NEWBIE outa Oakland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey 6040, I also have a 12/68 titled as a 69, frame number 64770. I just finished going through it mechanically and it is a true survivor. I am working with my son on a 72 nut and bolt frame off that has some similarities with what you are doing, @Jdc1 Removing SBC conversion going back to Toyota 1972 frame off. When you go to a 2F an easy way to do it is keep your 1F intake and carb and install it on your 2F. Keep your 2F head intact it is much better and quieter than the 1F head. Keep your breather assy and this combination will help you with the clearance your gonna need with the brake master. They call this dumbing down a 2F. When you go to the four speed it is slightly longer so check your clearance with the cross member on the frame. You can cut it and clock it back for more clearance or make the crossmember a bolt in. For the front water pump clearance if I remember correctly a water pump from a 72 FJ55 will clear the radiator assembly, If your 69 has not had any brake conversions you will be going from 9mm brake lines, and master to 10mm to match up with your 60 stuff. This is a great time to consider a 10mm dual circuit master cylinder setup. From another build questions I believe your 60 axle for the back the springs do not have to be out boarded because the ass end of your 40 is wider than the front. Welcome back to the madness.

Last edited:
Wow, lot to process there.

Looks like I will have to redo brake lines which I was considering anyway. FJ 60 Booster didn't seem to fit, gonna have to find something smaller.

Would prefer to keep the 2F head cause it's newer but read somewhere putting the F head on the 2F made a higher compression motor (Hot rod 2F 😀) kinda silly..... probably use the 2F head.

Last edited:
Wow, lot to process there.

Looks like I will have to redo brake lines which I was considering anyway. FJ 60 Booster didn't seem to fit, gonna have to find something smaller.

Would prefer to keep the 2F head cause it's newer but read somewhere putting the F head on the 2F increased compression numbers.

You can keep the 2f head but use the F intake/carb and exhaust to keep the carb closer to the head to clear a possible booster. Also you won’t have to change the throttle linkage.

Moving along a bit, got some body panels off and checked on where I think the cooling line for the power steering could fit in. They seem to want to run in front and behind where the break line runs under the front clip.

Also removed some heavier items from the tub hoping it will be easier to separate the body from the frame. Seems like if I can jack it onto horses or some supports of some kind I could roll the frame out from under.

IMG_20191128_131123293_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191128_141047338.jpg

IMG_20191128_150842850.jpg

Sorry about the long post. It is a lot to process. It was late here and I didn't want to miss something.
But in the long run, good to consider now before you get too far.
One correction I need to make is the water pump we used was a 1978 fj55 not a 71
GLWB

Sorry about the long post. It is a lot to process. It was late here and I didn't want to miss something.
But in the long run, good to consider now before you get too far.
One correction I need to make is the water pump we used was a 1978 fj55 not a 71
GLWB
Sorry about the long post. It is a lot to process. It wa

OK so looking like most of us get a little time off to our selves, gonna get back to plugging along at this. Got the body off the frame and everything is looking good, only light surface rust and no cracks in the frame!

I think I will try and reuse the four speed and split case that came with the 2F I am transplanting to the 40. Also going to keep the parking brake on the 60 rear axle I will be using. The 60 bell housing has a different bolt configuration where the motor mounts attach than my stock bell housing. I have a bell housing from a 76' FJ55 that looks more compatible so gonna see if I can mount that on my stock motor mounts between the 83' 2F and four speed/split case combo?....any input?

I intended to clean up the body and POR15 it by hand but hopefully everyone can get back to work soonish I would really prefer to have this frame sand blasting rather than do it with a a wire wheel!

Cheers

IMG_20200325_172220760.jpg

IMG_20200326_185714109.jpg

IMG_20200326_185802014.jpg

IMG_20200327_202808239.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom