Newbie birf question

Ok new to this forum just found it a few days ago. I bought my 92 about 2 months ago and am getting ready to do the birf job this week on my days off. I read all the faq's and did a search but didn't find anything that said if you do or don't use a high temp silicon on any of the seals or gaskets. Just a simple question do you use high temp silicon or gasket sealer on anything when doing the complete birf job??
thanks in advance

p.s. and I know i'm going to be getting a few of these from looking at some of the other newbie post so here is a pre-emptive :flipoff2:

Good question. My answer, NO. Because I just got done with my birf job and I didn't even think of it. I just figured since nothing should be under any pressure, silicon wasn't needed. But, I'm an idiot. Wait for the pros to respond.

I didn't use any............ is there anybody on here that did? I just used the faq to do it which didn't mention any in the needed supplies

alvarorb

Color Geek in Charge
Website
www.arb-digital.com
Congratulations, you have a great truck.
I'm no pro. But experience tells me that the factory paper gaskets will do their job without any silicon help.
Also, Toyota original seals are only, what in my opinion should, be used. After market seals tend to fail faster than original ones.
CDan from the forum has a great kit that includes all the parts you'll need. There's also an instructional DVD that you can get.

Regards

Alvaro

Keeping with the gasket question. . .

Hypathetically speaking, say an idiot just finished a birf job and one was clicking really bad (good splines, bad balls), so needs to replace a birfield. New gaskets, or reuse? In other words, is a gasket considered trash after being squished?

is a gasket considered trash after being squished?

Not necessarily. Depends entirely on how it comes back apart. I had put a locker in the rear of my 60 and had used a new gasket. A month later there was an issue with it, I opened up the diff and reused the gasket, no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom