Newbie looking to buy - Thoughts on disclosed blue smoke issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I'm an enthusiast in Virginia looking to buy my first LC. I've spent a few months reading the forum here from time to time and certain other unnamed forums (okay, Land Rover). I've made up my mind to go the Toyota route and am now having fun seeking out my rig. Anyway, there's a 1996 posted on a Craigslist within easy driving distance, but the seller says it has blue smoke. He's posted the asking price as $6,000 with 150,000 miles. Here's the posting: Toyota Land Cruiser

What I'd like to know is, do you think this is an honest asking price? I see it's within the range of Kelly Blue Book for fair condition but what would I be getting into with the oil leak problem? Is this pretty common and a relatively easy fix or would I be looking at potentially huge problems? Any thoughts are appreciated. But don't be too rough. :)

A lot of red flags... poor spelling, he thinks its a V6 (it's not) and not to mention the smoke issue.

They are way better cruisers out there that you can buy from competent people for less money. Pass.

Blue smoke from the tail pipe is not an easily repairable external oil leak, like a valve cover gasket. Could be very expensive internal engine issues. If MIGHT be a fair price at half the asking. Take your time, and shop around. You'll find a good deal eventually. John

Patience is a virtue! Keep looking :popcorn:

I've owned 6 (maybe 7) 80's, I can't even remember anymore... At any rate, spend the money and get a proper Landcruiser, it will cost less in the long run. I'm in the market for another 80, unless it comes from a mud member, I would not even consider.
Can you turn a wrench? Let's assume you cannot, and buy the 96 for 5k. Plan for the following:

Head Gasket replacement
Front axle service -
Front crank seal
water pump
rear main seal
cap, rotor, plugs, wires
PHH
etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.................. 5k out of pocket, easy.

Remember, these trucks are old. Don't go in blind, find one that's been properly maintained (oil change receipts a mile high from jiffy lube do not qualify).
I would hate for an uninformed buyer to purchase one of these in this economy and get burned. As cool and reliable as these trucks are, they are extremely maintenance intensive and far from "cheap"
Is 6k a fair asking price for a "v6" 80? Remember, he said no low "balers"

Blue smoke= oil going into the wrong place. could be a simple repair such as valve seals all the way to worn/cracked piston rings. STAY AWAY!!! Wait for another! He says he can wait, let him keep it. The most I would pay if the vehicle is in that condition... $2K. Mileage is relative, mine is a 92 and have 144 miles well kept. M daughter's, 73,000 in excellent conditions. There's Cruisers out there with over 200,000 miles and run perfect, but blue smoke to me is a BIG red flag!

I've owned 6 (maybe 7) 80's, I can't even remember anymore... At any rate, spend the money and get a proper Landcruiser, it will cost less in the long run. I'm in the market for another 80, unless it comes from a mud member, I would not even consider.
Can you turn a wrench? Let's assume you cannot, and buy the 96 for 5k. Plan for the following:

Head Gasket replacement
Front axle service -
Front crank seal
water pump
rear main seal
cap, rotor, plugs, wires
PHH
etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.................. 5k out of pocket, easy.

Remember, these trucks are old. Don't go in blind, find one that's been properly maintained (oil change receipts a mile high from jiffy lube do not qualify).
I would hate for an uninformed buyer to purchase one of these in this economy and get burned. As cool and reliable as these trucks are, they are extremely maintenance intensive and far from "cheap"
Is 6k a fair asking price for a "v6" 80? Remember, he said no low "balers"

Well said jhanley... Keep looking. There are other out there that are not smoking...BIG RED FLAG.

Good luck

I would definitely pass.

If you find any others up this direction send me a PM and I'll be happy to take a look for you. If I were you I would look to your south. When I was searching for mine I found most of the rigs from Southern VA, NC and SC to be in generally better shape than those in WV, MD and PA.

Happy hunting!

Yeah, the seller of this LC is totally ignorant about the vehicle and has obviously let maintenance and repairs completely slide. He is counting on another ignorant person thinking it's no biggie and a good deal.

I'd say that if the interior, body, and drivetrain were all clean and in good shape, you could assume $8000 and subtract the cost of a full engine rebuild with all new gaskets, axle rebuild, etc... etc... and you'd probably be in that $2000-$3000 price range. This seller is probably right that there is a sucker out there willing to pay more than this amount, even though this seller probably doesn't even realize it's only worth $2000 to a knowledgeable person.

Buy from a 'Mudder.

Walk away from ones like this. But go check it out so you can see an example of what not to buy.

I'd pass... lot better deals out there than that.

If the owner is willing to pay for the cost.

Have him take it to a trusted shop, there the tech should be able to put him staight on the real costs of fixing this LC.

3rd Party with no interest in the sale should be more than enough to settle any rapair cost argument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom