spend some time with her. You won't regret it.

Cruisersjustwanttohavefun002.jpg

CIMG2432.jpg

CIMG1103.jpg

OBDII stands for On Board Diagnostic. II is the level, 2. It takes trouble shooting out of the repair procedure for sensors being faulty and the like. A hand held device will plug into the diagnostic port and report back any errors or "codes" stored in the ECU. It's a nice feature to have.

While many feel the 3FE is a bit underpowered, mine doesn't seem to fit that description. Mine has plenty of power. Conpared to the 94 it's low, but it's not slow compared to a 2F. Then again our "collection" has two of those, and the difference is night and day between the two.

I like the low end power that the 3FE has over the 1FZ, (again, this will depend on how well they are tuned, but I think the 3FE could win a tug of war over 94.) I like the diff lock option. With mods you can obtain the same result with the 94 though. While I haven't had a VC failure in the 94, I wouldn't want to have one, the 91 doesn't have a VC. The exhaust on the 1FZ whistles, don't like it. The 94 has electronic controls for the climate control, just can't wait for something to go bad with the control unit. The 94 has a sunroof, the 91 doesn't, I prefer no sunroof. (my other 91 had one, never used it) I know my way around the 3FE better. The location of the dryer for the A/C on the 94 seems retarded, R12 in the 91 was colder. I do like the 4 wheel disk brakes on the 94, I like the 16 inch wheels too.

To me the best description I can give between the two is the 94 says "I just like to leasurely ride down the highway". The 91 displays more of an attitude, an attitude that says "I like to get s*** done".
I like the raw feel that the 91 has.

Last edited:
To me the best description I can give between the two is the 94 says "I just like to leasurely ride down the highway". The 91 displays more of an attitude, and attitude that says "I like to get s*** done".
I like the raw feel that the 91 has.

That's it exactly!! I love the 3FE.

94? What are the pro's of a 94 over other models?
I'm driving one :D
No, seriously: stronger engine than the 91-92 and better tranny than the 95-97. Plus it's the last year before the lexus-related blingification and it's widely available with cloth seats. Leather is prone to ripping and doesn't fit the "rough" big picture of the 80 IMHO.

Trouble shooting is halft the fun of having an 80. Something goes wrong, you search the site then go out and fix it. I haven't come accross any other type of forum with the knowledge and helpful people that MUD has. If I didn't have issues with my 91, I wouldn't have the triumphs of successful repairs.

I don't think it can be stressed enough to hook up with other local Cruiserheads. You'll get superb advice, great help, possibly lifelong friends, and a unique sense of pride that I've not experienced with other 4WD owners. That, and usually for some beer you can get wrenching help.;)

Regardless of your competency or finances, being involved with a local Cruiser group is extremely rewarding.

Like others have mentioned geta FSM (not a Chiltons or Haynes, etc.) and some :wrench: and get to work.

I bought my first Toyota truck when I was about 18. I didn't have any idea what I was doing. As things required PM or mods though I took it on. Plenty of failures, trust me, I know the feeling. I rebuilt my 22r, and at the moment of truth, when I went to fire the "new" motor, coolant started dumping out. I was gutted!:mad: I had to leave it alone until the next day.:crybaby: However, ten minutes in, it was runnin' like a champ.

Bottom line, you've got two options:
  1. Like Land Tank said, "Man up!" and enjoy it. You can do this with your kids as well! You'll spend some time :bang:, but it will make the good times so much better.:grinpimp:
  2. LEASE a heep (you don't want to drive it when it isn't under warranty or has more than 20k miles), and swap it out every two years.:flipoff2:
P.S. The only Heep in my family was one my :princess: was driving when we first met. I convinced her to sell it and buy an 80. TRUE LOVE!!!

Good Luck!

Greetings...

I have never had the luxury of owning a "new" vehicle, but that is OK with me.

I have gone through a bunch and when I do acquire one, (LC or not), I/you or anyone needs to go through it thoroughly and put a wrench on a bunch of the systems to work out the kinks. This is just part of buying stuff that has 100k plus miles.

Sorry to have to inform you but weather you are mechanical or not, there will be frustrating times ahead.

You could look at it this way though...A used vehicle cost mush less than new, (in most cases). And you now have an opportunity to learn a lot of stuff that you will carry into the future as knowledge and experience.

It is not always easy to know when to cut your losses, but that comes with the experience.

Best of luck to you and your foray into the world of LC's. Use the advice of Mud and get out there and fix it, or sell it and get another one.

HEY thanks guys!!! I had no idea i would have such a huge responce to my funny little story. I guess I should have mentioned that it never once entertained the thought of being wit out a crusier again. Well sometimes I just want to give up and buy an outback. But the wife forbids it. Whether I join the ranks of the 3FE movement or go with a 94+, I know what to look for this time. I'm here to stay.

I really have little wrenching skills. But I vowed to learn with this truck. I have had some sucsess. I felt like a cave man who started fire the first time a change a small 3" u shape hose. I think it called the by pass hose. I bloodied all my knuckles getting it in between the belts. But I did it. I was on top of the world when my baby fired up, the coolant circulated and the temp stayed cool.

My next project is a planned tune up. As soon as I get the ehaust whole fixed. A national muffler shop said the cross over part from the dealer would be 700 bucks and 350 for them to fabricate one. Needslesss to say they are not doing the work. I will post questions soon as to my options regarding customs exhuasts. Figure if it all needs to come out might as well upgrade while there. I just need to decide wether to keep the ol girl or up grade.

Bt thanks again for all you advice and encouragement. Can you guys just help with excuses to the wiffy for spending so much time on here. At the present moment she is painting my home office, while I type away.

I understand the venting of frustrations, and I thought your story was pretty funny. I had to pass up being pulled out of a snow drift by a Jeep Liberty last year.:rolleyes::lol: But you can ask a few others around here, I possibly own the "Anomaly 80", I get problems that people haven't ever had,:bang: or get problems showing up without warning signs.:censor: Can it be frustrating? Yep. Is it still a blast to drive something that looks like I'm dropping the kids off at soccer practice, and then drive over a rock the size of a car (and bigger)? Dang Skippy it is. For all the heart-ache and migraines, it's just so flippin' worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom