Newbie to forum needing help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys, I want to start by saying thanks to anybody who can give a little help guiding me in the right direction. About 10 years ago my father sold my FJ 40 out from under me while I was away at school. Ever since I have wanted to replace it and i was finally able to. Last week I came across another 78 Fj40 that was almost completely stripped down with all the original parts except the motor and very little rust. It has an older chevy 350 installed with the advanced adapter bellhousing and i believe the original 4 speed and transfer case. Here is the delima, the transfer case that is in it has a broken nose cone (first pic). Here are my options, the P.O. gave me another nose cone, transfer case housing and transfer case rebuild kit. He also gave me a tranny and transfer case out of an FJ60. What should I do. Should i attempt to repair the old transfer or should i swap in the newer FJ60 stuff. How hard of a swap is it to install this drive train. I'm not going for a full resto here just looking for a reliable trail rig for weekend trails and hunting trips. Attached are pictures of the nose cone, the original trans and one of the fj 60 set up. I will post some more pictures of stuff that I am concered with. Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited:
How do I post more pics to show some other stuff I had questions on? When I try to attach them it says that the sum of all my attachemnts is too large.

Your upload maximum is limited unless you buy a star.

Are the output splines the same on the Splitcase 4 speeds? I thought there was a difference?

Ed

Not sure what the spline counts are on the two. Can anybody comment? How big of a process is it to swap the FJ60 out with the 4 speed FJ40 gear. Are the mounts the same. Is the bolt pattern to the bell housing the same. Does it use a different throw out bearing? Sorry for all the questions i'm still new to the FJ40.

If I stay with the original T-case out of the 40 with the broken nose cone should i worry about internal damage to gears and what not. The front flange is also missing and i'm worried he might of totally grenaded the t-case and ripped the drive shaft off at the same time.

Split case trannys have 19 splines, while the J30 case is 16. You would need the later tranny too. I would just get another nose cone.

Split case trannys have 19 splines, while the J30 case is 16. You would need the later tranny too. I would just get another nose cone.

PH, I thought the J30 was the 3 speed tranny? I was asking about the difference(if any) between the one-piece Tc 4speeds and the split case 4 speeds. Maybe there is no difference there, either?

Ed

Trans and tcase from a early 60 can be swapped into a 40 without drive shaft modifications, and will work with the current parts in that set up.

You will not be able to use the rear cross member mount that attaches to the transfer case in your current set up.

Your 60 series four speed has a provision for a drive train mount on the bottom of it, I would use that and make a new mount on your truck.

That nose cone looks great.

You can post more pics if you purchase a star.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks for the input guys. I have a new case and a new nose cone and a rebuild kit for the transfer case that is in there now. I will swap the cones for now and hope there isn't any internal damage to the t-case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom