1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie FJ40 Questions

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by TOY4X4HOPEFULL, Mar 6, 2004.

1. TOY4X4HOPEFULL

TOY4X4HOPEFULL

Hi all

I just wanted to ask some newbie TLC questions that I need answers too. Thasks in advance for your patience.
    I have a 77 FJ40 2F Canadian vehicle with GM HEI distributer.

1. If I need to buy wires or a new distributer/rotor or cap what do I ask for the PO did the mod, and what exactly was changed?
    2. What exactly does the brake booster do and is it required?
    3. Is their a bolt in master cylinder that can be used in lieu of the stock Toyota one?
    4. I personally hate the air intake setup is their a good mod to do to remove the air filter?
    5. My cruiser does not like to start, battery is new and goo first off. If I use a bit of quick start it does start up easy. It doesnt run the best (it has been sitting for quite some time, but I have run it up alot lately and same problem) It runs rough and I need to keep the throttle out to keep it running most times SO what should I do about it?

Thanks Again

2. ok here we go:
    1.just look at the parts and get the same replacement peice if it works good and if it doesnt search for new ;)
    2.A brake booster increases your brake power. Without it a heavy vehicle like a FJ-40 it would become almost impossible to stop (i just got mine rebuilt-300 Us dollars) big improvemnt and i feel much safer.......this winter im going with stainless lines too.
    3. Use stock on such a important part dont use anything less!
    4.Well there are many different views on this. Many people like a snorkel and it takes cold air in to give ya better performance. I have mine de-smogged and and i have a filter sitting on the carb.
    5.check your points and adjust if needed or go with a CDI setup put new plugs in clean the carb and jets since its been sitting awhile and put fresh gas in also. You made need to tune up the carb too for sitting for awhile. hope that helps!

3. do you have much car/mechanical experience? and by easy start you mean either right?

4. TOY4X4HOPEFULL

TOY4X4HOPEFULL

HI All Thanks for the replys.

I am a welder metal worker by trade. I like doing mechanical stuff, but I am not a mechanic. I used to run Toy PU now I got my first Cruiser and I really dont know alot about them. Yes I mean either/quick start its all the same. As for the GM distributer stuff I would prefer not to pull it off go to the store start opeing boxes to hopefull have a match. I know it came from GM inline 6 but what veh/year I dont,are they not all the same.

5. brian

brian SILVER Star

this thread is useless without pics :flipoff2:

a mid-late 70's chevy pick up I6 dist parts and wires is more than likly what you have.

6. yeah brian i was thinking that but i didnt want to jump to conclusions.....

7. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    the auto store can match just the cap....no need to pull lots of stuff, and the wires are likely a universal 6-syl kit to match the GM cap.

IMO, cold air intakes and such are a waste of $$...the stocker does a good job, and I'm not sure of any aftermarket "open element" types that work...

8. TOY4X4HOPEFULL

TOY4X4HOPEFULL

I would prefer not to pull anything actually. Would there be any identifying marks on the cap perhaps? I hate the side mounted filter and definate want to mod it somehow.

9. well we cant tell ya without pics man! lol you have to look and do somethings yourself ;)