Newbie so be patience, Top Windshield holes and screws? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 82 (lucky one), but the top cap has 4 screw holes. PO put top on during delivery and didn't have any screws. So I said I'd find some. Just got it back from the body and paint shop and tried M4 and M5 and could not get either to work.
Any ideas? Could they be US specs? Do they just screw into the actual WS frame or is there a nut/threads on the inside of the hole? Yes there could be new paint covering the threads, so should I get a tap and die set and clean them out?
BTW W/S cap and holes imply it's not 82, but

windshield cap hole #3.jpg

windshield cap hole #4.jpg

windshield caps differences.jpg

From zooming in on the picture, it looks like the capture nuts on the inside are missing.

I have an 82 (lucky one), but the top cap has 4 screw holes. PO put top on during delivery and didn't have any screws. So I said I'd find some. Just got it back from the body and paint shop and tried M4 and M5 and could not get either to work.
Any ideas? Could they be US specs? Do they just screw into the actual WS frame or is there a nut/threads on the inside of the hole? Yes there could be new paint covering the threads, so should I get a tap and die set and clean them out?
BTW W/S cap and holes imply it's not 82, but

View attachment 2261221

View attachment 2261222

View attachment 2261227

3rd missing capture nuts ..

i am going to take a leap and ask if you have a recent acquired Columbia spec .

truck there perhaps ?

and , thats a usa spec hard top retrofit maybe too ?

that it was perhaps a former FST , factory soft top ?

i cant just tell if you have a Cowell vent louver or not

anyway :

- to solve your issue in a eazy peezy way ,

- you will need a parts called a Compression threaded Nut-sert

- the needed thread pitch will be 6mm x 1.0 witch is very very common

- a specialty shop , like a super high end body shop top tier , will have a giant pair of these :

and insert the compression threaded nut-sert in , then push tool tip in , then

almost exactly like a Pop rivet gun in my reference photo ,

squeeze and compress them nut-sert and make a front and back flanh=ge of sorts , this will make a life time bond if done correctly ........fyi

the giant tool they will use will be the side of a fire departments BOLT cutters for example ..........

in the early 1990's -2013 i worked for TOYOTA as a TECH . and we had to attach

the rear wind deflectors made out of all aluminum , including the 2 dog legs feet , to the upper roof / back side just above the rear hatch .

on 2nd Generation 4runners , Previa Vans , and in a rare case 80 series land too cruisers too ,

also , station wagon toyota cars , roof racks , Camry , Cressida , and corolla ,

once in a rare while a tercel wagon too

these 4 points or legs on the car roof racks used only 1 nut sert compressed

so if done right its BOMB proof strong too and water proof too .......

i hope this detailed TECH on the only correct by the book approach i am

personally aware of helps , .....

and also :

WELCOME BACK To MUD .........

DSCN1297.JPG

:)

Last edited:
I would remove all the bolts for the top and lift it enough to see if the windshield has the two correct fixed nuts. Also picture of the top of the windshield from inside. Pictures of the entire area in many cases those are more helpful trying what is actually going on. 82 windshield would have a washer nozzle too center. Picture of the inside would know if it has it or not. Many times a all original FJ40 OEM parts from different years.

Body shop seal the windshield washer nozzle which I didn't blow up since I got a really good deal. PO had the washer nozzle hooked up to the hood.

Do you have a picture of the inside of the windshield? The access hole to the washer nozzle in the top of windshield is rather large to easily fill in.

Always find it interesting when vendors who have been around for years can't get their dates straight. In this case it's CCOT. The first post shows middle channel 75-12/78 then 79-84. The change date was actually 9/77 when the 78 model started.

I will search for these rivet nuts, but what is the OEM size of the bolts or holes? I will try to match them if possible. Summit Racing has US specs. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom