Newbie Q: Manual locking hubs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sJs

Threads
I hope I'm not rehashing any old threads (my search only came up with references to foreign TLCs and pre 100's), here it goes:

Has anyone ever put manual hubs on their truck (replacing the flanges)? I can see numerous benefits to this mod, but i've never heard anything about it on this forum or anywhere else...

It can be done on 3rd Gen 4runners (http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/man_hub_conversion/), but I'm assuming that the TLC IFS is a different animal... any thoughts?

Cheers,
Santi

Manual hubs come on the LC 105, as it's part-time 4wd. But as we all know, the 105 is really an 80 chassis w/ a 100 body.

Are you looking for better fuel mileage? Those with 80's that have switched to manual hubs have noticed no increase in fuel mileage. Though there are other reasons for doing the conversion. There are non-US 100's they came from the factory with part-time 4wd. Either El_3Grab or Siglo could probably tell you more about those.

Even if you did a conversion, you'd have to drive w/ the t-case locked, and still would be needlessly spinning the front driveline and wasting fuel that way. The V6 4runners have some kind of part-time 4wd t-case that is not locked all the time, but nothing like that for the V8 4runner. Not sure if the V8 tundra has anything like that?

Jim_Chow said:
Even if you did a conversion, you'd have to drive w/ the t-case locked, and still would be needlessly spinning the front driveline and wasting fuel that way. The V6 4runners have some kind of part-time 4wd t-case that is not locked all the time, but nothing like that for the V8 4runner. Not sure if the V8 tundra has anything like that?

Well, for one thing, i don't think it would be wasting fuel - granted, the joint would still be spinning (that can't be helped, since most shift on the fly mechanisms work that way too), but since it wouldn't be catching on the flange/hub, you would notice a gain (even if small) - personal experience from a Trooper i used to have.

But the main gains would be less strain on the ifs - coupled with the diff drop, i think you have greater lift potential (in ref to CV life and such).

I guess no one has done it to a 100 stateside (im not so enthusiastic as to import parts [lazy], just wanted to see if anyone did it domestically)?

You'd also have lighter (easier) steering up front w/ the front wheels disconnected, plus as you mentioned, CV joint life is light years better. If one does use extreme CV angles, the suspension downtravel up front is still nearly nil. Isn't this still the case if the diff is dropped in that travel is a function of the A-arm design?

I don't think the higher lift is worth the sacrifice in down travel. What size tires are you wanting to run with the larger lift?

we have done it hear in UAE .. they bought the hubs from AU .. and used it in the Full time 4wd V8 LC ..

in now time .. they switch the T-Case from HF2A to HF1A .. it easier way to get the 4wd ..

The Q is why ?? ..

we make this swap to have fun with the rear wheel .. in your case .. what you are looking for .. better fuel mileage (not so much) or more notble performance ? ..

Well, it wasn't for any application in particular - I was just trying to pick at the collective ih8mud brain to see what options were avaliable :)

back from the dead!

is anyone running manual hubs now? i mean swapped into a US market 100. beyond performance (either at the fuel station or on the pavement), i see this as a possible preventative/recovery for front diff explosion. if not reducing the wear and extending the life on the front driveline, then at least allowing an easy way to limp back into town after the thing explodes...

just curious :) could be a cheaper alternative/for-long the necessity to rebuilding the front with ARB. but i guess you would have to toggle the CDL every time you hop in for a drive :frown:

OIC! for that kind of money i would just install the ARB. i was really wondering if any of the old yota aisin hubs would bolt on for a few hundred dollars, to guard against front diff problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom