newbie frame rust question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope to join the ranks of FJ60 owners soon. I'm looking at an '87, 163,000 miles with a good body and interior. However, the rear frame doesn't look so good - rust. (Interestingly, the front frame is fine.) Can anyone look at these pics and give me a prognosis? My goal is a decent stock Cruiser to drive a couple times a week, mostly on the street. I don't have the mechanical knowledge or motivation to undertake a big restoration. Thanks!
DSCN0059.jpg
DSCN0062.jpg
DSCN0069.jpg

I would be So Happy if mine looked that good!!!

if you buy it might want to clean it up a bit and put some type of rust preventative on it.

That's typical rust of 60's that are not in South and Southwest dry no salt areas. The front of the frame always seems to be in better shape than the back.
If there is no rust (meaning not repainted and bondoed) in the body, under neath on the floor pan or in the wheel well areas than I would say that's a pretty good cruiser.
If you're looking for a no rust frame than you should search in the Southern Cal, New Mexico kind of areas.

I'm still waiting for the bad pics!:p:D

one way to check is to smack it with a ball pein hammer, with safety glasses, you'll now if it's solid

Oh man! If you think that frame is rusted I'd hate to hear what you would call my frame!!

Finding a frame like that in Canada would be like finding a turbo kit in a "free" pile at a garage sale!

Looks great. Grind off surface rust and paint.

Rust? What rust?:grinpimp:

frame looks find, i'd be more worried about why they repainted the truck, look for rust in the body thats been covered up

Get a wire brush and knock as much off as possible and then use a Rust bullet/ Osepho on the frame then paint and prime with Rustlom heavy rust metal paint and then spray some rubberized undercoating on it. You will never have rusting problems again.

Get a wire brush and knock as much off as possible and then use a Rust bullet/ Osepho on the frame then paint and prime with Rustlom heavy rust metal paint and then spray some rubberized undercoating on it. You will never have rusting problems again.

I agree with this statement. That frame is in pretty good condition. You should see my frame.:crybaby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom