Newbie needs advice on leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, just joined the group after purchasing a 2006 with 260K on the clock. Today I pulled the skid plate and found oil at the bottom of this case. Not exactly sure if it is a transfer or differential case but more importantly I would like to know what you guys think about it. Seems to be a slow leak with 2-3 drips over the past week. Does this need immediate service or can I check the level and keep it topped off? Thanks in advance!
A02B64C9-1B11-486C-B8F0-4EF4C5CC243C.jpeg

What oil leak?

I did wipe it off before taking the pic (not the best idea) and looked all around after taking both skid plates off. No evidence of oil from the engine anywhere. The oil I wiped off did look similar to engine oil with a light brown color but if that's what it is I can see a source. Any other oil have that appearance?

That's no leak. That's rust proofing. Congrats on the 2006.

So I put some dye in the oil and here is what I see. I can’t find any evidence of oil above the area in the pic. Any ideas? Looking from the top down, nothing.
D7BC2A33-43EC-4E31-8AF7-BE807C2D77C5.jpeg

So I put some dye in the oil and here is what I see. I can’t find any evidence of oil above the area in the pic. Any ideas? Looking from the top down, nothing. View attachment 3039275
What part of SC are you in? wouldn't hurt to see if another member can lay a second set of eyes on it just to see. I know I can look at something 1000 times and miss an obvious detail.

My guess is cv axle seal or valve cover leak. Is this oil tacky and thick or smooth when rubbing between fingers? Gear oil from diff is going to be much thicker and less viscose then engine oil. Try snugging up valve cover bolts and see if leak goes away, be careful very low torque spec on those bolts.

What part of SC are you in? wouldn't hurt to see if another member can lay a second set of eyes on it just to see. I know I can look at something 1000 times and miss an obvious detail.
I'm in Simpsonville near 385 & Harrison Bridge Rd.

My guess is cv axle seal or valve cover leak. Is this oil tacky and thick or smooth when rubbing between fingers? Gear oil from diff is going to be much thicker and less viscose then engine oil. Try snugging up valve cover bolts and see if leak goes away, be careful very low torque spec on those bolts.
I put the dye in the engine oil so focusing on where that might leak. Good idea about the valve cover bolts. Just really weird I can't see anything on the top part of the motor even with the dye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom