Newbie needs advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. As the title suggests I'm a newbie not only to this forum but Toyota's all together. After reading and hearing about the reliability of the 4runners and land crusiers we have recently started looking to get rid of our boring SUV because it just doesnt for our personality. So a local dealership here in town has a 2010 4runner trail edition with 187ish miles on it so we went out to look at it, looked great drives great. Also on the lot was a 1997 lexus lx450 it has 160ish on it, new leather front seats, armour front and rear bumpers, winch, old man emu suspension, snorkel kit and brand new 315s on it. Both are roughly same cost and to be honest I like both of them in different ways. Have also been told the lexus is the best of the best...so let me have it...give me some advice on what to look for, pros and cons. This would be her daily driver. She is a stay at home mom with two kids under 8 years old. Thanks.

Are you into working on the vehicle? The 4runner will get better gas mileage and be a better daily driver. If she's ok driving a lifted, heavy, rig like the LX then go for that. I think you know what answers you will get posting here...The LX will hold value and it only has 160K. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Having had a 4th gen 4Runner (yes, the one you’re looking at is a 5th gen) and current owner of an 80, the 4Runner is much less on maintenance. It’s a jump in and drive vehicle. The 80 is great, but it has more of a pre flight checklist. They both shine in their own rights. If you enjoy tinkering, maintenance and have the time, jump on the 80. If you’re just wanting something to jump in and not worry about, the 4 Runner is your best bed.

Have you considered that the 97 is more rare and that 4runners are everywhere? In other words if you get the 4runner and decide you would like to switch to an 80 you will have to look long and hard for a quality one, but if you get the 97 you can always sell it and trip and fall on to a 4runner...

-Do you enjoy / get personal satisfaction working on vehicles?

If not, forget the 450.

Do you already own a well stocked toolbox (one so big it’s on rollers) - and a place to do work hopefully indoors type garage, and don’t mind laying on cardboard/greasy yoga mats for doing work?

If “no” again, really forget the 450.

-Do you / can you carfax the 450 to see where all it lived, and can you take it to a shop for a PPI?

I’m sure it’s got a little surface rust underside, but if it lived in Chicago or NYC, it’s prob got some rot.

I’m personally dubious of a modded 450/80 that is on a lot - either someone blew the headgasket or some other big component is out, and decided to get rid of it before paying to fix, or they simply needed a commuter rig / change of lifestyle & you found a gem on a carlot.

You need to buy a local 80 guy some good brews after you guys look it over - find someone who can tell you the right noises & the expensive wrong noises.

But unless you have a surplus of cash, or enjoy wrenching - 80’s are for the guys who are wiling to “breakdance on cardboard” & have a real collection of tools onhand. They are one of those rigs where this forum has the answers, but you gotta own the tools.

Otherwise they become a moneypit.

Wow...quick and great responses. I do like tinkering with cars but when it's the car my wife and kids rely on I would prefer it be more tinker free most of the time. The local dealer is a specialized Toyota off-road type shop that builds rigs and also sells them. Again I don't know much about either one I have always been a GM guy. From what I had read online and some in these forums before I joined is that these 80s are tanks that run forever and don't require alot of maintenance...it seems this isnt the case?? and also suppose that depends on one's definition of "alot". Appreciating the feedback...please keep it coming.

The 80 is a great vehicle, but I would be hesitant to use it as an everyday vehicle. For one, it gets horrible gas mileage. My combined on my LX, lifted is about 11 to 12 miles to the gallon. I have spent a lot of money to get it leak free. The sun visors sag. All that being said, I have a 2014 FJ, 2001 Tundra which are both 4wd and the 80 is my favorite vehicle to hop in. I use it for mountain trips and recently did a four day campout with rough logging roads and creek crossings. Because it's locked, it did outstanding. This was all in a three day prior rain btw. But if I am headed to the outer banks, it's FJ all the way.

Routine maintenance isn’t really a problem. It’s the fact that most of these haven’t had routine maintenance in many years. You’re playing catch-up on an unknown vehicle from day one. Throw in old rubber, seals, gaskets and the likes... and well you get the picture.

Once the “routine” maintenance is caught up on and various other bits and pieces replaced, they are fairly trouble free. I would figure an extra $3-5k in your budget to bring it back to its prime.

As mentioned, that 80 is either a freshly polished turd or a diamond in the rough.

The dealership is saying it will baseline the vehicle. Would that get it "caught up" on the things it was possibly neglected on. I crawled underneath the 80 this evening. Looked fairly rust free but did notice an oil leak possibly from oil pan gasket. The radiator looked new to me Definetly not the original, had red coolant hoses which the guy showing us the car said was some type of upgraded hoses but I forgot the name already.

My wife loves driving my 80. It's rare that she needs to as we have other vehicles, but she always gets the "WTF...that's a chick in an armored/lifted 80" look, which she enjoys. Not practical at all for a typical DD. Kind of an obsessive/enthusiast-type truck that sucks up a lot of time/money, but that's part of the fun I guess.

They aren’t scary, but there’s a good reason you get “the nod” from any 40/60/80 guy (mebbe you 100 guys get it too, never owned one).

Everyone who knows me knows my 80 in my hickville area - enough so that all the local LEO’s just wave as I do them since we all do range time together.

No matter how ‘cool’ I make my Tundra, it’s still just a “bro truck” & I know it - LC’s just breathe ‘rarified air’ (forget the movie that is from, but best states my thought) - a guy who keeps a 20+ yr old LC in good shape is either rich enough to cut checks, or just makes it a priority & knows little tricks like grease in all sockets & terminals you touch, paint marking torqued bolts, -that sorta stuff.

It takes a deep wallet or talent & satisfaction in a job well done to keep a 80 making all the good noises. They are worth it when they are doing it.

Otherwise, if you have a bunch of young girls with no interest in vehicles/dirt/oil & a lifestyle that doesn’t allow time to make your 80 maint (once baselined, it doesn’t need much - really) possible, get the T4R.

That 80/450 sounds like it has been shown some $$$-love, so IDK - I’d want a local to make sure it was a full basketcase if you pass on it. It may well have a baseline done & even if not, might be worth it for the mods on it for you to make time to baseline.

Just don’t expect it to act like a 3-5y.o. Camry right off the lot.

If you buy it, it’ll more than likely get ‘in your blood’.

The tools & workspace will need to be thought of though, if neither are a current part of your household. Just saying.
Otherwise, we all have a minimum of $1500 or alot more in tools we use regularly, and are familiar faces when we buy grease, oil, RTV, yadda yadda -at the local parts store.
Part of the cost of ownership and not having a car payment, and owning a bitchin’ 4wd. ;)

go for a 100 if its going to be a family daily, and if deep pockets go for a 200.

80's have pretty much reached or nearing their 25 year service life and the ones who stick around have the knowledge, patience, dedication to their beloved cruisers to keep them in tip top shape.

In summary, get the newest and most well maintained cruiser you can afford, baseline and reap years of reliability.

Last edited:
"In your blood" is an understatement! Buy both. Drive the 4 runner into the ground and slowly tinker with the LX, making it your own. I am happily married with three mistress' in the driveway. Who has a t-shirt claiming "Land Cruiser widow"?

To me, the decision would be 4 Runner for the wife and kids. The preflight checks of a Land Cruiser are real, the maintenance schedule of OCD MUD members such as myself is real, the keen ear for all things wearing or worn out is real. $1500 in tools made me smile, which tool box?

I have a Camry with ZERO personality for work. I have the Land Cruiser for pleasure.

EDIT: Forgot to welcome you to the forum :flipoff2:.

I think if you do a full baselining and maybe a bit more, an 80 is likely a 50 year car. Mine is nowhere near being halfway worn out and it's going to be 25 in a couple of months. It took about $15,000 worth of parts and countless hours to get it there, but much of what I did had to do with getting rid of functional yet really rusty components.

It's a great truck though and I don't regret my efforts but as @LINUS says, having a shop and lot of tools or the desire to buy a lot of tools is reality. Otherwise, being able to tackle any job will be a PITA. Paying someone to do everything will get old, fast.

I'll echo everyone else. Once baselined, the 80 is a rock solid reliable vehicle. If not maintained, you should get it up to snuff. I daily drive mine and have put 40,000 miles on it in the last 2 years. I have only had 1 failure.... broken alternator belt. Luckily, there are 2 on the engine, so I didn't even have to stop my trip. I just replace when I got home. (with real Toyota stuff)

Where's @BILT4ME ? He is local to you and would be my recommendation to check in with and look over the rig with. An stock 80 is fine for family duty, a built one is also ok but somewhat unnecessary if only staying on paved roads.

Also if your wife will be driving the vehicle have her actually drive it before buying to see if it will work for her needs.

I would dare to say that what a dealership defines as baselining bares little resemblance to how the members of this forum view that term.

Yeah, unless they are doing a total blood transfusion, wheel bearings, axles, breaks.... the list goes on, they are not "baselining" it, they are getting it "good enough"

You don't buy an old land cruiser because it makes sense, you buy one because you like them. If you can afford it, liking them is a plenty good reason. Will your wife need to drive long distances? What's her daily driving situation? Grocery duty, small errands on surface streets? Does it get hot/cold where you live? and are you willing to fix the issues or will you pay someone?

I swap daily duty (about 45 miles round trip) between my '97 80 that is stock and my '99 100 that is lifted, 34" tires, rear bumper and drawers... they both get atrocious mileage, but I own them both... so the expense on gas is not combined with a payment, so it's a lot less painful. I also enjoy them immensely, and when one is down for some maintenance I can drive the other and not stress about needing it ready to roll on Monday morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom