Newbie with a buying question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, great site. I hope to become a regular here once I find the right rig.

I was hoping you might be able to help me with one that I am looking at. I figured I would start with the regional forum because you guys probably know what they are going for in this area. Here is the link to the craigslist add. Let me know what you think.

thanks,

1978 FJ40 Landcruiser trade for Harley

Here is some more information that I have gotten on it.

The conversion kit was installed professionally. The motor is a rebuild but the head and block was also done professionally. The motor is very strong. The transmission and transfer were built by an off-road shop in Denver. I bought them with the rolling chassis out in Denver. It still needs to be painted but looks good enough as it is for playing around. I was going to just drive it like it is without painting it since I was expecting to actually use it for off-roading. The firewall and inside have been rhino lined. It needs the heater hooked up, seat belts installed, altenator hooked up, and just a few other minor things. It is dirty from just sitting in the garage for awhile, but it is in good shape. I have probably put 20 miles on it around town just like it sits right now..

thanks,

Welcome! What are your plans with this Land Cruiser? Do you plan on driving it daily? Playing off-road, seriously off-roading? I think that will determine what you are looking at getting. Based on the one that is on Craigslist, looks like some pretty serious off road fun. I've never driven a sprung over on the road for more than a few miles, and not sure how it would be for every day use. On the trail it would be great.

What is the asking price, or are you trading your Harley? Look at the for sale section here on MUD as well. You probably have, but there are some very nice rigs for sale for fair prices.

Ask away. Lots of guys with WAY more experience than me here.

Ex

I think you can find a better deal than that.

I was hoping that I might be able to use it as a daily driver, and possily getting rid of one of our vehicles that we are making payments on. And occasionally taking it off road when I can. But that wouldn't be necessary.
I don't mind having to put work into it, but I just want to make sure I am getting a decent deal if I trade for my harley.

I just talked to him about it, and in sounds like it is pretty much set up for off road. Might not be exactly what I am looking for, but I am still planning on going to look at it over the weekend.

Just a little fyi I bought my 68 fj on Ih8mud.com for 600.00 You can find a nice fj on here or ebay for around 5000.00 if you look around

I have a question for anyone in the KC area with an fj40. Is there someone thaat would be willing to let me stop by and take a look at it? Just so that I know what I should be looking for. I would like to have something to compare to, and talk to someone who I know would be honest with me about them because they aren't trying to sell it to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Jim

IMO, I don't know if you'll be happy with a spring over for a daily driver. Not to say it isn't being done right now, just saying that the lack of control in emergency situations probably leaves something to be desired.

My SOA is awesome on the street!! With the H55 I can do 75 with no problems. I have a 60 series rear axle and IFS mini truck rotors and spacers on the front, so I am wider than stock. IMHO if a SOA is done right, it should do fine on the street.
Still need to get an anti-wrap bar though-broken pinions suck!! :bang:

Jim, if you want to check out my truck-send me a pm. I'm 40mi east of kc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom