Newbie from Melbourne, Australia (with pics!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys - just got suggested here from /r/landcruisers subreddit. Just bought a 1985 FJ60(62?) after years of looking and wanting a cruiser. Not my first fourby, but my first cruiser - so may as well be. It's got 560k on the clock, but had an engine swap 150k ago. Runs petrol and LPG, runs great on both... Quite economical on gas.
So is this a FJ60 or FJ62... the VIN starts with FJ62, but manual trans and 3F engine. Round front, like a 40 Series. It's got a sunroof, and the high roof in the back. Seats 8, with a fordable rear 3rd row.

Spent today patching rusty panels and getting it ready to pass the Roadworthy inspection here in Aus. Planning on running 32/33x12 all terrains on it, so shopping for something I can afford. From what I've read those should fit fine with no lift (I'm keen to extend the shackles at some point if needed)

To do list at the moment is
1. New tyres
2. fix sunroof
3. get rid of spare tyre carrier (clatters around, and I'd rather put it on the roof rack...)
4. Remove tint
5. Suggestions??

And as promised - here are some pics - not much yet, but I've only had her for a couple days! There is a bit more roof rust to replace.
Would love some feedback on my body work - first time ever welding in sheet to replace rust and then bogging, and I have more to do!

l55pCX7.jpg

3yexQbe.jpg

Worst offender...

Lj0Sd90.jpg

Welded up with little bits of sheet and heaps of filler instead of making a proper one piece patch - was rushing as I was blocking the laneway I parked in near my shop.

Gvg4MFf.jpg

Ground out alright

tKpqt2p.jpg

First coat of bog, partially sanded.

Hey man, welcome to mud and you certainly have a cool rig. I’d say it’s a 62 based on the motor. And it’s got some really cool features with the sunroof, highroof and what sounds like 3rd row seating. Need to post up more pics including the interior and motor. On the body repair, did you use any chemical treatment to neutralize the rust in the sub layers? If not you’ll see this rust again very soon. Also, might want to pull the windshield when you have time to ensure you don’t have additional issues in the channel. I’m impressed that you welded up that hole without melting the window gasket or catching the headliner on fire.

Interesting. I thought all fj62's were auto? Could it have been converted to manual?
Do you know the history of the swapped engine, how many km's?
Quite a unique truck you have there!

I'd say a 62 with the 3F. Have you got any piccys of the spare wheel carrier?

Interesting. I thought all fj62's were auto? Could it have been converted to manual?
Do you know the history of the swapped engine, how many km's?
Quite a unique truck you have there!

RoW (rest of world) saw fj62’s with carb’d 3F’s and h55s. We got stuck with the short end of the stick.

EFI on a 3F is not the short end of the stick, but a mandatory auto tranny is....

Hence the 2-year project, still in progress, to install a rebuilt 3FE, H55f, FJ62 axles, and 70-Series 16" wheels into my '86 FJ60.

Sorry for the delay guys!

On the body repair, did you use any chemical treatment to neutralize the rust in the sub layers? If not you’ll see this rust again very soon.

What do you suggest? I Didnt use anything - but keen to flood blast the area in between the two layers of roof before I seal it up. I've heard fish oil? My wife is pregnant so nothing that smells of fish... haha

RoW (rest of world) saw fj62’s with carb’d 3F’s and h55s. We got stuck with the short end of the stick.

As an American expat, I find alot of long sticks down here. One being they do 4wd really well! '85 62 Sahara has factory 3F, 5 speed, and carbies!

Historically it was used for "geology in the outback" not sure more than that, but it explored out in the bush to find geology wherever it could. They did the swap 167k ago, and to be honest I havent had a look through the huge stack of receipts that came with it... it's got 561k km's on the clock - heres hoping to get it to a million :beer:

Historically it was used for "geology in the outback" not sure more than that, but it explored out in the bush to find geology wherever it could.
That seems to be a common use for these workhorses. My '86 FJ60 was purchased from a retired geologist, so much of the mileage (~125,000) was from exploring and studying the geology of Southern Nevada and the Death Valley region. And my youngest son's retired geology professor had a very nice beige FJ60 which he owned until the day he passed.

Is it an Fj61?

I don't know much about non-USA models.

You'll find a fair amount of interest in that rear tire carrier from folks over here
that didn't get access to those. Clean it up and sell it to fund fixes or upgrades. :)

I imagine rust converting spray paint would do the trick in instances like that where
you need to get coverage where you can't reach.

If you plan on keeping that sick bubble-top cruiser for a while, you'll want to
pull the windshield and seek and destroy any other rust before reinstalling
the glass.

Very cool bubble-top Cruiser!

Welcome to the addiction! We're either enablers or supporters depending
on how you look at it :)

I am guessing it is 8th month or after of 85, that makes it a 62 with round headlights.
My personal advice would be to stick with the same size tyres and wheels you have now as an increase to 33's and 12" wide will give you no advantage on or off road with stock suspension and AT's and cost you heaps.(they also run foul of ADR's)
Forget about extended shackles as they are not legal in any state in Australia and will void your insurance.
I now you are in Melbourne but why remove the tint? You will certainly notice the extra heat in summer without it.
Before you decide to get rid of the spare wheel carrier on the bumper try lifting your spare tyre on to the roof rack a couple of times.The rattle should be easily fixed with new bushes or bearings.
Do you have a factory manual for it yet? I can email you a copy.
What is wrong with the sun roof?

Welcome to the world of landcruisers and with that mileage be prepared for diff and gearbox and transfer service or repairs in your future short term budget.

My personal advice would be to stick with the same size tyres and wheels you have now as an increase to 33's and 12" wide will give you no advantage on or off road with stock suspension and AT's and cost you heaps.
Thanks for the response mate! Why do you say that 33"s wont be an advantage? Wont that be an inch of ground clearance upgrading from 31's?

Before you decide to get rid of the spare wheel carrier on the bumper try lifting your spare tyre on to the roof rack a couple of times.The rattle should be easily fixed with new bushes or bearings.
Fair call. Although I'm not in love with the look of the spare carrier, and for the amount of times that I use the spare (couple times a year tops?), compared to the amount of times I open the back of the truck - I dont mind stuffing around with it when it comes to it.

Do you have a factory manual for it yet? I can email you a copy.
I do! Came with a Haynes manual, although if you have a better one I'll take it!

What is wrong with the sun roof?
Fxxx - I'm not sure exactly. I can open it about 100mm by holding the open switch and manually forcing it open. But then it stops cold. It needs a heap of help getting closed again. I've played with the rubber gromet around the back of the sunroof, and it appears to be packed with schmoo, so I'm guessing that's binding it up? I'm not sure how to begin taking it apart to start the process of fixing it - any tips on taking it apart?

Welcome to the world of landcruisers and with that mileage be prepared for diff and gearbox and transfer service or repairs in your future short term budget.
Thanks mate!! So happy to finally own a rig worth all the love and affection I have to offer. I poured way to much into my previous s***box 4x4's, and happy to have a solid platform to work with. Diff's have had some work, but the previous owners havent touched the gearbox - so that's coming up I'm sure!

You'll find a fair amount of interest in that rear tire carrier from folks over here
that didn't get access to those. Clean it up and sell it to fund fixes or upgrades.
You reckon there is a market for them? I'm happy to sell mine - as I already was thinking about fabbing up a new bumper and swing out spare / jerry can setup if I go that route. I do steel fabrication all day long, so if there is a demand for those I'd be happy to make a few up! Shipping to the US would be a bit dear though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom