Newbie with a 92 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Hello all, I found this forum after hours of searching hehe, anyways... I am glad I finally found a forum that talks about just LC's. I just bought one from an auction, although I must admit I did pay high price but I always wanted one.

a 92 Landcruiser 4.0

However there's many things I don't understand yet because I am not familiar with the lingo yet here, however one of the things got me concerned is about that LOCK everybody is talking about, I even check that number on the door, however I see on my dash board a button you can push that says: DIFF LOCK, when you push it, a yellow light will come up, I don't understand what the use or the functionality of it. If someone can explain to me thank you!.

When I first saw it I felt in love wit the damn thing, it had too many repairs to do and I am still doing it, thank god I have the tools and my father is a mecanic
he tells me what to do, I do it right away. Last week I didn't go to sleep til like 3:00am just trying to put the Fan and cover inside that was tricky!

Looks it was in small tiny accident, the left part of the bumper was missing (plastic part), one flare is missing ( that plastic that goes on top of the fender, dealer's cost $500.00 bucks) and under kneeth the fender, missing mud flap, check engine light on, broken radiator, no tires, no keys, inside: radio doesn't turn on, DOM lights don't work, no batery, broken fuel lock, A/C don't work, back of the truck, some parts of the bumper are hanging is just the missing bolts and plastics, bad thermostat. Right after the accident they didn't bother to fix the outside, and then the LC overheated because one of the belts rip, and they left the out abandoned!, luckly the rest of the body is perfect no rust and paint still glossy.

Although I am not sure why the radiator had a big crack when I first I saw it, I think when overheated the radiator cap didn't work correctly, and over inflated the radiator, or the thermostat, the heads looks good, is not comsuming water whatsoever, and is engine doesn't send the compression to the radiator. One thing I noticed is that every morning when I start the truck, it will leak water through the muffler but once is the temp is in the middle, everything looks just fine, I've drove over 400 miles and it doesn't overheat or consume water. Any ideas?

1-) Broken radiator, (tank). Got it fixed for $100.00. Thank god the radiator is still good!, the radiator is about $500.00 OEM, $700 @ toyota's dealer.
2-) all the belts from CHECKERS A/C/MAIN BELT/ALTERNATOR $40.00
3-) Thermostat $30.00
4-) Thermostat gasket $2.00
5-) Silicon $0.00
6-) Batery, Duracell $90.00
7-) Tires 4-BGF $600.00, installed, balanced with alighment.
:cool: Fuel tank lockholder, $7.00
9-) A plastic that goes in the back door I don't know how is called $9.00
10-) Bumper plastic side left $109.00
11-) DOM lights $2.00
12-) Fuses $1.00
13-) Rekey $100.00
14-) 2 Brackets, $10
15-) New water hose $7.99
16-) All wiper replaced, $40.00
17-) Coolant $20.00 X 2
1:cool: 3 ENGINE BRITE DEGREASERS $12.00
19-) 5 Min at the Selfserve car wash (to wash the engine) $5.00
20-) 1 full tank of gas, $45.00 bucks

for everything else there is Mastercard haha...

Well I replaced batery, all belts, hoses, replaced the thermostat, installed the newly fixed radiator. the engine light is gone, problem was the oxygen sensor, it was disconected :) A few fuses were gone, lights now work, replaced lights with better brither ones, stereo works just fine including the CD!, I've washed the engine now looks like new!. part of bumper installed.

Still to go: Back bumper, front fender I hope I can get OEM flares and MUDFLAPS and detailing in the outside. I will buy new set of carpets are very used. The inside is perfect almost new. There's a noise that it does when I shift to R or D, looks like the front propeler shaft need adjustment. Tomorrow I will do it, today after flusing radiator I am tired. I will post some pictures of the LC.

Thank you everybody!

LOL I forgot to tell you that I went off road already with the LC, RED ROCK like 10 miles off las vegas, I must admit it I LOVE IT! Next week I am going with my wife and friend to off road again.

Wow. Looks like you've resurrected one that was needing attention. Your post is highly unusual in that mostly we read about each other's improvements to an already nice shape Cruiser. You, on the other hand, have taken one that needed some care and put it in working order and that's interesting to read about as well. Keep us posted as a truck like that will be interesting to hear about to see how it overcomes that past life.

Welcome!

DougM

:flipoff2: you'll understand later

the water coming out the tail pipe in the morning is usual, just condenstaion and once the truck heats up it's evacuated.

The R-D noise is common on those vehicles and the front drive flanges have been known to be a problem with that

The "DIff Lock" is for your center diff in the transfer case. When locked you have power equally spilt between the front and rear driveshaft. When not on the shafts are unlocked and can spin at different rates. This is to help in low traction situations such as dirt or snow.

Welcome!

Glad to see you've got a fine 3FE (That's the engine designation...) Cruiser.

As for parts, might I point you to Cruiser Dan with American Toyota (Look in the Vendor's Section of IH8MUD for contact info.) for your parts....you'll like the OEM prices much better through him, and the service is fantastic.

Do a search for center diff lock and you'll find a couple of threads regarding the usage of that button.

-H-

landtank said:
thought this long ass post looked familiar :flipoff2: .

What was once torn asunder let now be rejoined......................

Or some metaphysical spiritual :censor: like that.

Hltoppr said:
Welcome!

Glad to see you've got a fine 3FE (That's the engine designation...) Cruiser.

As for parts, might I point you to Cruiser Dan with American Toyota (Look in the Vendor's Section of IH8MUD for contact info.) for your parts....you'll like the OEM prices much better through him, and the service is fantastic.

Do a search for center diff lock and you'll find a couple of threads regarding the usage of that button.

-H-

Call John Hocker at Sierra Vista Toyota in Sierra Vista, AZ for all your 3FE Land Cruiser parts needs!

For another good resource-get on the 3fe list on Yahoo Groups-we 3fe'rs are sometimes shunned here-its a good place to relax and know your questions will be answered by more than one person who all have likely experienced the same problem. But ih8mud-is...well...ih8mud-like selling your soul-you will always come back :grinpimp:

welcome :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom