1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Questions (Sorry)

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Suspect, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Suspect

Suspect

Hi everyone!

Been lurking in the forum for a couple of weeks and finally got my crap together enough to post something. I'm not a cruiser owner yet, but I recently discovered that the insane insurance situation in Ontario actually makes it cheaper to insure an older truck than a car of the same vintage.

This led me to start researching Cruisers as an alternative, because if you can't drive something new, you might as well drive something unique. Here's what I'm lookin' at as of now:

60 Series, 6 cyl diesel, 5 speed manual, it's going to be a daily driver with a fair amount of highway driving.

Now for the (proabably very elementary) questions:

1. What kind of gas mileage am I looking at with this engine? I know diesels are better on fuel than gas, but by how much?

2. How serious is the rust problem on these vehicles, and how difficult is it to correct?

3. Is there a website or publication that can give a general overview of the technical aspects and terminology of 4wd vehicles? Looking through the site makes me realize that my general auto knowledge is not gonna be enough.

4. Finally, is this a realistic idea for someone on a fairly limited budget, or should I just go with some cheap sub-compact and leave the cruiser dreams until I'm makin' the big dollars?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys and gals can provide (sorry for the long post). :cheers:

2. s79bj40

s79bj40

60 with a diesel 6 should get you 20-23 miles US gal maybe but it gets better with 5 speed and lots of hiway. The rust can be a major ppain around the roof area starting in the gutters. And down around the sills under the body in the wheel wells. But sometimes they can have rust in some places and not others. But by far the easiest way is to make sure that it has absolute minimal rust to start with, because fixing it is a big job if its far gone.

You should def look for one, but really if you are on a budget finding a diesel 5speed with minimal rust in the states could be a very time consuming and/or expensive exercise.

sam

3. Suspect

Suspect

I'm in Canada, and they to pop up on autotrader every so often.

Thanks for the reply!

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    " 4. Finally, is this a realistic idea for someone on a fairly limited budget, or should I just go with some cheap sub-compact and leave the cruiser dreams until I'm makin' the big dollars?"

Dive in head first and go for it!

Good luck!

-Steve

5. s79bj40

s79bj40

well if you have seen a few around, it def shouln't be a dream, because it happens to be a fantastic car for a reasonable price and spending some time looking should turn you up a completely rust free job without spending too much. At least thats the situation here and i assume its the same as canada.

Make sure that you check the guttering well, and the seams in the bodywork in the hard to reach places.

6. hj60

hj60

I love my country. But sometimes I get envious of Canadians. :)
    I don't even own the rig I got my username from. :-/
    Hey, Suspect - When you do see them pop up on the trader, how much are they going for?

7. hammerhead

hammerhead

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=11095;start=msg100208#msg100208 date=1076043300]
    Dive in head first and go for it! [/quote]
    No doubt dude. You'll never be sorry you got a cruiser. 8)

8. folsom50

folsom50

Media:
  9. Suspect

Suspect

Thanks for the replys evryone!

HJ60, the ones I've seen on autotrader seem to run anywhere from 3-6 grand (Canadian). The one for 3 says "body needs help in a few places", but I'm not sure if this means a little surface rust or worse. I've got a few months to look 'til I've got the money anyways.

Also, one more question. Do the auto trannys on these trucks really eat that much power? Just asking in case I spot a solid auto one in my price range.

Thanks again!

10. dylan

dylan

be sure to check the frame as well. i don't know if ontario uses as much salt as b.c but frames are the biggest problems with cruisers here. the diesels go forever (400,000 to 500,000kms)

11. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

[quote author=Suspect link=board=1;threadid=11095;start=msg100362#msg100362 date=1076086229]
    Thanks for the replys evryone!

HJ60, the ones I've seen on autotrader seem to run anywhere from 3-6 grand (Canadian). [/quote]

Isn't that like $0.86 US Dollars? :D

Cool being in NH as we see a few grey market and legit rigs every now and then LOL!!

12. hj60

hj60

[quote author=Suspect link=board=1;threadid=11095;start=msg100362#msg100362 date=1076086229]

Also, one more question. Do the auto trannys on these trucks really eat that much power? Just asking in case I spot a solid auto one in my price range.

[/quote]

Auto trannies eat up a little power by their design. If the A440F(?) is equipped with a lockup converter, the power loss is significantly reduced on the highway, as the torque converter effectively becomes a clutch at lockup.
    The upside is nearly infinite torque multiplication, and the more power you put to the tranny, the less likely it is to slip.
    But when you're talking about a diesel, who cares about losing a few HP and NM?

13. hj60

hj60

My plan is this:
    Since my 60's body and frame are almost perfect, I just need a cowl/firewall, drivetrain and title from an HJ-60. Then I can transplant my frame and body, and sell my drivetrain to anyone who needs a rebuildable 2F/H42/HF2A.
    Heck, I could even use a BJ-60, and put a 2H or 12H-t in later. It's the VIN that I really need, to be legal in AZ.
    But again, this is all in the future, as I haven't the money ($CDN or $US) to buy another 60 right now. :-/

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">