Newbie Locker Question...Apologies in advance ha (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Acquired a 96 LC FZJ a couple months ago. I have been reading a lot of the rookie tips and tricks but one thing keeps coming up about lockers that I can't find. While my 96 does not have the switch to the left of the steering wheel I read on Slee that it still may have factory lockers just not a actuator switch. Is this true and how do I check. One thing also is when I have put it in low the light comes on at the bottom of the dash and says center diff lock. Thanks for any help and again sorry for the Newb question.

Acquired a 96 LC FZJ a couple months ago. I have been reading a lot of the rookie tips and tricks but one thing keeps coming up about lockers that I can't find. While my 96 does not have the switch to the left of the steering wheel I read on Slee that it still may have factory lockers just not a actuator switch. Is this true and how do I check. One thing also is when I have put it in low the light comes on at the bottom of the dash and says center diff lock. Thanks for any help and again sorry for the Newb question.

CENTER diff lock (transfer-case) applies automatically when the rig is put in low range, so that is normal and correct.

Front & Rear Diff locks (Axles) would need to be engaged via the rotary switch (if factory). I haven't heard of a L/C (from the factory) that had lockers without the switch. There may have been certain models with the 'wiring' present.

Just look under the rig and see if there are actuators on the third members. Also...if factory equipped with lockers the door tag should be coded 'K294'.

difflock.jpg

That was the note on Slee that there may be wiring just just no switch but wanted to make sure...thanks for the info much appreciated

That was the note on Slee that there may be wiring just just no switch but wanted to make sure...thanks for the info much appreciated

Slee is referring to the CDL, the FZJ80's didn't come with the switch on the dash to engage, so it only works when you shift to low range. The CDL effectively switches you from AWD to 4x4, sending power 50/50 to both axles when locked. The wiring is present behind your dash, you just need to purchase and install a switch so you can lock it in 4x4 in high range as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom