newbie advice please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i just picked up a 91 LC with 150,000 miles on it. i need some opinions and suggestions for it. heres a little info on it. its a one owner and its been in the Seattle area. the owner worked at Microsoft and drove it back and forth to work. he swears its never been off road tho he did say he engaged the center diff now and then. he gave me all the service and maintenence records for it. he also replaced the tranny 2,000 miles ago, i have the reciept for it. theres no dents, dings or scratches on it. the inside is beautiful and i guess its got every option except leather seats.

now for my ?'s

i know theres not much i can do to increase the power, but i have read a K&N Air Filter will help out a little. is there anything else i can try?

whats a good way to test the 4 wheel drive out on it?

there are some minor problems. the passenger side mirror shakes, the antenna motor needs replacing and the motor for the sunroof cover needs replacing. also, several speakers are blown out. where can i find replacments?

now i'm not going to wheel it, i've got a 63 FJ40 for that, but i would like to "beef" it up a little for it. what could i do?

sorry for the long post and please let me know what you think

Budd,
Welcome to the 80s section here on ih8mud and welcome to 80's ownership.

>> whats a good way to test the 4 wheel drive out on it? <<
Your truck is full-time 4WD so the drive home tested it. If you're talking about putting it in low range and locking the center differential then...

Go somewhere with a low traction surface like a dirt road or a gravel parking lot. Put the tranny in N, shift the xfer case to L, press the CDL, and put the tranny in D. You're in low range.

>> there are some minor problems. the passenger side mirror shakes, the antenna motor needs replacing and the motor for the sunroof cover needs replacing. also, several speakers are blown out. where can i find replacments? <<

These have all been covered recently. Search the archives for good posts, many with pictures. Let us know if you cannot find them.

To "beef" up a 3FE you can, well, I guess you can pull it and put in a SBC but that's a lot of work. Just drive it another 150,000 miles and enjoy life in slow motion. That engine will run forever.

-B-

Most of us have shaky mirrors, most vibration is obviously on drivers side. Check the screw most likely the plastic assembly is stripped. PC7 and other epoxies take care of this. Is the mast broken? I replaced mine for $27(new mast assembly) vs $300 toyota service wanted. If the motor works your ok. Try cruiserparts.com or sor.com for a replacement part to the sunroof cap. Or better yet Cdan might be able to get the part for you.
have fun and take it out and wake it up!
chris
94LC

Budd, congrats on the new Cruiser. If it were my truck I would not worry about the antenna motor. Just go down to your local auto parts store and get a rubber flexy deal on the cheap and be done with it.

As far as the mirror see above. Try fixing it rather then replacing it. I'm a bit perplexed about the sunroof cover? On mine the cover is manual. As long as the sunroof works again I would not sweat it.

As power goes get used to it. You don't have any. The 3fe is a pig pure and simple. Short of throwing in a 350 there is nothing you can do. I don't really trust the K&N offroad but if you think it gives you more power then try it. Honestly though any power increases will be slight. There is a guy on the pirate board running a turbo in a 2f but again if you’re going to drop that kind of coin you might as well drop in the sbc. The 3fe is a turd but a turd that will last forever.

For the speakers you best bet would be to take them out and get some aftermarket jobbies. If you don't want to deal with it go to a local trusted audio shop and let them have at it.
:cheers:
Nick

I have a 91...

- fix the mirror, easier than it sounds
- replace the antenna..easy
- test 4WD? easy...go to a parking lot...hit center diff button, wait for light to come on....turn in a circle and listen for chirping. Repeat in Low. If you chirp, it works.

- power? 3FE? they don't mix. I put an intake, K&N (plus dry charger for additional dust filtration), cat back exhaust, etc on it and I can live with it....the 3FE is not a power house at speed...but it SHINES offroad...period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom