newbie here... needs help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
im so glad to find this site! hopefully you could help me pin point and hopefully get rid of the problem that my cruiser is suffering.

i have a 91 cruiser and the problem is when it is running for a long time and tried to turn it off, then i tried to start it again, it wont start. eventually, when the engine gets a bit cooler, then it would fired up again.

i need your help guys. it's great to be here!

Promise you'll use the advanced search function and do some research on your own, ok?

That said, you're experiencing the classic symptom of a failing Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR).

Welcome,

Curtis

My guess it's the solenoid over heating.

Do you still have electrical service for the total truck?

This also sounds like it could be the well documented EFI relay problem the FJ80 owners experience. Replace the wire with a heavier gauge and/or replace the EFI relay with a HD unit from NAPA (research for the p/n)

-B-

follow up question, if the efi relay is the culprit, where is it located?

thanks again.

If it's the EFI relay (big round relay in the underhood fuse box), the Check Engine Light will fail to illuminate with the engine off, key in ON postion. They're cheap enough that you might as well get a spare and try swapping it in the next time the rig acts up to see if that cures it.

But,

I'm tellin' ya'll; it's a failing FPR. ;p

Darn near as common an isue on 3FE's (88-92) as the EFI problem is with 3FE 80's (91-92).

Curtis

P.S. How consistent is it? Does it happen every time youv'e driven the vehicle for, say, 30 minutes or more? Or is it sporadic?

i would say it is sporadic. you'll never know when it will acted up. what i noticed is when it is during the afternoon, when it is really warm it would have a higher chances of it not starting compared to when it is cold at night.

i would say it is sporadic. you'll never know when it will acted up. what i noticed is when it is during the afternoon, when it is really warm it would have a higher chances of it not starting compared to when it is cold at night.

Hmm...

That probably does point more towards the EFI relay; I think there are folks here whose rigs regularly eat a few relays each summer. :D

Curtis

This also sounds like it could be the well documented EFI relay problem the FJ80 owners experience. Replace the wire with a heavier gauge and/or replace the EFI relay with a HD unit from NAPA (research for the p/n)

-B-

thank you very much! engine starts up fine even if it's warm, check engine light went off after i replaced the EFI relay.

EFI relay cost me $28. I don't even mind if i paid too much for it!

EFI relay cost me $28. I don't even mind if i paid too much for it!

You should research this well-known issue. The basic problem is a wiring size problem and the solution is to replace with a heavier gauge wire. An interim fix is to install a heavy duty EFI relay (non-OEM) but you should carry a new spare until you are able to replace the offending wire to the fuse panel under the bonnet.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom