Newbie Help - First 100 Series Roadtrip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks - long-time lurker, first time poster. Recently got an 04LC w/ ~174k miles on it. Had it worked over by Toyota: new steering assembly, transmission, diff, transfer case fluids, etc., etc. Tech said she runs like new. That said, I'm getting ready to take the family on the first road trip, so wanted to get some input.

First - I noticed Toyota didn't replace the heater T's. Given they're supposed to be done every 90k, they're either due to be changed or doubly due to be changed, so I'm replacing those this weekend. Is there anything else I'm missing that I should be focused on for a trip like this?

Second - the trip is 2500 mile road trip to Glacier National Park. Anyone taken their LC up that way and have some "don't miss this" spots to explore?

I've really appreciated this forum as it was where I turned for help when stalking my dream LC for about 5 years. You guys do a great job on here. Thank you!

For such a long journey in a new-to-you rig, maybe just double check the front wheel bearings?

Maybe also pick up a BT OBD2 reader so you peek at vitals along the journey with an app like Torque. You may not be acclimated enough to the rig yet to "feel/tell" when something is straying out of whack before it is too late. Total cost is probably $20

I would make sure your coolant system in in good working order, heater T's (as you stated), coolant system hoses, fan clutch, thermostat, radiator cap, make sure the radiator fins are clear of debris, coolant flush and fill.

For such a long journey in a new-to-you rig, maybe just double check the front wheel bearings?

Maybe also pick up a BT OBD2 reader so you peek at vitals along the journey with an app like Torque. You may not be acclimated enough to the rig yet to "feel/tell" when something is straying out of whack before it is too late. Total cost is probably $20

Great suggestion. Thank you! I've got the OBD2 reader ready to rock. Definitely will check the wheel bearings.

I would make sure your coolant system in in good working order, heater T's (as you stated), coolant system hoses, fan clutch, thermostat, radiator cap, make sure the radiator fins are clear of debris, coolant flush and fill.
Thanks, 94SRUNNER. Should have mentioned it - but did have Toyota go through the coolant system. Just didn't replace the T's. As much as I've read here on the T's, it's got me nervous. They're probably fine or they would have replaced them - but they're getting replaced with brass this weekend.

Don't be shy to buy the right tools to get the heater Ts clamps loose. It is so well worth the money. I used large Kiwi pliers and the angle worked like a charm to grip and loosen the clamps.

Hey folks - long-time lurker, first time poster. Recently got an 04LC w/ ~174k miles on it. Had it worked over by Toyota: new steering assembly, transmission, diff, transfer case fluids, etc., etc. Tech said she runs like new. That said, I'm getting ready to take the family on the first road trip, so wanted to get some input.

First - I noticed Toyota didn't replace the heater T's. Given they're supposed to be done every 90k, they're either due to be changed or doubly due to be changed, so I'm replacing those this weekend. Is there anything else I'm missing that I should be focused on for a trip like this?

Second - the trip is 2500 mile road trip to Glacier National Park. Anyone taken their LC up that way and have some "don't miss this" spots to explore?

I've really appreciated this forum as it was where I turned for help when stalking my dream LC for about 5 years. You guys do a great job on here. Thank you!

I live 15 minutes from Glacier Park, I have been turned away several times this year because of the crowds. Do yourself a favor, go there later at night and then plan your trips in the opposite directions. Just be prepared for crowds and no parking spots.

Lots of forest roads around and mountain peaks to enjoy, DM me if you need more specifics.

For the nearby area within an hour

Check out
>> Werner Peak
>> North Fork Rd to Trail Creek Road or Red Meadow Pass
>>Hungry Horse Reservoir ( but this will be crowded ) So aim for Desert Mountain Peak

Why not use metal replacement T's?

Amazon

GREAT replacement for the old 100 series Land Cruiser Heater T's (the OE is plastic). Fair warning, the attached hoses may be a little stretched when you put these on, so be sure to get some WORM clamps to replace the pressure clamps or it will leak- unless you also replace all the hoses.

These were used to replace all of my heater T’s on my 2001 FJ 100 Landcruiser. The original plastic ones turned to powder as they were being taken off. I highly recommend that when taking off the old heater t, Remove them still attached to the hoses, and then take them part on the workbench

Also this will require the use of worm clamps as opposed to the original clamps that were on the heater hoses. Save some money and buy the hoses on line. Some Toyota dealerships offer significant discounts for online sales

To add some info on Glacier Park... You currently cannot access the park from the eastside which sadly prevents you from seeing some of the best parts. However, if you have some flexibility there is plenty to see in Big Sky Country. In the Boulder area there are quite a few fun trails that lead to ghost towns, abandoned railroad tunnels, alpine lakes, etc. Fell free to direct message for specific info.
Cheers,
Scot

With the heater Ts you can see if they are in dire need by looking at them. The one closest to drivers side is the hot side and usually the first to fail. If you see it has pink crusties around the edge of the hose where the T goes in, then it is DEFINITELY time. If not and the ts look fairly new and clean you COULD be OK.

Since you don't know if they have ever been done, it is highly recommended to just take care of them. Either the metal Amazon ones or the TOYOTA OEM plastic will be fine. You can get them from Toyota if you want, or Joey @NLXTACY sells them on his site (Absolute Wits' End).

I would recommend carrying a gallon of extra coolant with you.

I just did my first long road trip NC to CO. Both my water pump and thermostat housing developed leaks, mechanics hypothesis was high RPMs for long periods of time found the weak spots in the system. Likely could have made it home but didn’t want to take any chances so had it repaired. I had water pump replaced last year and had my LC at the dealership the week before I left.

When replacing the heater Ts be careful not to let crumbled bits fall back into your heater lines. Here are mine when I replaced at 210K. I'm guessing they were the originals. Whether you go plastic or metal is a personal preference for the most part. If they are replaced at every 90K interval the OEM plastic should be fine. That's what I went with. Good luck!

1597432782226.png

I'd also start casually perusing the stuff in the FAQ, especially the problems list towards the bottom. At least gives you a place to start and see where the common issues seem to be. I think you've done a good job on pre-trip prep, time to focus on mid-trip stuff

The things I'd be sure to keep in the truck, some that folks have already mentioned
- OBD2 (get a decent one, ~$100)
- spare coil pack
- alternator rebuild parts
- starter rebuild parts
- a decent metric tool set (with a 54mm socket for the wheel bearings)
- jug of red, jug of distilled
- tstat
- heater hose T
- a baggy of random metric fasteners

The only things that have left me stranded before are a bad aftermarket alternator and a stuck tstat.

There are some solid lists of things people suggest bringing, i will see if i can find one

You know...I really wish you guys would have told me how great these Land Cruisers are... I would have gotten one much earlier! ;)

Seriously, though, thanks so much to you guys and this forum. It was an awesome trip.

@Mike NXP told me how to get up Werner Peak. It was awesome and much recommended.

The heater T issue ended up being a smart fix as you can see from the pics below. I can absolutely imagine this snapping on some of the washed out roads we were on.

And the suggestion to bring extra coolant ended up working out as well. Not for us - our Cruiser ran like a dream. But the guy in the Chevy at the top of Logan Pass with a leaking radiator sure appreciated it!

The Cruiser even earned her name on this trip. My son suggested Pegasus when we were on the Going to the Sun road, so she’ll now forever be known as Peggy.

This forum is such a great resource - especially for Noobs like me. I tip my hat to each of you. Thank you!
CC96B36B-7814-4C4A-8BF3-BDB47974C85A.jpeg
F2F0C0AC-8B11-4529-B9EB-E1AF1FDABC42.jpeg
AAB80559-F006-4329-9BB1-B0FE31FFCC61.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom