Newbie mile question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2013 LX. 158K.

Cream Puff and babied until I got it at ~150K or so. One owner, under Lexus warranty until 120K and now under 3rd Party Warranty until 2023. Only dealer serviced. Owned by a C-Suite exec (lady) and really well taken care of. It shows in the maintenance records how she requested things like the AHC fluid and diff fluid be changed even though it wasn't specifically recommended. 😄 Couldn't have asked for a better first owner. I have been taking exceptional care of it as well while enjoying it on small camping trips.

Last edited:
2013 LX570 183K. I am the second owner. Original owner commuted from Winter Park to Denver several times a week for work, hence the mileage. Always dealer maintained. I recently had multiple AHC component failures including the pump. So, now she's riding on OME BP-51"s and 34" Duratracs. Zero leaks, and has been completely baselined by me after purchase. I will be replacing the cooling system at 200K as preventative maintenance.

2020 - 10k
2020 - 11k
2014 - 125k
2004 - 275k
1999 - 100k

All still in the garage with the exception of the 99.
Geez! I have 30k on my ‘20 already. Maybe I should garage it for a year 🤪

Just hit 220k on my 2008 LC. Out side of dealer regular maintenance had the starter done at 190k, radiator at 199k, and timing cover gasket at 213k. Runs like new. It's a Amazonian as well....

20220731_183119.jpg

20220731_183150.jpg

2013 LX570 183K. I am the second owner. Original owner commuted from Winter Park to Denver several times a week for work, hence the mileage. Always dealer maintained. I recently had multiple AHC component failures including the pump. So, now she's riding on OME BP-51"s and 34" Duratracs. Zero leaks, and has been completely baselined by me after purchase. I will be replacing the cooling system at 200K as preventative maintenance.
What exactly did you do for baseline?

With every vehicle I purchase that is new to me, I do an oil change. Replace all filters. Drain, and refill diffs and T-case with new Mobil 1 gear oil. I check the condition of the coolant, and if it looks clean, and fresh, I leave it. If not, then I do a coolant flush. I also do a brake fluid flush as well. That always seems to be overlooked. On the LX, it had been done prior to my purchase. When I installed the suspension, I upgraded the front brakes to the '16 LC brakes. So, I technically I still did a brake fluid flush. On all of my Toyotas, I always use OEM everything, with the exception of engine, and gear oil. I always have, and will continue to use Mobil 1. Our fleet of Toyotas has almost 800,000 miles on them, and they all run like new.

With every vehicle I purchase that is new to me, I do an oil change. Replace all filters. Drain, and refill diffs and T-case with new Mobil 1 gear oil. I check the condition of the coolant, and if it looks clean, and fresh, I leave it. If not, then I do a coolant flush. I also do a brake fluid flush as well. That always seems to be overlooked. On the LX, it had been done prior to my purchase. When I installed the suspension, I upgraded the front brakes to the '16 LC brakes. So, I technically I still did a brake fluid flush. On all of my Toyotas, I always use OEM everything, with the exception of engine, and gear oil. I always have, and will continue to use Mobil 1. Our fleet of Toyotas has almost 800,000 miles on them, and they all run like new.
Do you do anything to the transmission fluid?

I drain and fill trans fluid every 50k. I replace the filter, drain and fill every 100k. I know I'm going to get hate for this, but I use the compatible redline transmission fluid for Toyota WS fluid. I can get a 5 gallon bucket for alot cheaper than the comparable quarts from Toyota. I have used this fluid for years in all of my WS vehicles, and have never had any issues. As far as the LX goes, it had a trans service at 165K. So, I'll do a complete service on it at 200K along with the cooling system. I might also replace the trans. cooler at the same time. Depends on how bad my OCD is when I'm doing the work.

Last edited:
I drain and fill trans fluid every 50k. I replace the filter, drain and fill every 100k. I know I'm going to get hate for this, but I use the compatible redline transmission fluid for Toyota WS fluid. I can get a 5 gallon bucket for alot cheaper than the comparable quarts from Toyota. I have used this fluid for years in all of my WS vehicles, and have never had any issues.
So Lady I purchased the LC from isn’t the 1st owner and she had it for roughly 50k and didn’t do any transmission service to it. Keep in mind the LC has 127k just wondering if I should do a service (empty and fill not a flush) starter and radiator have already been done

Me personally, I would do a drain, and fill as part of a baseline service. Then, down the road, do a filter, fill, and drain service. To a lot of people, my wife included, I tend to go overboard when it comes to maintenance on our fleet. I also think I go overboard, because we use the hell out of our vehicles, and I would be mighty pissed if something failed at 13,000 feet because I neglected to service it.

Fluids are cheap (relatively) piece of mind. If you don't know, better to just go ahead and do it. A few hundred dollars is not big in the grand scheme of things.

If you think it is, you probably shouldn't have a a luxury rig like a 200 series.

It will have 200K on it. Since I will be replacing the cooling system, might as well do it as well. Just my OCD for preventative maintenance. I'll probably replace the lines as well.

'13 LX w/ 84k

It will have 200K on it. Since I will be replacing the cooling system, might as well do it as well. Just my OCD for preventative maintenance. I'll probably replace the lines as well.
But what is the actual concern with the cooler? Blockage within the core? Bent fins?

I found that my 175k mile lines are as-new other than the coating of dirt on them, for what it’s worth. Then again I go to the effort of putting spring hose clamps back into the exact position and orientation to reduce physical strain on that area of the jacket.

I'm mainly replacing it to eliminate any sort of debris or blockage within the cooler itself. As well as I want the component itself to be new along with the rest of the cooling system components I am replacing at the same time. It eliminates a possible failure point in the vehicle cooling system. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the cooler itself, I just want to ensure that the vehicle has the most cooling capability possible with new components. Again, it's my OCD not allowing me to just keep running what's in the vehicle, and wait for a failure to occur before replacing it.

2013 with 69k mi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom