Newbie Q (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ended up with a Unseen 2000 LX470 with 160K Miles (Seems like a 5 owner car) for less than $5K.
Off this week & I guess I was looking at too many videos on LC's and ended up bidding on one.

This is not my primary car, wanted to get a LC under $5K. Having said that..
This is a NY car for most of its life, How does a 100 series rust over time? this is an unknown variable for me.
Should I expect it to be like any rustbelt car thats 18 Years Old?

Known stuff..
1. TB/WP Changed onetime.
2. AHC Deleted and is on a Offmarket suspension
3. Known issues - One of the Window switch needs replacement & Rear A/C Leaking Water.

Plan is to just enjoy the truck for now, No Plans to upgrade/modify at this point. (Will probably get the required fluids/oils flushed as required)

The only possible answer without seeing the car is... it depends. I live near Syracuse, NY, and have been here since 2000. Spent twenty two years prior to that mostly further north where it's colder but, thankfully, not quite as much salt usage. Where we live now is probably the salt capital of the world, and it's almost impossible to combat it if you drive the same vehicle year-round (which I mostly do). Folks who really want to preserve their cars for the long haul drive "winter beaters" in the winter... basic reliable cars that are "disposable."

Sooo.. it depends on..

1. Where in NYS it's spent it's life. If it's in the rust belt (say, an hour or two north of NYC up to Watertown, including Syracuse, Rochester, Albany, and Buffalo), I'd say you're in for an unpleasant surprise unless...
2. The previous owner(s) all drove winter beaters and saved your LX for non-salt seasons (basically, April 1st- Nov 1st)

or

3. Religiously washed the underbody after driving on salted roads after almost every snow. No one really does this, and even if they did, some say that drive-through underbody washes just drive the salt in deeper. I'm in that camp, to be honest.

I had a '93 Range Rover that stranded us down on the outer banks of North Carolina years ago; fuel pump died. Nearest pump was in Virginia Beach, about a three hour tow from where it broke down. The dealer there saw the rust on the bottom and declared the car on its last legs. It was nowhere near that bad... just a lot of surface rust on the frame, gas tank straps, etc. We drove it for many more years until I just gave up on all of the electrical problems. They just don't see cars from central NY down there, so it freaked him out. Be prepared. Your LX is a tank, but it rusts like anything else does. If you search around this forum, you'll see a thread where folks post shots of rusted cars, getting opinions on how bad it looks. Take a good look at those examples just to have some idea of what you'll probably find. The issue isn't necessarily that it'll be so rusty that it's unsafe and the frame won't be strong.. in my opinion, that's probably unlikely and you should be OK there. The problem is going to be when you want to do any kind of maintenance; bleeding the brakes, AHC system, brake work, suspension work, anything that requires moving a fastenter under the car. Working on a rusty car is the opposite of fun. That's why I drove six hours south to buy our LX that spent it's life in Virginia and Maryland prior to us buying it a few weeks ago. Of course, I paid almost three times what you paid for yours, so there's that... you're $10K ahead!

These things do not resist rust at all.
Mine has been a Michigan truck it's whole life, lots of rust. But I am used to that. Mine is an '04 and gets ran through the carwash often.

My wifes Sedona, also a Michigan car it's whole life is an '06, she never washes it, and I mean never. And it has zero rust. ZERO.

So expect tons of rust.

I am greatly disappointed in how quickly and easily these things rust given the original purchase price. I expect more from a $80k vehicle.

3. Religiously washed the underbody after driving on salted roads after almost every snow. No one really does this, and even if they did, some say that drive-through underbody washes just drive the salt in deeper. I'm in that camp, to be honest.

That’s the reason I get a little upset when people come out west, buy a truck, and take it back to the rust belt. Sort of like watching the beginning of the end.

That’s the reason I get a little upset when people come out west, buy a truck, and take it back to the rust belt. Sort of like watching the beginning of the end.
I understand. If it's any consolation, our ML500 will be doing winter duty, not the LX.

These things do not resist rust at all.
Mine has been a Michigan truck it's whole life, lots of rust. But I am used to that. Mine is an '04 and gets ran through the carwash often.

My wifes Sedona, also a Michigan car it's whole life is an '06, she never washes it, and I mean never. And it has zero rust. ZERO.

So expect tons of rust.

I am greatly disappointed in how quickly and easily these things rust given the original purchase price. I expect more from a $80k vehicle.

Maybe stop washing yours so much. I know it's just a theory, but if your wife's unwashed car isn't rusting, and your faithfully (drive-through?) washed car is....maybe my theory is correct, and the pressurized water from the washes IS driving the salt further into the recesses of your car. Rust needs moisture.

Wait....you live in Texas and you bought a vehicle from a rust belt State?

I'm looking for an emoticon shaking it's head...but I don't see one. :frown:

Maybe stop washing yours so much. I know it's just a theory, but if your wife's unwashed car isn't rusting, and your faithfully (drive-through?) washed car is....maybe my theory is correct, and the pressurized water from the washes IS driving the salt further into the recesses of your car. Rust needs moisture.

My truck was never washed by the original owner because of electrical gremlins. Once I got those sorted I starte washing it once a month.
The underbody flush is not a high pressure rinse so I do not see how it can drive salt farther into anything.
But I do understand your theroy. And while I do not agree with it I think it warrants more investigating.
I am going to look into it farther.

My truck was never washed by the original owner because of electrical gremlins. Once I got those sorted I starte washing it once a month.
The underbody flush is not a high pressure rinse so I do not see how it can drive salt farther into anything.
But I do understand your theroy. And while I do not agree with it I think it warrants more investigating.
I am going to look into it farther.

I'm not even sure I agree with my own theory... especially after today's fiasco. I'm amazed by what nice shape the frame, crossmembers, and sheet metal are in in my car, and how awful the fasteners have rusted.

I'm not even sure I agree with my own theory... especially after today's fiasco. I'm amazed by what nice shape the frame, crossmembers, and sheet metal are in in my car, and how awful the fasteners have rusted.

I have been researching since I posted and the nearest thing I can find is that in the dead/end of winter some of the car wash water may have salt in it but the amount is negligible.

My truck will literally turn white from the salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom