Newbie Taco project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a '99 4wd project truck with the 2.7 and auto. The body is good, the frame is solid, heck- even the exhaust is solid. I have owned FJ40s, FJ60s, FJ62s, and 100 series landcruisers, but this is my first taco.

The previous owner bought the truck new, and it has 300k miles on the odometer. He really took good care of it, I have seen 100k mile trucks that are in far worse shape. The seats don't have any rips. geesh.

Anyway, the truck was advertised as "non running" and the original owner gave me the history.

1. transmission wouldn't downshift in to low by itself, he had to do that manually the last 50k miles. He and his neighbor replaced a solenoid, but apparently it wasn't the right one.

2. At one point the truck wouldn't start, and his neighbor/mechanic helped him rig up a switch for the fuel pump. He drove it like this (flipping the fuel pump on manually) for 50k+ miles before it stopped starting again and it sat for 6 months before I came along.

We put a fresh battery in it, and it turned over with vigor, but wouldn't fire. He thought it was a short in the "wiring fix" he made, or the fuel pump. I liked the guy and the condition of the truck and bought it after checking the frame with a hammer. Price was good enough in my opinion.

Upon closer inspection, I agree that (lack of) fuel is the reason the truck won't start.

The extra switch on the dash is the only non-stock thing on the truck. It wasn't wired directly to the fuel pump, but rather when you flipped it on, it applied ground to one leg of the circuit opening relay (which powers the fuel pump). This "new" ground replaced a wire from the computer, and when the switch was "off" the leg floated. Weird fix IMO.

The circuit opening relay had been opened up and fiddled with, so I ordered a new one. (ouch, $70).

I went ahead and dropped the fuel tank and cleaned it out, and installed a new fuel pump. The old pump did work on the bench.

I plan to clean out the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter before reinstalling the tank. Hoping getting things back to stock (new circuit opening relay) and cleaning things out will get it running.

Which finally brings me to my first question for this forum: Assuming I can get it running, what sort of maintenance should I perform on this truck at this stage (300k miles)?

I plan to grease everything and change plugs, wires, filters. I am going to replace the belts and hoses, and put in all new fluids (probably synthetics).

Anything else I should plan to do?

Any thoughts about the tranny shifting problem?

Thanks in advance,
Ted

Last edited:
Update:

I finally got some time to work on things. I cleaned the tank, installed a new fuel pump, and replaced the circuit opening relay. Truck started up and ran for 30 minutes, sounding like a swiss watch (or sewing machine). I then tried to drive it, and it worked great in reverse but bucked like a bronco in forward gears. I think that maybe the lockout torque converter is stuck on?

Anyway I was going to drive it to a shop (a mile away) who works on trannies and the engine died at the bottom of my driveway. Couldn't hear the fuel pump, and we towed it back up the driveway and started troubleshooting.

I chased power back through the COR to the blue wire. I then unbolted the bed and propped it up so I could reach the top of the tank. (dumbass me put 15 gallons of gas in it).

What I found was something I have never seen before or heard of. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

When the fuel pump/sending unit was out of the tank it would run when cranking (as expected). When it was installed in the tank it would not run. It is almost like it was shorting out when in the fuel?

I ordered a complete fuel pump assembly (ouch) and hope this fixes my weird problem.

I would love to hear the reason for what I am seeing.

thanks in advance!

Last edited:
When the fuel pump/sending unit was out of the tank it would run when cranking (as expected). When it was installed in the tank it would not run. It is almost like it was shorting out when in the fuel?

I ordered a complete fuel pump assembly (ouch) and hope this fixes my weird problem.

Sounds like a short/loose wire on the fuel pump bracket. Replacing the assembly will hopefully solve this.

I haven't been able to identify the actual fault, but I believe you are correct. I installed a complete new fuel pump assembly and the truck started right up. On to the next issue: the transmission. Believe I will start a new thread.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom