Newbie with an LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your AHC components looks pristine (read: complete lack of rust). Congrats!

Looks like a nice buy. The transmission being replaced is interesting, very few transmissions on these have been done and most have miles well over 200k. There's some around here with 400k+ with only fluid service.

Your AHC components looks pristine (read: complete lack of rust). Congrats!
The entire undercarriage is rust free, mud free and only slightly dusty. Quite happy. Thanks.
Looks like a nice buy. The transmission being replaced is interesting, very few transmissions on these have been done and most have miles well over 200k. There's some around here with 400k+ with only fluid service.
It had my concern too. There was a mention of one time the fluid was changed but the plug wasn't put back correctly so it leaked. maybe... Who knows.

The entire undercarriage is rust free, mud free and only slightly dusty. Quite happy. Thanks.

It had my concern too. There was a mention of one time the fluid was changed but the plug wasn't put back correctly so it leaked. maybe... Who knows.

Losing fluid is just about the only way to kill one of these, so that would line up. There have been a half dozen cases or so of transmission lines being cut or bursting from improper install of other parts, etc. Each time shops recommended drop and replace transmission and the forums steered the individual back towards fixing the line and refilling the transmission. They fixed the line, refilled the transmission and found it was back operating fine.

I don't know that most shops are doing this intentionally to make money. That being said, we have a lot of dedicated land cruiser shops out west and they troubleshoot transmissions a lot before leaping to pulling one. They just have a lot more experience with just how durable these things are and so the default isn't to try to yank it right away like many other vehicles.

Losing fluid is just about the only way to kill one of these, so that would line up. There have been a half dozen cases or so of transmission lines being cut or bursting from improper install of other parts, etc. Each time shops recommended drop and replace transmission and the forums steered the individual back towards fixing the line and refilling the transmission. They fixed the line, refilled the transmission and found it was back operating fine.

I don't know that most shops are doing this intentionally to make money. That being said, we have a lot of dedicated land cruiser shops out west and they troubleshoot transmissions a lot before leaping to pulling one. They just have a lot more experience with just how durable these things are and so the default isn't to try to yank it right away like many other vehicles.
They hadn’t done at the Lexus dealer 2014 $5k. Not my problem but it does mean my tranny has 125k less than the block.

They hadn’t done at the Lexus dealer 2014 $5k. Not my problem but it does mean my tranny has 125k less than the block.
Good deal. Just an FYI, if you go onto the Lexus Owners website you can build an account and put your VIN in to claim the vehicle. It will then pull in and populate the service history done at dealerships. Once you have that service history, you can actually call those dealers and request emails/ print outs of service if you do not have them available. Pretty cool deal.

Some shops aren't as easy to get service records from, but that is largely based on the service advisor you get and how busy they are at that moment. I've done this on cars I was looking at buying, and they were still really easy going about it.

Just getting into this whole thing. I have had a bunch (7?) Toyota p/u and now need more room for the family and made the jump to the LX. Comfy and it feels like a tank. Looking forward to learning more about this beast.

View attachment 2634485
Hi Robby, congratulations. She's a beauty. I too after advancing years gravitated to a Lexus LX470. I'm loving it. Probably overkill for me, but I have to respect its heritage
and build quality. Mine has a towing package (radiator, harness, plug) but no separate frame mounted hitch. I just bought a factory hitch attachment which mounts to the rear frame crossmember behind the access plate on the rear bumper. wondering if anyone knows what the torque specification is on the 4 bolts that fasten the hitch to the frame. The dealer I bought the hitch from has been very slow in responding. Will attach a photo of my 470 if I can figure out how to do it. I'm in St. Augustine, Fl.

202103-45b26769896741cca1222bd34ec74f29.jpg

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

Hi Robby, congratulations. She's a beauty. I too after advancing years gravitated to a Lexus LX470. I'm loving it. Probably overkill for me, but I have to respect its heritage
and build quality. Mine has a towing package (radiator, harness, plug) but no separate frame mounted hitch. I just bought a factory hitch attachment which mounts to the rear frame crossmember behind the access plate on the rear bumper. wondering if anyone knows what the torque specification is on the 4 bolts that fasten the hitch to the frame. The dealer I bought the hitch from has been very slow in responding. Will attach a photo of my 470 if I can figure out how to do it. I'm in St. Augustine, Fl.

View attachment 2636314

View attachment 2636318

View attachment 2636319
I like your running boards much better. Not sure on torque specs. I hope to see how well it does in comparison to my Tacoma on the dirt.

@ROBBYBROAD Is it a 2000 model year?

There was a batch of defective 2000/2001 transmissions. Unknown on what percentage but good for you, yours was replaced. It's a robust transmission that was used in the 1995+ 80 series too.

My wife won’t drive a lexus that isn’t that color. Hope your first two mods are to get new side cladding for the driver side front fender and get rid of those non oem running boards. They look like factorys from another vehicle.
I think some sliders might be a good call. Thanks for the critique.

There was a batch of defective 2000/2001 transmissions. Unknown on what percentage but good for you, yours was replaced. It's a robust transmission that was used in the 1995+ 80 series too.
That is good to hear. hopefully it wasn't a bad one that replaced the blown one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom