Newbie Taco project part 2: auto trans issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Background: '99 4wd Tacoma, extended cab with no rust. It is what I call a "stripper" model, as it has manual windows and door locks. Purchased not running and trying to get it back on the road, odometer reads 300k miles. Part 1 was getting the engine running, and it seems there was a short in the fuel pump assembly. Replacing the fuel pump didn't work, but replacing the entire assembly did. Engine now runs smooth and quiet.

Part 2:
The next step is to get the automatic transmission sorted. I know very little about auto trannies, and was hoping the symptoms would sound familiar to one of you good folks.

The PO reported that for the last year he drove it, the truck would not shift into 1st gear when putting the trans in "D". He said he manually shifted through the lower gears to get around. He claims to have replaced a solenoid or two, but thinks he didn't replace the correct one as the problem persisted. In the various parts that came with the truck, I found a solenoid kit with three used solenoids.

What it is doing currently: When I got the truck running, I was able to shift into reverse and the truck behaved as expected. However, when shifted into the forward gears, it bucks like a bronco. I tried using my steep driveway to get momentum, but I wasn't able to get going.

My initial thought is that the lockup torque converter is locked up, but note above that I know little about trannies.

Is there any way the solenoids can be incorrectly installed? Are there any other 1 banana things I can do to try and fix this tranny?

Should I take it to a tranny shop, or should I try to source a used (working) tranny?

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom