Newbie Reed P from Alabama...my intro! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, Guys. Long time lurker, first time poster...just wanted to introduce myself. First cruiser was an original paint, super clean Fj62, owned it for a bit and like a dummy sold it for some decent profit in the hopes of finding a nice 60. Here is the 62...fully stock except for the 32's and aftermarket radio. It was almost "too nice" for me.

blue cruiser.jpg

Well, you know the story...life happens and time flew by, almost 8 years without anything in the garage. This past October my pops and I road tripped up to Indiana and picked up the copper 84 and all is right in the universe again! Its your basic modded ride, as you can see...has a few issues but is a solid start.

20191129_074955(1).jpg

The wife, dogs and I love to camp, and the 60 is going to need to be able to pull our 1950's 16' Yellowstone around, so more power is going to be a requirement....here is our camper, completely redone inside, and left with all its charecter outside. ...I pulled all of the wood out and the skins off and built a full aluminum inner frame, put in a shower, toilet, hidden a/c, sink and fridge. Its tiny, but works perfect for us. I will get around to finishing the exterior trim and scotch brite-ing the outside this upcoming fall. We have been using it for the past 3 years as is...just mainly going to the beach and short drives. I pulled it with my 2006 honda element, while not ideal, the trailer only ways ~1600# before packing it full of my wifes "stuff", lol.

20191130_103923.jpg

Our two GSD's, Addie (9) and Luna (2), both are from the same family, just a few generations apart..they go everywhere with us daily.

20191110_101224.jpg

For the power side of things, I was pretty set on the typical LS swap, but being the guy that never wants to take the typical easy path I started searching for Toyota options. Researched the 1FZ-FE's for a while and got a little bit discouraged because of the "unknowns", but after a complete engine, trans and case out of a 94 popped up for sale right in my backyard I decided that I was going to tackle the swap. A quick trip to Cullman Al and I got to meet @Dlathem and picked up the future heart for the project. Without going into full detail, the current plan pull the head and have it gone through, fit studs and a good gasket and get the engine ready for its metamorphosis to an economical, reliable and efficient power maker :rofl:. It will probably test my last bit of patience, but we will get it done!

The required poser shot of the adventure...lol.

20191207_100329.jpg

A little background on me, this is my 21st year in the high performance turbocharger business, and before that I worked in the 4wd industry with my father. I have high hopes that we can come up with a solid solution for power and durability out of this platform....I think it is almost a perfect storm for this to happen. Time will tell! I created an instagram account, @wookie_fj60 just for this project, if you are interested in following! As the parts collection builds and the project gets underway I will post up the content here on Mud.

Thanks for looking and sorry for the long rambling post, just a little bit excited to get this all going!

...now back to lurking, lol :D

Reed

Awesome! My initial thought was that you weren't going to see a whole lot more power with the 80 series drivetrain but given your background I think you can make it happen haha. Where in Alabama are you?

Thanks guys for the kind words...I figured the truck may be familiar to some of you. I have not been able to wipe the smile off my face since I got it. I would roll it just the way it sits if I never had to tow anything, hehe.

Let's see some more of that camper. We wanted to go that route but prices kept climbing and trailers kept getting rougher. Went with something newer in the end.

Great looking truck.

Thanks! I will add some pics of the camper for ya later, it was (and is still!) a ton of work. This thing was a basket case that we drug home for $350.00...so you can imagine what all we had to do :D I would never do it again, lol!

Awesome! My initial thought was that you weren't going to see a whole lot more power with the 80 series drivetrain but given your background I think you can make it happen haha. Where in Alabama are you?

Yeah, it is going to be quite the undertaking, but I am excited to learn. The current plan is to utilize a Haltech Elite engine management system, twin turbochargers so we can get the proper resolution and power band, liquid to air intercooler(s) located in a custom intake manifold to save space under the hood and keep it tidy...blah, blah etc. First step is to get the engine mounted up and then take a step back and evaluate. I have a very reasonable goal of 350-400 flywheel HP that is delivered smoothly so it is easy on the drivetrain. My shop and I are located just South of Birmingham In Pelham (central al), BTW

nice! turbo'ed old stovebolt tech, anticipating this powerplant build

I thought about turbo'in the old 2F, but I think I like the rods and crank staying inside the engine, lol. The new powerplant will be the 1FZ-FE out of the 80 series...it is getting the turbochargers :D

hey reed, i'm not that well versed on the 80's, but is not the 1fz-fe the same basic architecture as a 2f?

They are a completely different engine, the 2F is a "camshaft in block, 2 valve engine" more similar to designs we are used to seeing in the late 50's through the mid eighties. The 1FZ is a more modern double overhead camshaft, 24 valve engine used starting in the 90's and carried over into todays current vehicles. In it's original form it displaces 4.5 liters and makes a little under 220 HP. Here is the head off the 1FZ:

engine_parts_cylinder_head_for_toyota_1fz_1fz_fe_11101_69097.jpg

About the only thing they share in common is the firing order :D . I am going to set the 2 side by side as we get around to the swap, the later engine appears to be a tad longer due to the the timing chain and camshaft gear area in the cylinder head and about the same height. I have found a few guys that have done the swap, some have better pictures than others...but I hope to do a fairly decent job of documenting what all is involved!

Love that color!!! Awesome looking rig... Love the front bumper + rack!! Wanna do that on mine!!

Major bummer you mention the pull behind work without pics...come on dude. Show us the goods in that camper interior!!!

Welcome to MUD!

Chris

They are a completely different engine, the 2F is a "camshaft in block, 2 valve engine" more similar to designs we are used to seeing in the late 50's through the mid eighties. The 1FZ is a more modern double overhead camshaft, 24 valve engine used starting in the 90's and carried over into todays current vehicles. In it's original form it displaces 4.5 liters and makes a little under 220 HP. Here is the head off the 1FZ:

View attachment 2159617

About the only thing they share in common is the firing order :D . I am going to set the 2 side by side as we get around to the swap, the later engine appears to be a tad longer due to the the timing chain and camshaft gear area in the cylinder head and about the same height. I have found a few guys that have done the swap, some have better pictures than others...but I hope to do a fairly decent job of documenting what all is involved!
ok, thanks for schooling me. am i correct in thinking then that the 3fe is the end of the line for the stovebolt based powerhouse?

Love that color!!! Awesome looking rig... Love the front bumper + rack!! Wanna do that on mine!!

Major bummer you mention the pull behind work without pics...come on dude. Show us the goods in that camper interior!!!

Welcome to MUD!

Chris

Thanks, Chris!

The color sold me as well. My memories of the families first car was my moms 1976 corolla that was a very similar color. The camper is getting some finishing touches on cabinents and kitchen storage right after the holidays. I promise to post up a few pics of it when I dig it out. Right now it is storing all my bicycles and camping stuff while we re-do the downstairs family room in the house. Man, I have way too many projects going on right now, lol.

ok, thanks for schooling me. am i correct in thinking then that the 3fe is the end of the line for the stovebolt based powerhouse?

I am by no means a toyota "expert", but yes...the 3FE was the "high tech" variant of that engine family. Shorter stroke over the 2f counterpart. Made a bit more HP and could rev a touch higher. It was the engine in my FJ62, ran great for what it was. I studied building the 2F to make the power I would need to pull my camper, and it was not really "out of reach" for the engines architecture or my abilities...just the cost associated to do it was pretty high. Custom rods, forged pistons, custom camshaft, 5 speed swap, fuel injection conversion...turbocharger :D and associated parts were adding up quick. I figured I could get 200 HP and ~325 tq out of the 2f reliably. It would have been "neat", but definatly a labor of love to put that much time and money into that engine platform to get so little gains out of it.

I am by no means a toyota "expert", but yes...the 3FE was the "high tech" variant of that engine family. Shorter stroke over the 2f counterpart. Made a bit more HP and could rev a touch higher. It was the engine in my FJ62, ran great for what it was. I studied building the 2F to make the power I would need to pull my camper, and it was not really "out of reach" for the engines architecture or my abilities...just the cost associated to do it was pretty high. Custom rods, forged pistons, custom camshaft, 5 speed swap, fuel injection conversion...turbocharger :D and associated parts were adding up quick. I figured I could get 200 HP and ~325 tq out of the 2f reliably. It would have been "neat", but definatly a labor of love to put that much time and money into that engine platform to get so little gains out of it.
Awesome project. I'm right where you are...deciding whether to put in a high-power 2F or swap a 1FZ...we pull a SoCal teardrop, and the 60 in it's current state will not do that well, though I've never tried. I'll follow along...please post up pictures and details of the swap. If I decide to go this route, I will need all the details possible, as I have no idea what I am doing!

Awesome project. I'm right where you are...deciding whether to put in a high-power 2F or swap a 1FZ...we pull a SoCal teardrop, and the 60 in it's current state will not do that well, though I've never tried. I'll follow along...please post up pictures and details of the swap. If I decide to go this route, I will need all the details possible, as I have no idea what I am doing!

I am going to try my best to document it all here, but JIC you missed it I did create an Instagram page just for this project. Follow me there if you are on that platform @wookie_fj60 is the account :)

It is going to be a learning curve for me, to say the least...but I am looking forward to the challenge!

Yeah, it is going to be quite the undertaking, but I am excited to learn. The current plan is to utilize a Haltech Elite engine management system, twin turbochargers so we can get the proper resolution and power band, liquid to air intercooler(s) located in a custom intake manifold to save space under the hood and keep it tidy...blah, blah etc. First step is to get the engine mounted up and then take a step back and evaluate. I have a very reasonable goal of 350-400 flywheel HP that is delivered smoothly so it is easy on the drivetrain. My shop and I are located just South of Birmingham In Pelham (central al), BTW
Stoked to see this. I've been through pelham many times when I lived in hoover....went to church on 119. Nice area

:popcorn:

I am going to try my best to document it all here, but JIC you missed it I did create an Instagram page just for this project. Follow me there if you are on that platform @wookie_fj60 is the account :)

It is going to be a learning curve for me, to say the least...but I am looking forward to the challenge!
Awesome 60 and look forward to more details on the engine swap!

There’s a big Cruiser community in Bham, check out our clubhouse section. Lots of people willing to help with wrenching and anything you need help with!

Btw, I’m right down the road in Cahaba Heights, would love to stop by your shop someday and check it out.

Awesome 60 and look forward to more details on the engine swap!

There’s a big Cruiser community in Bham, check out our clubhouse section. Lots of people willing to help with wrenching and anything you need help with!

Btw, I’m right down the road in Cahaba Heights, would love to stop by your shop someday and check it out.

Cole,

You are welcome to stop by anytime...my shop (Work Turbochargers) is located in the building directly behind 4 Wheel Parts in Pelham, just be ready to be greeted by 2 excitable GSD's, lol. I will check out the Dixieland Cruisers section as well. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom