Newbie recommendation on doing tires, rims, & suspension - limited budget so cannot do all three at the same time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree with most here. Tires first. Deal with suspension lift once you sort out how you use your truck and what other weight related mods you want to do, since you want to match your weight to the proper coil spring rate. I just resprayed my rims shown here and I think lasts pretty long and changes the look decently. Not sure what I’m doing with the truck, so for the time being I just added 30mm coil spacers atop the stock coils. This ended up being a very budget job to get the 80 out of station wagon territory haha.
88C9520A-E508-4965-BE78-359C35AF5062.jpeg

Another in agreement with most here. I spent a day cleaning and sanding my factory rims then hit them with some graphite wheel paint. That was 4 years ago and still no issue with them even with the amount of salt Maryland puts down. The tires will probably the biggest expense so get them first and yeah 285 or 315 should look good once you throw the lift on. Definitely call whoever you're going to purchase from and tell them what you plan to do with the vehicle so you get the right springs.

This is from last fall as an example for painting the wheels. Pretty sure mine is less than stock height at this point lol. I'm stockpiling the lift and wheels until I purchase the tires then will do it all at once. I've got to replace the steering box and some other things before even thinking about lifting it.

20190728_173101.jpg

I actually just did all three but with aftermarket wheels and an ome stock height kit. Might be half helpful but here’s what it cost otd...

Enkei RPT1 16x8 (5 wheels)
- $1562.79

General Grabber 285/75/16 (5 mounted and balanced)
- $1253.17

OME stock height kit (parts from Amazon, local shop install)
- $1605.13

and this is how my truck sits now.

View attachment 2388219
Dude that color is wild! Is that a wrap?

Last edited:
Dude that color is wild! Is that a wrap?

lol, yeah. i was thinking about getting it re-painted but hard to justify 5-7k for a decent pain job on a 25 year old truck I never wash. dude cut me a deal on the wrap for around 2k and I figure it's definitely a bit wild but whatever, it's a fun truck and after a few years when it's all tattered up I can remove it and wrap it a less eye-blasting color

lol, yeah. i was thinking about getting it re-painted but hard to justify 5-7k for a decent pain job on a 25 year old truck I never wash. dude cut me a deal on the wrap for around 2k and I figure it's definitely a bit wild but whatever, it's a fun truck and after a few years when it's all tattered up I can remove it and wrap it a less eye-blasting color
I like it!

I'm in the same situation but skipping the work on the wheels and have been spending on oil change, new spark plugs/wires, upgrading front brakes to Powerstop rotor and pads (and keeping the original rotors in the rear), and other repairs that are needed (new thermostat and wheel bearings).

I have two tires that are in bad shape and have looked through the forum to see what is the largest size tire I can put on a stock 93 LC. Unless I'm mistaken, I think I can do 305/70R/16 with the stock suspension (without having to get longer brake lines and no rubbing) until I save for an OME or other lift.

Currently I'm looking at 5 A/T tires at about $1000-1200 from different brands (ProComp, Kuhmo...). Would like M/T but can't afford it right now and I need new tires.

I’m in the same boat as you. First thing I did was tires. 5 (including my spare from 1993!) was $600 installed. Now I can safely drive the truck. Tires were the cheapest basic 16 inch you can get. Then the lift, did the OME full 2.5 for now (1050$) and then will worry about the rest after I pay this off in 8 months

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom