Newbie questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Newbie questions *Update* Pics Added

Hi All,

I just got my 40 last week...and have started to compile a list of questions about new mods.

I've already changed out all the fluids...and am planning to do my front axles and bearings (needs to be done) this spring.

As things seem mechanically sound (Sammy's [named by PO] a driver)...I wanted to get the 40 some new shoes.

I was utilizing the search feature and it seems that tall and skinny is the way to go...I like the look. So 33X9.50X15 in BFG ATs.
-Will I see any rubbing issues with the stock suspension (I plan on replacing this but at most with a 2.5" lift)
-What kind of mileage hit and engine lug am I going to see...someone said 1-2mpg...is that correct?

This 40 is going to mainly (95%) see the road as a weekend cruiser and some light expedition wheeling on logging roads to find shooting areas.

To go along, with the new shoes I would like to get a set of the white spoke wheels...that I mistakenly thought were OEM. What are the dimensions I need to get? And where can I get them? Will I have to grind some metal off the calipers?

I would also like to replace the shocks...Is there any preferences out there? I'm saving the OME's for the 40th. So I was thinking something like a Rancho 5000. Any comments or suggestions for other shocks? Will replacing the shocks now, necessitate buying other longer shocks if I go with a 2.5" lift?

Finally, what options do I have for 2.5" lift kits out there? Anyone with links?

Thanks In Advance....

Pics are on the way as soon as Mikesta grants me my gallery rights.

Here are the pics: http://www.fjtoys.com/mytoys/main.php?g2_view=core:ShowItem&g2_itemId=2682

Last edited:
I've got the BFG 33x9.5R15 AT/KO on white OEM spokes on my recent restoration - sweet tires. Nice look, they ride well, and are not a "strongarm" issue with manual steering.

No rubbing in the front with stock springs. Clears all the bits and pieces.

However, they barely fit in the rear with stock springs, particularly if the springs are tired, as mine are. For Christmas, the missus ordered me some Alcans with a 2.5 inch lift, which should do the trick for clearance, and clear up my Land Cruiser Lean problem, too.

Not cheap, the springs alone will run $900, but they will build them to your specs - I had mine set up for DD use. They come with poly bushings.

There are OEM white spoke wheels, but they're not original for a '78 - they will fit, however. Did you confirm yours are not OEM?

Finding a set is the trick. Ask over in the "wanted" forum.

HTH

Kirk

MPG should be over 10. I have never checked mine but I don't think it gets that bad of gas milage. I have owned trucks and suvs since I started driving. If you owned a gas saving car you might be in shock. I wish they made the bfg MT's in 33X9.50X15

largenfirm said:
I've got the BFG 33x9.5R15 AT/KO on white OEM spokes on my recent restoration - sweet tires. Nice look, they ride well, and are not a "strongarm" issue with manual steering.

There are OEM white spoke wheels, but they're not original for a '78 - they will fit, however. Did you confirm yours are not OEM?

Kirk

I was actually thinking of the Rock Crawler 82 series, but wasn't sure they (4WP) offered the size I'm supposed to be after.

In my opinion, you will better off going with 16's for that matter...it will be nice on 33's. And 17's would be sweet if you go with 35's. It helps to have less rubber and more wheel when you try to balance them. But you have to make up mind if you will be using them more on the highway or fourwheeling.:)

Draken said:
I was actually thinking of the Rock Crawler 82 series, but wasn't sure they (4WP) offered the size I'm supposed to be after.

fjwagon said:
In my opinion, you will better off going with 16's for that matter...it will be nice on 33's. And 17's would be sweet if you go with 35's. It helps to have less rubber and more wheel when you try to balance them. But you have to make up mind if you will be using them more on the highway or fourwheeling.:)

Sammy is definitely going to see light (very light offroad duty)...so is the 33X9.50X15 still the recommended combo? And that's a 6lug pattern w/ 4.5" of backspacing?

I like my Bilstein shocks!

I've got the Rancho adjustable, I like them and they are lifetime guaranteed

I've got a set of 33.9.5x15 BFGs on my rig and like it a lot. I just added power steering and it made all the difference in the world. I too have Rancho adjustable RS9000 shocks and love 'em.

I have some super swampers and they are terrible on the highway and worse when it rains. I like the tire but not for highway use. I suggested 16's but you will be fine with 15's if you stay with a small tire. Even with 33's you should be OK. It has been proven that if you run 16's, balancing the tire is much easier, hence, you will get better ride on the highway. Toyota been running this combo in other countries and seems everyone here in the US is doing the same. I'm running 16's on one 40 and 17's on the other.

Draken said:
Sammy is definitely going to see light (very light offroad duty)...so is the 33X9.50X15 still the recommended combo? And that's a 6lug pattern w/ 4.5" of backspacing?

Here are some pics: http://www.fjtoys.com/mytoys/main.php?g2_view=core:ShowItem&g2_itemId=2682

The sad thing about this 1 owner vehicle is that the PO recently decided to have a friend paint it....and well the paint job could have turned out better with Krylon. It's a real smooth drive though and hopefully I'll be able to restore some dignity to "Sammy" in a few years with a new paint job.

Lol....the taillights are definitely one of the first things I noticed...Also, on my list of things to replace...just not quite at the top yet.

We'll call the paint job a "Monet"...."Good from afar...far from good". Might not be noticeable, but all my emblems are khaki now.

It is definitely still a nice example Cruiser though. Alot better than most

cabron said:
It is definitely still a nice example Cruiser though. Alot better than most

Yeah , I agree. I wish mine looked like yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom