Newbie Intro and a question for the OGs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't worry, I haven't started on anything mechanical yet. I've messed around with old cars for a while and definitely have made some silly mistakes in the past. Do you prefer MMO over Kano Kroil?

I plan on getting started this weekend. I still have to get one of my other projects out of the driveway.
In my neck of the woods MMO is everywhere even engine oil is better than nothing i would soak it for a few hours or overnight. I would remove the valve cover and check valve clearance if rockers look dry and crusty pour a lil bit of diesel fuel over it and hand crank the engine making sure all rockers are free.

Is there a way to replace the window without removing the stainless trim?

Using my '5 screwdrivers on the inside' method, you don't remove or disturb the stainless trim - it just comes out with the rubber gasket, which you handle carefully to avoid bending the trim.

If you still have all the emissions and don't plan on de-smogging the FJ60 I can do a complete refurbishment. I've done several recently for other MUD members. Plus I can do a quick turnaround. PM me if interested.

For recurves and testing, FJ40Jim is where to go.

I'm undecided about de-smogging, and I do still have all the emissions (as far as I can tell). The reason I am undecided is because I will be moving to Europe within the next two years and don't know if I will be taking it with me. If I do take it, I'm pretty sure that I will need it to have all the emissions equipment. Well, at least if I plan on visiting any large cities and driving this thing. I've learned that if you are driving in the EU, every country and every city has different emission standards and restrictions. I spent so much time at inspection stations in our rental car last summer, and paid at least two fines for violating (unknowingly) emission restrictions in different cities that I will probably advice people from driving there. lol. I will PM you about your services for sure. Thanks for the reply.

In my neck of the woods MMO is everywhere even engine oil is better than nothing i would soak it for a few hours or overnight. I would remove the valve cover and check valve clearance if rockers look dry and crusty pour a lil bit of diesel fuel over it and hand crank the engine making sure all rockers are free.

I have always used Kroil, but will pick up MMO on my way home tomorrow. Thanks for the tips!

Hi, The trim on front and back glass is easily removed with the tool used to install and remove it.Lisle 47000. Mike

Thanks for the response. I will pick up this tool this weekend. I found the glass I need from a guy here in town and it will come in handy. Thanks!

I’m going to recommend you don’t take your 60 to Europe. Sell it in the USA and buy something else over there. Every country in the European Union has different rules and many make California look like a breeze. Also fuel is 2 to 4x more expensive in most of Europe than it is here. Fuel here is around $2/gallon for regular around here. Think when I was in Denmark a year ago it was about $1.50/liter or about 5.70/gallon. Some countries tax you on displacement annually so a 4.2 2f is going to have a big tax on it vs a little 1.3 turbo diesel VW or Citroen.

I’m going to recommend you don’t take your 60 to Europe. Sell it in the USA and buy something else over there. Every country in the European Union has different rules and many make California look like a breeze. Also fuel is 2 to 4x more expensive in most of Europe than it is here. Fuel here is around $2/gallon for regular around here. Think when I was in Denmark a year ago it was about $1.50/liter or about 5.70/gallon. Some countries tax you on displacement annually so a 4.2 2f is going to have a big tax on it vs a little 1.3 turbo diesel VW or Citroen.

Thanks for your input. I am well aware of the chaotic emission rules and the expensive gas. We were in Europe for 7 weeks last summer and drove all over the place in a rental. UK, Belgium, Czechia, Germany, France, Luxembourg, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and Austria. Too many damn cities to name. We had two different rentals, all of them tiny and gas sippers. It was insane keeping up with each country's rules, and even some cities. Dizzying. I was rolling hard on a Skoda Citigo. If you want a laugh, feel free to Google that. It was amazing driving that POS on the Autobahn.

The FJ would not be my primary vehicle, so I am not too worried about the cost of gas. I have a couple of friends out there that are into 4x4's and do cross country tours on their rigs. It's an expensive hobby, no matter where you live I suppose.

I got a fiesta ST with the 6 speed when we flew to Germany and drove to Denmark last year. Took it to 120 mph which it did pretty quickly but fuel burn really tanks at that speed and I really wasn’t comfortable going that fast. Trip before that in France we got a Citroen turbo diesel with a 6 speed iirc. Also a good car. Trip before that in italy we had a fiat punto diesel. We googled it and learned it was the first car to earn a 0 star safety rating 😂

Thanks for your input. I am well aware of the chaotic emission rules and the expensive gas. We were in Europe for 7 weeks last summer and drove all over the place in a rental. UK, Belgium, Czechia, Germany, France, Luxembourg, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and Austria. Too many damn cities to name. We had two different rentals, all of them tiny and gas sippers. It was insane keeping up with each country's rules, and even some cities. Dizzying. I was rolling hard on a Skoda Citigo. If you want a laugh, feel free to Google that. It was amazing driving that POS on the Autobahn.

The FJ would not be my primary vehicle, so I am not too worried about the cost of gas. I have a couple of friends out there that are into 4x4's and do cross country tours on their rigs. It's an expensive hobby, no matter where you live I suppose.

If you take it with be sure to let us know how it goes and what shipping is like etc. Most people are Bringing vehicles to usa. So will be good to see perspective from the other direction.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom