Newbie Help! What is it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks for the add . What is this? Supposedly 1976 from Colombia. Have not seen one with rear gas cap (missing), holes on hood (ornament?) no 4x4 emblem .help! Asking $13K. Thoughts?
Thanks.

11D69FF3-AAA5-4D06-B7FA-C60B06F135E3.jpeg

F6A28B07-3E1A-4FF4-BB76-EBB95B2401DF.jpeg

D1AE45AE-DEE4-4498-A6B6-5F53ED92C52B.jpeg

7B8039D2-684E-405F-903E-7731F7347987.jpeg

Run away! So much wrong with that truck. South American 40's are notorious for being abused, having half-assed modifications and bush repairs. Many are given a quick coat of paint and imported up here to be sold, which is exactly what this one appears to be. I would not buy this truck if I were you; be patient and you will find a much better (North American) one.

Also, you will get a lot more feedback if you would post it in the 40 forum instead of the FJC forum. A moderator can move it there for you.

BJ70 turn signals.
'78 and up front end. With barn doors?
A "what the hell" front bumper.
One ugly roll bar.
Secondary tank removed.
Original gas door eliminated (for some reason).
Why would you want to drive with your head against the bikini top?
Rubber bumpers front and rear and barn doors on a late model are a giveaway that this is truly a SA truck.
What @1911 said. Leave it alone or offer a stupid low price.

Thanks. I’m looking for a nice driver. What do think it be worth? I would love to pick your brain. I need a Mentor!😀 My # is 352-672-1579. Any chance u can text me ur # to call u? Thanks. Carlos

Thanks. I’m looking for a nice driver. What do think it be worth? I would love to pick your brain. I need a Mentor!😀 My # is 352-672-1579. Any chance u can text me ur # to call u? Thanks. Carlos

Carlos, I doubt I would pay more than $15,000 for it, if it checked out in person as good as it looks in a few photos, because I don't particularly want a 3-speed transmission and drum brakes all around. But it will probably sell for more than that, to someone who wants a '74 and/or doesn't care about those things.

What do you want to do with an FJ40? If you just want a cool old truck to drive occasionally on weekends, then the three speed and drum brakes won't matter. If you want one to drive very much/very far, then later models with 4-speed transmissions, disc brakes on the front, and (later still) 3.70 differentials are a lot nicer to drive (in my opinion). If you want to go off-road a little or a lot, then those would dictate some different criteria also.

How much mechanic and auto body experience do you have? You are wanting to buy a 40-55-year old truck; it will need a lot more maintenance and TLC than a newer one. Most of these have some rust by now, some more than others. Both mechanic work and body work will be expensive to pay someone else to do, if you can't do them yourself (or aren't willing to learn).

These are some of the things you need to think about before you can begin to make an informed decision on any Land Cruiser.

I am busy with family stuff right now (new granddaughter) but in a few days after everyone goes home, I can talk on the phone. Meanwhile, spend some time reading this several times over: Buying a land Cruiser

Carlos, I doubt I would pay more than $15,000 for it, if it checked out in person as good as it looks in a few photos, because I don't particularly want a 3-speed transmission and drum brakes all around. But it will probably sell for more than that, to someone who wants a '74 and/or doesn't care about those things.

What do you want to do with an FJ40? If you just want a cool old truck to drive occasionally on weekends, then the three speed and drum brakes won't matter. If you want one to drive very much/very far, then later models with 4-speed transmissions, disc brakes on the front, and (later still) 3.70 differentials are a lot nicer to drive (in my opinion). If you want to go off-road a little or a lot, then those would dictate some different criteria also.

How much mechanic and auto body experience do you have? You are wanting to buy a 40-55-year old truck; it will need a lot more maintenance and TLC than a newer one. Most of these have some rust by now, some more than others. Both mechanic work and body work will be expensive to pay someone else to do, if you can't do them yourself (or aren't willing to learn).

These are some of the things you need to think about before you can begin to make an informed decision on any Land Cruiser.

I am busy with family stuff right now (new granddaughter) but in a few days after everyone goes home, I can talk on the phone. Meanwhile, spend some time reading this several times over: Buying a land Cruiser
Congratulations on the granddaughter! Look forward to speaking with you. Thanks for the info.

Is this also a South American version? What is than in the bed?? Thanks for the help. Lack of knowledge makes it challenging.

Is this also a South American version? What is than in the bed?? Thanks for the help. Lack of knowledge makes it challenging.

That is not a South American truck, from the few photos. It has what appears to be the factory roll bar. Need more photos or someone to look at it in person to know more, but from those few photos it looks like a decent truck. '78 is a good year; it will have the four-speed transmission and disc brakes on the front axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom