Newbie to site (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, my name is Brian.:D I'm new to the site.
I have a 68' fj40 in the process of restoring it.
I thinking of swapping a 7mgte into the fj40.:confused: I was wondering if anyone have done it.

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Welcome to mud. Let's see some pics of that 68.

Not much help to you.
I spent many hours searching on swaping 5mge into a 40, came up with nothing. There is somebody on here that swaped the 5m into a newer truck with sfa. Here the thread were there was a discussion on it. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=146563

I think the 5m is close match to the 2f. I also think you have to go with the mini trnas/transfer case and a centered rear. You need the bell housings that go with say supra trans. The starter mounts on opposite side . Also the fuel pump is extternal you could use it and you probably could use the fj rad. Beside getting motor mounts made and the driveshafts not much else to do. For the transfercase cross member. Frontrangeoffroadfab.com , they sell one (around 50 bux) that you adapt easily to work with 40 frame.
Vic

Last edited:
Here Some Pix of my 68' and what i'd done to it.

-Frame sand blast paint w/ por 15
-Axle and differential repacked and replaced bearings
-Disc brake conversion front and back
-New brake line and fuel
-High Performance fuel pump
-22.5 gallon auxiliary gas tank
-Saginaw Power Steering Conversion
-7mgte motor rebuild
-mini tranny and bellhousing
- trd clutch

Now i'm running into some problem. The tranny and rear diff does not line up.:mad: One thing I could is replace the rear diff w/ a mini diff so it will line up. But i spend so much money and conversion on my rear diff already.
Needs help and ideas?

Last edited:
Yes go with a rear from V6 Toy truck, what gear ratio do you have in that?. It will give e brake too.
Can you please post some pics of the whole drivetrain.... Never see one like that
thanks
I have afriend who is running a 350 with stock Trans/transfer case and a centered rear . He made his drive trian t run at an angle rather than straight for allignment to the rear diff. He had been running the with SOA nad 42S for many years with no problems.
Vic

Last edited:
Sounds like your off to a good start, could you post up some pics of the rest of the truck?

Kevin

here the pix
supra 2.jpg
supra 4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom