Newbie with Battery and Altitude Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
Hello all,

I am new to diesel and 24v systems and your forum has been a great help in my understanding of what I am getting myself into. I am importing a BJ44 from NZ with the 2B diesel with a 24v system.

When I pick it up, I am not sure of the things to check before trying to drive it. Keep in mind that the truck has been sitting for about a month.

My first question is whther or not it is possible to jump start a 24v system with a 12v. Any worry about frying either system doing this?

My second question is what things should I really inpsect before driving this off of the dock. I know wenough to check fluids, tires, and things that you would normally look at on an FJ. I just really want to know if there is something in the diesle engine that I may not know about.

My third question is since I live at altitude, can this engine be adjusted (or even need to be adjusted) for where I live. I have seen that there is a DHAC somewhere on some of the engines, but if it is like the 2f it only helps from around 4000 to 6000 feet. I live at 10,500 ft. Ouch!

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Kraig

I just wanted to give you the MUD welcome.:flipoff2: I don't know much about diesels, but I know "wesintl" has one and drove it on the ghost town run last month. You should check out the Rising Sun club out of Denver. We are having a cruiser rally next Sunday. A few of the members have diesels and could answer questions for you. If you need help wrenching when you get your rig let me know, I'm in the neighborhood. Kevin

If your not keeping it as a stock "show and shine" vehicle; then the "best adjustment" you can make is adding a turbo. :) :D :)

About $1000 by the time you are done. This would include a rebuilt turbo.
I am pretty sure the 2B and 3B we almost the same, expect for the head. I would also add a pyro and boost guage (about $250).

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
There was a thread about jumping a 24v truck off of 12v.

I am pretty sure to jump a 24 volt truck you have to disconnect the batteries and then charge each on seperatly. IE: Charge on with jumpers for a few minutes and then the other.

Cheers,
Nick

I think you can jump a JDM80 from one battery only if only one of the two batteries is in need of a charge. When both batteries are in need of a charge, you need to charge both, or jump both. In my 80 it's only because the starter is a 24 volt starter and truly needs 24 volts to get enough crank. At 12 volts it will still crank, but not enough to start the engine.

There are 12 volt starters also for the 80 that will bolt on directly but I have not tried one yet, so I don't know if they will start my engine satisfactorily.

Kalawang

At 10,500 feet that 2B is going to be VERY asthmatic!! I was sold on a turbo once I had my 3B up to 8,000 feet. I CAN'T imagine satisfactory performance from a 2B naturally aspirated at 10,500 feet. I have since had my turbo'd 3B at 13,500 feet and it's been just fine.

You may want to install a new fuel filter but be aware that you need to bleed the fuel system of air afterwards.

Keep in mind this is a diesel and you will have to warm the glow plugs. You do this by rotating the key counter clockwise and hold until the screen (which is located on the dash under the headlight swith, at least mine is) turns orange. Then you can start the truck. I didn't learn this until I had it for about a week. I knew diesels needed their plugs warmed but didn't know how on a BJ44. Anyway, I hope this helps a little.

POST A PIC WHEN YOU GET IT!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom