1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie golfer needs help...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by BigSur, Jun 30, 2005.

1. BigSur

BigSur

Ok, so i started this new job and about 75% of the guys that work there golf as well. All day long i hear these guys talk golf talk and i feel a bit out of place. I told them i have never golfed before and they insist that i need to learn. Also, the company has two golf tourny's a year and i don't want to seem like a fish out of water. So here is were i need some help...

I want to try this sport out but i don't want to spend alot. I don't want to get some no name cheapy chappy clubs and get laughed at (that'll happen once i swing for the first time) so i would like to atleast look like i know what the heck i am doing. So what do some of ya'll recommend in regards to used clubs (i think that is my best route). I don't need any $500 clubs or anything. Just something simple.

thanks

2. Arleaux

Arleaux

Buy used NAME brand clubs.
    Callaway
    Titleist
    Ping
    Tommy Armour
    Cleveland
    TaylorMade
    Reasoning - You can unload them for the same price you buy them at.

I recommend CallawayPreOwned.com
    They will buy them back from you if you no longer want them.

3. srafj40

srafj40

www.golfclubexchange.com

Find a consignment shop.

And yes, ebay. I have gotten some great deals there, RAM tour grind nickle MB ($800) for $75, etc...

4. Arleaux

Arleaux

Oh yeah,
    Don't expect to play well in the beginning, & don't worry about it.
    Everybody sucks when they start. Don't get embarrassed, & have fun.

Later

5. koop

koop

See if you have a Second Swing golf store in your town.

6. ictcruiser

ictcruiser

I would recommend any of the Callways or Pings. Both make very forgiving clubs. The Ping i3 oversize is especially forgiving.

Before you buy a set sight-unseen I'd advise going to the pro shop at a local course. Tell them what you are looking for and don't be shy or embarrased, EVERYBODY had to start sometime. Try hitting a couple buckets of balls with different brands of irons and get a feel for what you like. Most importantly, when you find something your comfortable with, buy it, irrespective of brand or others opinions.

7. flowman

flowman

Media:
    Albums:
    Find a driving range that gives lessons, and lets you try their clubs (most that do this will try to sell you clubs--resist for now.) Pay for some instruction on the basic swing w/ driver and irons, and how to putt. And buy "Golf for Dummies"...you'll get the basic rules, etiqutte, etc, and it's a fun read.

If you have more than one range or shop in town, try them all. The goals at this point are to get comfortable swinging clubs and putting, and to try out as many different name brands as possible. Don't waste their time, but compare the brands you have access to. You can also ask your coworkers what clubs they carry and how they like them. Keep in mind that the best club for them may not be the best for you.

Once you think you know what you like, hit the used stores, consignment shops and ebay with a vengeance. Set a budget for yourself--my first set of irons were knockoffs that cost $30, and they weren't worth that. But I played several rounds with them, and nobody I played with laughed at them. After a few years I decided I really liked the game, and I had tried a friend's callaways at the range, so I was ready to shell out $300 for used x12s. I love them, and don't feel like I need to buy anything better, but it would have been stupid to spend that much right off the bat.

Rough rule of thumb--figure out what you want to spend total (assuming you do decide to take up the sport) and expect to spend 20% on bag, glove, shoes, etc; 30% on woods (driver and 3 wood) and 50% on irons, a wedge or two and a putter. Don't get carried away, but also don't worry about looking stupid--most of the people you'll run into are not really that good. And don't worry about looking stupid at the range--first few times i went I felt like there was a giant "LOSER NEWBIE" sign on my back, but the people at the range are there to work on their own shortcomings, and probably won't give you a second glance.

Be warned--like cruisers, golf can be very addictive--if you enjoy it you'll find that it cuts into your cruiser time and money--start slow and have fun.

8. srafj40

srafj40

It is worse.

Do you ever see a guy practicing his driving of a cruiser over an obsticle in some random public place....No. Do you see said idiot practicing his swing, yup. :D

9. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

I went to one of the indoor places. I had 5 weeks (5 lessons) of lessons while I used a simulator and was able to see the difference the wy he club face hit. They also chacked my swing for what the correct shaft should be. I am a regular shaft hitter. That improved my game a lot. I don't play enough to be great, but I don't suck.

I bought Calloways and I don't regret it. Steel shaft irons and graphite woods.

10. photogod

photogod

Steel shaft cast heads for irons. Cast heads are much easier to use than forged heads. forged go longer if hit properly but the sweet spot is smaller. Go to your golf super store and have your clubs fit even if you are a newb. Take a few lessons to get the basics down and spend some time at the range then get some more lessons.

11. ColoradoFJ60

ColoradoFJ60

I have a decent set of golf clubs I would be willing to sell you. They aren't Callaway's or anything but they do the job.

Also have a nice Adams golf bag with an auto bipod on it and a sweet Orlimar fairway wood.

I was in the same predicament as you are now a few years back. I too was surrounded by avid golfers and it seemed that if you wanted to move up in the company you had to go out golfing with the boys.

I guess I enjoyed it a bit at first but it became very boring and annoying after awhile. You play for two years and still can't bust 110 can get on your nerves. I think that set also is missing a 5 or a 6 iron. I beat it into the ground when I got really pissed off. Busted the shaft in half.

Anyways, I have a ton of golf balls, tees, tools, and other stuff. I gave up on it and now it just sits in the shed. Fishing is cheaper also.

PM me if you are interested. Don't invest 2 months salary on a set of clubs before you learn how to play. Start soft and work your way up. I am so glad I didn't spend $1000.00 on a set of Taylor Made's that I would be selling 5 years later. Don't worry about people laughing at you either. Everybody started off soft and everybody hacked for a good long while also. You can't just look like you know what you are doing because you really don't. Then you look even dumber wearing your Greg Norman Shark shirt with matching Greg Norman Shark cordurouys, $200 Foot Joys, your Titleist glove, your little nifty golf brim hat, plus a king's ransom in clubs, all the while you can't even hit the ball to the ladies tees. Now that looks dumb. Take it from someone who was also in your situation once.

12. atoyot

atoyot

Got a whole set from a thrift store for 15 bucks. Had a nice set of grips put on them and they do just fine. Once I had a kid and ran out of time and money for the sport the clubs took residence in the shed! Ive golfed one time in five years.
    It is fun though if you have the time.
    BTW walking and using a cart are almost two different sports. IMO

13. mabrodis

mabrodis

Now that's my kinda of golf!! :D

I played quite a bit of golf in college, nice courses were cheap in Nebraska, but I haven't played in years now...when I go I just try to get one descent shot, could be a putt, could be a drive, just one that makes me feel good...all the other shots can (and do) suck, but if I have one to remember I'm happy.. :D

14. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    1. buy used ping

2. have the irons re-shafted and custom fitted

3. find some nice used fairway woods, learn to use them

3. try all the drivers until you find one that works (in the shop)

4. try all the putters until you find one that works (in the shop)

practice your swing with the 9iron or pw or sw

yea, you can find deals on ebay, but just like everything else if you do not know the specifics of what you are looking for you can get screwed.

15. haystax

haystax

Get really drunk before you go out on the course - two reasons for this:

1. You have an excuse for sucking ass, pissing off the foursome in front of you, hitting like a girl, and pissing your pants

2. You will probably golf way better than some of your sober buddies, you will swing more relaxed and less tense and might even do better than you thought you would. Every time you beat your friends score for a hole you can really rub it in - "I'm a drunk amateur with Wal-Mart clubs and I kicked your ass on that par 4!! Dude you suck!!" :D

I have a lot of experience as an imposter golfer - the key is to relax and not get caught up in driving the furthest or clearing the water hazads, just play short, make it to the green, keep up the pace with another shot rather than chasing your ball all over the place and drink an extra beer every other hole - that has never gotten me laughed off the course and I've always been invited back - even if it is only for the entertainment of the rest of the "real" golfers.

Most important thing is to have fun, golf snobs will always be assholes no matter what equipment you use and what club you belong to - but who really cares?

16. 3puttcop

3puttcop

I agree Ebay is a very good place for used clubs. I have Pings and highly recommend them but are expensive, even old sets, and have numerous loft and lie variations...Pings are usually fitted.

Dont try using a driver at first...I know its the big club and fun to kill it but drivers get you in trouble fast. I'm a 9 hndcp and rarely use a driver. Use a 3 wood.

17. 3puttcop

3puttcop

18. mabrodis

mabrodis

The actual golfing part is over-rated, but driving the carts is a blast! At a course in Lincon they didn't have the 90-degree rule (drive on the cart-path until you are to your ball then you can drive right out to hit it and then right back to the cart-path), so we'd just tear off down the middle of the fairway...heheh, I can't believe we never got kicked off that course. Man it was fun, we'd tee off then jump the cart off the tee-box...we did the polo thing alot (driving full-speed and have the passenger try to whack the ball, it's alot harder than you think it'd be...also it's fun because the passenger can't really hold on when doing that, so when you're near the ball just jerk to the left and passenger goes flying out..hehehe

Those were gas carts too, so had alot of power...man that was fun, I remember playing in the pouring rain, everyone else left the course, we figured what the heck we were soaked anyway, let's keep playing, rain was really coming down, but also was like 85 degrees, so it wasn't cold at all...bad part is even with a good grip-glove you have to really hold onto them clubs when they are wet...and mother will they fly if you let them go.. :D Several of my clubs had flying lessons... :D Good times!!

19. 2badfjs

2badfjs

i would recomend watching the movie HAPPY GILMORE

that would be the best instructional video IMO

FIND YOUR HAPPY PLACE ;)

20. flowman

flowman

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, that was why I wrote it the way I did--test a bunch of brands BEFORE you start looking on ebay, and take some lessons, so you know what you want. I didn't like pings, I did like callaways, so when I started looking on ebay I knew what I wanted. Same for cleveland wedges.

I dont' find buying clubs on ebay nearly as risky as some other items, bc a lot of the sellers on ebay are stores selling used clubs, and many offer guarantees and accept credit cards. They're just using ebay as one more way to market. That means the buyer has access to a much larger pool of used equipment than they would locally. As always, YMMV. Main thing is, play if you enjoy it, if you don't enjoy it, don't torture yoursefl.