Newbie headgasket question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I have just purchased a 93 80 series, and have a couple of questions. After lurking around here for a few days, I've noticed the 4.5s seem to have some issues with headgaskets. The truck I just got has a busted piston skirt (ran with no oil), and needs a motor, I have one at the shop that supposedly only has 40k mi on it, and I'm wondering if it makes sense to go ahead and put a headgasket on it while its out of the truck, or leave it be. My other question, is there anything besides the usuall water pump, thermostat, rear main ect that I should be doing to this motor before it goes in? I have 10 years in the automotive field, done plenty of 3.0 v6s, but this is my first 4.5. Thanks in advance, James.

If you have an engine out of the frame I would stick a head gasket in it in a heartbeat. I do not think a 40K motor would need a water pump But I would pull the oil pans and re-seal them and put front and rear crank seals in it.

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. The water pump on the motor that I got just looks terrible, it had been sitting for a long time, and for $50 bucks, I figured why not. The oil pans are almost done now, I would kick myself if I had to do the upper in frame. Anything else I should be looking for?

I thought a Toyota water pump was closer to $180??

50 bucks does not a factory water pump buy.

Do not pass Go, do not collect $200, and DO NOT put an aftermarket water pump on your engine. DON'T DO IT.

And I wouldn't even hesitate, put a HG in that thing before you plop it in the truck.

tarbe said:
I thought a Toyota water pump was closer to $180??
World Pac is a wonderful thing. My cost on an OEM pump is right around $56. Its one of the few advantages of turning a wrench for a living. The only reason I bought a used engine instead of a reman was for the Toyota parts. They built it right the first time, and god only knows what jasper or atk put in their rebuilds. I will only use OEM stuff, unless its a straight up mod or upgrade. Thanks for all the advice, it will definitely be getting a head gasket this week.

Definite PHH, check the EGR hoses and the intake s/b cleaned (has EGR orifice that throws a code later..). Get new aluminum O rings to mate the exhaust to the manifolds - they are crushable type. I'd also replace all the firewall heater hoses with the PHH. Starter contacts would not hurt, and fresh heat insulation on the thick wire bundle that loops by the EGR valve is long term insurance.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom