Newbie: first time owner of an LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wild. Did you do the AHC delete and suspension install yourself?
No AHC delete. The complete system is still on, but the shocks are obviously gone. I had a local shop with experience in Landcruiser do the job. As far as the computer system, all you have to do is unplug the AHC module. It’s above the gas pedal. That makes all the light on the dash disappear and the computer works as normal with all other functions intact (ABS, traction control all still work).

No AHC delete. The complete system is still on, but the shocks are obviously gone. I had a local shop with experience in Landcruiser do the job. As far as the computer system, all you have to do is unplug the AHC module. It’s above the gas pedal. That makes all the light on the dash disappear and the computer works as normal with all other functions intact (ABS, traction control all still work).
Yeah, I was just curious if you were doing the work. These trucks are a lot of fun to work on. I did the complete AHC delete on my 100 on my back in my driveway about 4 years ago.

Wow, crazy clean! Bummer about AHC. Still have the shocks? The globes are probably the only component in that system worn out, but they would definitely make it feel terrible if worn.

I've been toying with buying up used (and good) AHC components and listing them on my site so peeps have an easy place to look for reasonably priced parts. Lots of folks rip out that system when 95% of it is perfectly functional and yet used parts are a bit of a scavenger hunt.

Let me know if you want to sell those parts!

Yeah, I was just curious if you were doing the work. These trucks are a lot of fun to work on. I did the complete AHC delete on my 100 on my back in my driveway about 4 years ago.
How much weight do you think it drops by removing all the AHC components? I was thinking of taking them all off in my garage. I’m not sure if it’s worth it, to remove all the components just to drop maybe 50 lbs.

How much weight do you think it drops by removing all the AHC components? I was thinking of taking them all off in my garage. I’m not sure if it’s worth it, to remove all the components just to drop maybe 50 lbs.
I removed everything associated with AHC. The lines, reservoir, pump, accumulaters, globes, etc. I would say it’s more like 100lbs. Definitely worth it if you ask me. Also I was able to sell the takeoffs on eBay for around $1200.

I removed everything associated with AHC. The lines, reservoir, pump, accumulaters, globes, etc. I would say it’s more like 100lbs. Definitely worth it if you ask me. Also I was able to sell the takeoffs on eBay for around $1200.
Wow! that is great money!!!

I just removed the front accumulators lines. What a pain in the ass it was!😂 now I’m going to list them on eBay!
A3D1489F-E302-41DF-87F0-48E0D347EA23.jpeg
94BFCAB1-1720-4628-8098-F8C8DDBDAC09.jpeg
9981593F-3E43-47DB-9863-08AC93022D1D.jpeg
A3D1489F-E302-41DF-87F0-48E0D347EA23.jpeg

Ok so I have to know how much you paid for that? I have been looking off and on for over a year (nationwide searches - willing to travel) and have not found one that was low-mileage, grandma owned like yours. I have a pretty generous budget too, but the right one has eluded me thus far.

Ok so I have to know how much you paid for that? I have been looking off and on for over a year (nationwide searches - willing to travel) and have not found one that was low-mileage, grandma owned like yours. I have a pretty generous budget too, but the right one has eluded me thus far.
What do you consider low mileage?

What do you consider low mileage?

Well anything under 100,000 miles is really low mileage. Originally I was considering anything 2000-2007 but recently just started looking at the 06-07 because they are a bit newer and I like the higher HP engine.

But I would be comfortable with anything under 200,000 miles. And I would pay up to $15,000 for one, but there are a ton of people online who think these things are made of gold and won't budge on the price. The kicker is that I have alerts set up on my phone and all I ever see are the same cars getting reposted every week (or more often) on Craigslist. The ones I do find that seem to be in good shape, one-owner, low-miles etc. for a reasonable price all come from the NorthEast and I just refuse to buy a car that spent most of it's life out there unless I can know for sure that it's parked the second snow starts falling.

Well anything under 100,000 miles is really low mileage. Originally I was considering anything 2000-2007 but recently just started looking at the 06-07 because they are a bit newer and I like the higher HP engine.

But I would be comfortable with anything under 200,000 miles. And I would pay up to $15,000 for one, but there are a ton of people online who think these things are made of gold and won't budge on the price. The kicker is that I have alerts set up on my phone and all I ever see are the same cars getting reposted every week (or more often) on Craigslist. The ones I do find that seem to be in good shape, one-owner, low-miles etc. for a reasonable price all come from the NorthEast and I just refuse to buy a car that spent most of it's life out there unless I can know for sure that it's parked the second snow starts falling.
@shtbrwn86 just want to make sure you are aware there is 100 series classified section on this forum that lots of vehicles pass through on this site! I got mine with 210,000 miles for $11,000 there, $15,000 would get you something good I would of thought.

Edit - thinking about it more, my prior LX470 (had to sell due to leaving country) cost me around $15,000..I think about 7? years ago. That one was with the 'buying from a dealership' mark up too.

Looks like an extremely clean LX, that’s quite a score! The AHC debate is an old classic with really no right answer, I think it just comes down to what you like and are comfortable with. Personally, on my LX I’ll keep it intact because it does ride well and the adjustability for mild wheeling is handy. The reality is, that particular vehicle spends 99% of its life in the city and has to clear parking garages at my wife’s office everyday...so AHC and some 275/70R18 Duratracs is as extreme as it will likely ever be!
I get your point about modified suspensions sometimes feeling more planted, I’ve had 4Runners on 38s, sprung over 60s, and a Tacoma with full OME/ All pro suspension on 35s. The Taco rode like garbage in town but it was incredibly well planted at speed, I think it was the stiffness of the springs combined with 12.5 tires on wheels with minimal backspacing.
I hit black ice years ago on I-70 coming back from DIA at about 50 mph in that truck, I literally did a 720+ and ended up facing eastbound on WB I-70. Had it not been for the suspension and the wider track/contact patch, I think it would have been real bad. I ended up grinding to a halt with my trailer hitch on a guardrail In front of Whisler Bearing, again if the truck had been lower I would have broadsided that rail and probably rolled, there wasn’t a scratch on the truck! Anyway, hope that never happens to you, but maybe that suspension will save you someday! Nice LX, welcome aboard.

I'm not an AHC purist but I have a 22 y/o system, 185k miles and all original (including accumulators) except the two front height sensors.... I'm also about 1,000lbs over stock for the past 10+ years.
Hello,
Is there a was of upgrading the springs slightly? Or are the stock springs the only option? The only thing that went on my rig’s AHC was the valve body. One of the solenoids jammed. It was expensive to fix but she is running well now.

Hello,
Is there a was of upgrading the springs slightly? Or are the stock springs the only option? The only thing that went on my rig’s AHC was the valve body. One of the solenoids jammed. It was expensive to fix but she is running well now.

Kings, quite a few people running them on here.

Hello,
Sorry, I misspoke. I also changed the springs and it is necessary to manage that amount of weight. The Kings are a step up in spring rate. I’m using 80 stock springs. 100/200 springs fit as well.

all fun to work on except removal of rear shocks (ahc)

all fun to work on except removal of rear shocks (ahc)
I think that’s one of the easier steps of a complete removal. You just need to have the proper tools for the job. If you don’t I’m sure it’s no fun at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom