Newbie Obtains 80... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I determined that I really needed an 80 with Lockers, and so I went and got one.

The Good:
A 97 with 80K and lockers. Thanks to the info I gleaned from this list I was able to verify that everything was there and was originally installed on the vehicle.

The Bad:
Smells kinda sweet inside. like a urinal cake. And the tires are pretty new. (I was hoping to have to replace them right away)

The Ugly:
It's black with the gold package. I suppose this means I'll have to have a ARB bumper plated in order to remain true to the character of the vehicle :grinpimp: Actually, I am concerned that black armor on a black rig is going to look a little too Darth Vader. I don't want to intimidate the other vehicles. Well, not too much.

And there's awful imitation fake burl wood trim applied to the pristine battleship gray leather interior. Looks hideous. I gather I can remove this with a heat gun and some bug and tar remover. If it doesn't clean up well, I may just put on a carbon fiber trim package. I'm getting pretty good with fiberglass. Maybe I should fab a carbon fiber bumper?

I'm guessing I'll need to redo the fluids, get an FSM, and start on some basic mods like the CDL switch and cupholder. I've searched a bit but I haven't found a definitive list of preventative maintenance items and service intervals. Per usual (for me anyway) there is no owner's manual with the rig.

If anyone else is looking I spotted a locked LX450 at a local lot through Autotrader and looked it over as well. It looked pretty but I haven't looked at enough cruisers to be able to spot many mechanical issues.

-Erik

You got a nice cruiser. I'm driving a broke ass 91' :cry:

Gold looks tacky but hey your driving a 97 80 with lockers and black, my dream 80.

Oh and the usual welcoming :flipoff2:

Urrrk said:
The Bad:
Smells kinda sweet inside. like a urinal cake. And the tires are pretty new. (I was hoping to have to replace them right away)

-Erik

Congrats on the new purchase! :flipoff2:

I would address the "urinal cake" smell right away. Could only be some smell good thing the PO put in there .....but it could also indicate a problem with your cooling system and thats something you DONT want to malfunction. A sweet smell inside is a classic indication of leaking coolant/heater core type problems. Best of luck!

:cheers:

Congrats on your purchase and welcome :flipoff2:

Post some pics!

Welcome to the club.

I'm sure you know our gang sign... :flipoff2:

About the urinal cake smell. When I bought me LX450 it smelled very clean because the dealer just finished detailing the interior. Well when that smell disipated the truck had a distinctive barn yard / smoking smell. It took me a whole bottle of Fabreeze and some Pet carpet cleaner to get the smell out. Plus I cleaned the intire interior by taking apart the center console and the dash. Now it's :princess: approved.

Oh ya, where are the pictures?

Congrats,
Get you some george LED's, mot clear lights, and since you have concerns about the all black darth vader look go for the stainless armour.
Its your $ not mine :grinpimp:

IMO blacked out rigs are pretty sweet. Look for pics and I think you will find that the black LCs look fine with black armor.

Welcome...my 97 is a gold badge addition. I swore that the first thing I would do is replace the emblems, but after hanging around here you'll find there are far more important mods to think about. oh yeah... :flipoff2:

Congrats and welcome aboard :flipoff2:

NorCalDoug said:
Congrats and welcome aboard :flipoff2:
Well, you know you are official when the President has welcomed you! :flipoff2:

Nice purchase.

Romer said:
Congrats on your purchase and welcome :flipoff2:

Post some pics!

attachment.php

The real problem with a black Cruiser is that you need midday sun to take any pictures of it.

-Erik
cruiser3.jpg

wb1948 said:
IMO blacked out rigs are pretty sweet. Look for pics and I think you will find that the black LCs look fine with black armor.

Yeah, actually the black on black is pretty nice. Though black seems to be a favorite color of the 24 inch rim crowd. :rolleyes:

My main concern is that black cars get kinda hot in the sun.

-Erik

LR_RESQ said:
Welcome! :flipoff2:

Make the drive down to Portland, OR. We'll take it up and give it a proper "break-in" at Brown's Camp. :D

I'll actually be down that way around the fourth of July. Maybe I'll make a little side trip to Brown's and see if I can find something mellow to try out.

-Erik

You've gone to the dark side. Salud! :flipoff2:

Black is best. Except where it is really hot.
Cheers,
Sean

Urrrk said:
The real problem with a black Cruiser is that you need midday sun to take any pictures of it.

-Erik

Welcome :flipoff2:

Now go find some mid-day sun. :flipoff2:

Congrats on your new to you Cruiser. Glad you got lockers, now you can get some OME, lift that rig and you are all set. Show us some pixs. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom