Newbie question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fyton2v

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm new to the board and know about as little as a man can about automobiles so please forgive me.

What the hell is a differential locker and what would I do with one?

About me...

I live in SoCal, but I like to spend as much time as work and family will allow in the Sierra Mountains. I'm looking for a used Land Cruiser for road trips/wife's primary car. A '00 100 series is in my price range, but I kinda like the looks of the 80 series better. My wife is fine with either. We currently have a Mercedes ML, but the lease is almost up and I will soon be giggling my way to the dealership to return this car.

My main goal is to get a capable/comfortable car that will work well in the snow and back country car camping/fishing etc... It also may be good to note that intend to keep this car until the wheels fall off so reliability is key.

What's a better deal? A '97 with low miles or a '00 with even lower miles? Keeping in mind longevity, reliability, etc.

Thanks!!

My past SUVs..
00 Merc. ML 320 (pretty mediocre)
98 Ford Expedition (worst car I've ever owned)
95 Chevy Tahoe Sport (my favorite SUV thus far, but my wife made me sell it because it only had two doors.. damn her. She kept muttering something about children...).

fyton2v,

Try this write up to understand our 80 series when equipped with the F&R diff lock option:
http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/george_couyant/diffs/diffs.html

The 98-99 100 Series had a rear diff lock option. They are independant front suspension (IFS) vs the 80 series with a solid axle front and rear. The solid axle is generally considered more capable for off-road performance.

If you're looking at '00 and up 100 series then you don't need to search for the diff lock option since none of the US vehicels will have it.

The 100 series are considered to be more comfortable than the 80 series. The 80 series are considered to be more capable off-road. Either will be an excellent choice for something to "keep until the wheels fall off." The newer 100's have a lot of bells and whistles like NAV systems, bun warmers, and real cup holders.

To determine which is right for you, why don't you and the wife drive both and then decide?

-B-

Since you are not likely to take it off road for any major rock crawling, I vote for sticking with something like a 98 100 series. You get the 8 vs the 6 and you can still find one with rear lockers.

The 100 series is a very capable truck. I would not buy one for the strict purpose of offroading it, but I take some trails that you may choose to avoid. The IFS vs solid axle is a decision I don't think you need worry about given the goals you seem to have of daily driver and occassional offroad excursions.

Either way, you'll be in great shape. There is really no bad choice.

looked at both 80 and 100 extensively...
my thoughts:
- if $$ are few or if doing extreme offroading (big boulders etc) is important to you, then get the 80.
- otherwise get the 100.
HTH
Eric

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=9990;start=msg88819#msg88819 date=1073886863]
looked at both 80 and 100 extensively...
my thoughts:
- if $$ are few or if doing extreme offroading (big boulders etc) is important to you, then get the 80.
- otherwise get the 100.
HTH
Eric

[/quote]

Eric,

now you want to tell us that the 80 is a poor man's car ???

I have driven a '99 100, a 03 Prado (latest model) and my 80 and I can tell you that only the 80 has the charme of a real offroad rig. The Prado and 100 are soft, soft, soft and you can more and more compare them with all competitors. Nobody stopped me with a 100 or Prado but my 80 always get people who are asking if I want to sell it. No, there are worlds between an 80 and the rest. You can stay with your 100 and newer but I will remain with my shining LC 80 VX Limited.

BTW, what has a 100 that a 80 VX Limited does not have? Only the V8.

Mike

2v:

I have a 99 100 with Rear locks. I am very pleased with the truck. I do not do any rock climbing. However, I live on a farm and pastures and farm roads can quickly become swamp like. My truck handles them very well. Likewise, snow is not an issue. I certainly cannot say I have had the pleasure of going out west to see what these 100's wil do, but my has treated me well for a stock set up. You can find 99's with the rear locker all the time on ebay. I bought mine for 24k with 54k miles. For what it is worth, you can take a stock truck, put an agressive tire on it and go into many places most drivers would not care to go. I would go as new as you can afford. But either of your choices are a good choice. They are great vehicles.

Your wife will probably like the 100 better since it is more cushy. My wife loves to drive ours. It will handle just about any snow with no problem, and most off roading duties. I really consider it to be a luxury SUV.

Thanks for the help guys! Beowulf, that link explained what I what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Well... I guess I'll need to find an 80 to test drive.

If everyday driving and softer ride is needed why not consider Lexus LX450? I believe these has softer suspension.

Test drive Toy LC, Lexus LX, LC100, LX470. Make a decision.
In my mind, all of the above are superior vehicles compare to other SUV Ihave driven in the past.
I have driven 99 Yukon Denali. Very nice and big. Sad to see no third seat option but bun warmers for front and back is awesome.
97 Ford Expedition E.B - I hate that air adjustable suspension. Big clunker.
88 Full Size Chevy Blazer - Beater but worked nice till 177k miles.
94 Toy LC - Very nice and lots of fun but had to sell for the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom