Newbie: what's the best way to make 37x12.50R17 fit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!
I have a '98 HDJ100 with AHC and want to mount 37 tires.
Yes, I am aware it's all together a big mod. I have garage facilities, a grinder and mig welder (and not scared to use them).
At the moment I want to create the space for this rubber. Later I will import the tires (not available here) and maybe maybe re-gear.
Was thinking of 50 mm bodylift and fender/footwell cutting.
Am also considering to modify the IFS bottom control arms to get the wheel 25 mm more forward for space (and about 3 degrees extra caster).
It's an old clunker driven every day on the Gambian muddy dirt roads. Abuse gallore, no pavement princess.
Here in The Gambia there is no roadworthy check so ALL mods are street legal 😆

I am looking for advice from people who also fitted 37s.

IMG-20200221-WA0001.jpeg

? Not dreaming at all.
Maybe new to this forum but 25 years experience, of which I was ARB dealer in The Netherlands for 15 years.
I like complicated challenges 😎
Just an expression

Fair amount of cutting and 1” (25mm) body lift. I was looking at trying to go bigger than 37’s just before it went away and I liked the thought of a sloped body lift. Taller spacers in the front than the back. Maybe 50mm sloping to 25mm would work well? That’s what I was leaning (no pun intended) toward. I wanted to keep it as low as possible. My dream rig is Swag Offroad’s 80 on 40” tires without lift. Then everything you do after to fit or flex is a cake walk. This is my personal preference with our primary trips having been in the winter/deep snow. Not a lot of flex needed. Although the rear of my truck would droop like crazy 😜

Last edited:
? Not dreaming at all.
Maybe new to this forum but 25 years experience, of which I was ARB dealer in The Netherlands for 15 years.
I like complicated challenges 😎
Just an expression

@TulipGambia I think what @nukegoat is suggesting is to be not afraid to modify the truck to make it the way you want. Look at his truck, where he chopped off the independent front suspension and swapped in a solid axle with lots of cutting, grinding and welding.
Here's his build thread

Just re-title this as HDJ100 SAS on 37's, a solid axle is about the only way you'll get truly big tires to fit without issues.

I know its a little bit of a buzzkill, but there are plenty of people on here that run 35's without too many issues.

Just re-title this as HDJ100 SAS on 37's, a solid axle is about the only way you'll get truly big tires to fit without issues.

I know its a little bit of a buzzkill, but there are plenty of people on here that run 35's without too many issues.

What issues are you referring to with 37’s under IFS? Sorry, I thought I proved it could be done w/o issues.

I agree plenty of people run 35’s w/o too many issues, but I don’t understand the narrow-minded view that 37’s shouldn’t be attempted, when understanding what the limitations are and what is involved to get there.

Last edited:
What issues are you referring to with 37’s under IFS? Sorry, I thought I proved it could be done w/o issues.
I just skimmed through your build thread. I applaud the effort and you have me a little jealous. But with that said, I would not say that you "proved it could be done w/o issues". You should know better than anyone that you ran into plenty of obstacles and issues during your journey in the world of 37's.

I just skimmed through your build thread. I applaud the effort and you have me a little jealous. But with that said, I would not say that you "proved it could be done w/o issues". You should know better than anyone that you ran into plenty of obstacles and issues during your journey in the world of 37's.

I hope what I accomplished allows others to try it knowing what is involved. Also, taking the much smarter course, locking & re-gearing the axles early on to maximize the longevity of everything 👍🏼

However, as I went, it was still daily driven, and didn’t sit for days or weeks while I tried to figure out how to fix something I didn’t expect. I would do it all over again, but with the re-gear and locker up front sooner. (And maybe try to cut even further initially since we were cutting anyways).

And I would rather own a SAS’d 100 if all things were equal 😉

Fair amount of cutting and 1” (25mm) body lift. I was looking at trying to go bigger than 37’s just before it went away and I liked the thought of a sloped body lift. Taller spacers in the front than the back. Maybe 50mm sloping to 25mm would work well. That’s what I was leaning (no pun intended) toward. I wanted to keep it as low as possible. My dream rig is Swag Offroad’s 80 on 40” tires without lift. Then everything you do after to fit or flex is a cake walk. This is my personal preference with our primary trips having been in the winter/deep snow. Not a lot of flex needed. Although the rear of my truck would droop like crazy 😜

Don't want to steal the thread or blow your mind, but he listed the 80 in July For Sale - 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser With Factory Lockers On 40" Tires…100% Stock

I thought about trying 35’s but in the end decided to stay with a slightly larger 33.

35s are the limit for 100s with extended bumpstops and washer liquid relocate, after that its major cutting, body lift and modding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom