newbie needs help with code 28 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just broke out the paper clip trick to diagnose the engine troubles and came up with a sub oxygen sensor/circuit or ECM problem (28). I haven't got the FSM yet and have been trying to make my way with the cliff notes version (haynes TLC's), so in short I'm having difficulty locating the things I need to connect my voltmeter to to find out what the problem is. I have about 400 miles of driving to do this weekend and not much time this week to try and figure out the lay of the land. Is this a problem I need to take to the mechanic before this weekend or will I be ok for a while until I figure out the problem?

So,

What are you driving?

Dan,

He's got a 94...pulled it from a previous post of his. :D

I'm just excited to use this Big Ass FSM I got from you. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Code 28 comes up as the #2 O2 sensor. It just says that while driving at normal speeds that particular O2 sensor read between .35 and .7 volts for 60 seconds or more.

Since I've been through one of these before, I'll pass on the suggestions. You can check your VIN to see if, by the slightest chance, the O2 sensors weren't replaced under a Toyota recall. You can also reset the Check Engine Light and see if it comes back quickly. If it truely is bad, you should see it back in 60 seconds. Or just replace it. My .02!

Thanks for the help...I'll be callin toyota with my vin# tomarrow. I can't get that FSM soon enough. A week ago Ebay had the '94 FSM for $75 but I passed thinking a new one wouldn't be much more and I could get it quicker at the dealer. Wrong on both accounts. Live and learn. Doin a lot of that lately...

Gwood,

It depends on the dealer :rolleyes: .

Safado has it right :cheers: Good job grasshopper ;) .

Chances are that the sensors have already been done but I would still run it, every VIN I have checked in the last year had already been done. Must of the original owners were very good about bringing them in to get done. Toyta sends out re-notifications to vehicles that have not been done and the dealer gets a copy of the involved vehicles in his PMA. IIRC the last one we got had "no involved vehicles" on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom