newbie- FJ55 search and project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a longtime cruiser fan and am ready to take the plunge. I'm looking for a red/white FJ-55 and have some general questions.

- does anyone know the resto prices from TLC or Rocky Mountain- and are they worth it?
- will 33" tires fit with a stock suspension or is a body lift needed?
- who makes a 350 V8 conversion for the FJ55
- are Specter and ManAFre the best for aftermarket accesories?
- are there any owner groups in the Southeast?
- what is the price range on 55's now?
- Big Question- is the red/white 55 on e-bay now worth the $9,500 asking price

Thanks in advance.

The 55 on ebay looks nice, but also repainted. The pictures on the site linked show a pig that could easily be saved from rust if it's snatched up now and had the rust fixed soon- I'm sure there's spot on it that the pictures don't show, but the undersbody shots and the rear of the roof tell me there's definitely rust there. The overdrive is a plus in my book, but I don't think it's worth more than $4500+/- personally assuming it drives and runs as well as the seller says.

Edit: pics of problems:
http://www.off-site.com/fun/fj55/prob.rocker.JPG
http://www.off-site.com/fun/fj55/Prob.Roof2.JPG
http://www.off-site.com/fun/fj55/Prob.Roof1.JPG
http://www.off-site.com/fun/fj55/Prob.Hood.JPG

33s will fit (but rub a bit) with a stock, but still fresh suspension. As for 350s, if you want to put a dumpy ol' american V8 into the truck there's plenty of places that are willing to help you do that. Check out Advance Adapters and others. If you're going that route do yourself a favor and put some sort of overdrive in it.

Can't say about resto pieces or aftermarket accessories. Buy a welder and build your own.

Last edited:
Advanced adapters sells most everything you need to put whatever engine/transmission/t-case combo you want in your rig. I just got done getting a 350, nv4500, and split tc into my 1972 pig. It comes out good and makes for a great ride.

Pablo, thanks for trying to pimp my pig, but it finally sold last week.

The pigs are great, very unique vehicles. Luckily most of the drivetrain parts are interchangable with the FJ40. Unfortunatly, most of the body and interior parts are not readily available. If you can weld yourself, your life will be much easier.

I dont think that pig is worth $9500. Maybe $5000 tops.

Advance Adapters will have the V8 swap stuff. I have 2 Landcruisers with V8s and 1 with a stock 2F. Dont be afraid of the 2F, they are great motors for torque and will last forever. You wont find many V8s that'll go 200K miles without being rebuilt.

Check out www.ironpigoffroad.com Lance is making lots of repro parts for the pigs.

Hodag

9500 is high for any pig not in REALLY good shape. I dont think I'd pay that unless it was 0 rust and I'm in the southeast too so I know the rust problems.

33's yes with a little rub.

Resto prices probably not worth it unless you want it perfect and dont want to do anything yourself.

Tons of threads on v8 conversions just do a search.

Iron Pig Offroad is good for pig specific fab stuff but making your own is where its at.

Where are you at in the southeast? There arent any pig only groups but each state has 1 or 2 cruiser clubs. Upstate Cruisers is ours here in SC. Olde North in NC Leaky Seals ATL etc etc. Just go look through the club section and see who is nearest to you. And come to the 55 specific forum for much more directly pig knowledge.

ahhh....the world of pigs....WOOT WOOT...I love em...

anyways...good luck on your search...aren't many in really good shape...and the restored ones are going to be $$$...just because of the scarcity of parts...are you looking for plain stock? lifted? slightly modded? Sold on the 350???

there are a few for sale...

55 for sale

here's one that would make a great starting point...nice and solid...but not red/white...

Where are you out of Wilbur? There was a pig for sale north of me in winchester, VA. I have also herd of one that is kinda rough, even in pig standards, close to me.

Chuck

tlc resto prices are outrageous...their work is nice but $75,000 for the grey/white pig that they probably still haven't sold.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm not opposed to the 2F but like the V8 too...I can go either way. I''m not quite ready to give up on the red/white just yet.

If anyone happens upon a good catch pass it my way.

Thanks again.

Remember, ANY body parts for the FJ55 are nearly impossible to locate. You'll be making your own or doing without for whatever is missing or beyond repair.
Most "Pig" owners are aware of this and have their own private stash of difficult to reproduce parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom