Newbie here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, just got a 1999 lc100 with 270k miles. Very excited to join the LC community and looking to do some off-roading during the winter in the New England area!

About the vehicle, engine and trans are solid and properly maintained, it was a one owner vehicle with the same family owning it for the past 20 years. However, the body needs a little bit of TLC. I can already identify multiple rust spots: license plate light area underneath the top tailgate. common areas around the front fender, rear fender on both sides, the worst location I have found is the rear fender underneath the bumper, it has gone completely through the body, I'm not sure if I would be able to repair it myself at this point. However, the frame seems quite solid with only some surface rust.

Some plans on the vehicle, the mechanical part seems pretty solid a couple of issues I have identified:
1. There is with a huge clunk shifting from D to P and vice-versa, maybe a bad trans/engine mount.
2. Some terrible resonance vibration happening around 70 and 80. Maybe changing the spring could help, but the struts were replaced by the previous owner not long ago.
3. It will not run straight, the control arm bushing feels loose

Some cosmetic work:
1. some 33in tire&wheels, not trying to lift it at the moment, but maybe
2. fix up the rust all around, not sure what to do with the locations I can't fix myself, the rear fender area underneath the bumper has some curvatures to it, probably wont be able to do it at home.
3. some interior cleaning, the carpet is dirty and stained, the leather on the steering wheel is falling apart.

Look forward to and advice and suggestions on any repair work and mod list and look forward to talking to all of the brilliant minds here!

#1 could be any number of things, and 20 years on it's likely to be a combination of them. The usual suspects are the diff mount bushings and/or wear between the CV axle and the drive flanges. Engine and trans mounts are definitely also a possibility, but way, way lower on the scale of likelihood.

Bushings: Front Differential Bushing Replacement Video and Thoughts - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/front-differential-bushing-replacement-video-and-thoughts.1139030/

And I can't quite locate the one I'm looking for, but @2001LC has a ton of videos and posts around maintenance. Including a great video around the drive flange wear.

For #3—no need to guess. Find a reputable shop and ask them to inspect/diagnose. Should be an hour's labor to get a list of things you'll need to work on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom