Newbie needs head check! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been using the site for several months as a guest and finally decided I needed more help than a simple search can give. Great site by the way!!

So,long story short... the dumbass I bought my 1970 FJ40 did a number on the head. Not sure why, but looks like the oil tube broke off from the rocker assembly and instead of fixing he crimped the tube and manually added oil from time to time until he sold it to me. Unknowingly we’ve been driving for the past year. I’m sure you can see where this is going... luckily we caught it before the motor seized. Haven’t pulled the head yet.
So my question...rebuild or find another head already to go? Either way, where’s the best place to go for parts?

So I guess PO wasn’t a dumbass...I am merely uneducated on the external oil line system in this f engine. I’ll take some pics tomorrow, but there is some kind of broken line that was installed through the top of the valve cover and connects to the top of the rocker assembly. But there is also a copper tube under the rocker assembly that appears to have been connected at one point but is now crimped. Any ideas on why this is and why the head is so dry??

1. You need to buy a silver star in order to support the wealth of knowledge available here.

2. Once you have the ability to post pictures, please do so.

3. Post your engine serial number. It's located on a flat surface, just above the starter.

Too many questions such as yours have been answered incorrectly due to lack of all the facts.

So I guess PO wasn’t a dumbass...I am merely uneducated on the external oil line system in this f engine. I’ll take some pics tomorrow, but there is some kind of broken line that was installed through the top of the valve cover and connects to the top of the rocker assembly. But there is also a copper tube under the rocker assembly that appears to have been connected at one point but is now crimped. Any ideas on why this is and why the head is so dry??

not the first time this has come up, there have been several pics of external oil lines routed to the rocker arm assembly, either with a head change that had different oiling than stock.
one recently IIRCC around Seattle had an older head on a newer block.

generally it must be working as the rocker assembly would not run for very long without oil going to it.

/this\

1. You need to buy a silver star in order to support the wealth of knowledge available here.

2. Once you have the ability to post pictures, please do so.

3. Post your engine serial number. It's located on a flat surface, just above the starter.

Too many questions such as yours have been answered incorrectly due to lack of all the facts.
Thanks! I'll get some pics and the engine serial number on here this afternoon.

For the record, I didn’t sell the FJ40 to him. 😏

My situation sounds a lot like the description above. I have oil now routed from the oil pressure sender by way of a tee through a hole in the valve cover and into the rocker arm assembly. My engine is from November 1974 and it appears the head is from somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom