newbie 96 4.5L I-6 ATF specs...how much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all...sorry for the newbie post! I just bought a 96 Landcruiser and I am in the process of changing out all of the fluids. How much ATF fluid is necessary for draining from the bottom of the tranny pan?
How many quarts of Toyota ATF should I buy to fill this baby back up?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome Chris,

Drain and refill varies from vehicle to vehicle and will also depend on how long you let it sit before you put the plug back in. A rule of thumb is have 5 to 7 quarts on hand. Some members measure the drained ammount and go back in with the same ammount. Of course that only works if the level was correct to begin with ::) .

Cheers, Dan.

Thanks, I drained it today and I put 5 quarts in...seemed low by the level check. I ended up putting in 9 quarts! I did not realize they needed that much. I drove it into work and it seemed fine.
I did not know exactly how much is required so, hopefully someone will have an amount...does 9 quarts seem normal?

Thanks again!

I've always drained and filled with 4 quarts. Checked the stick after each time and it was just below the hot line. Incidently because we have the additional tranny cooler don't expect the fluid to get hot, so there won't be a big difference in the level just after starting the truck and driving 400 miles.

Hum, now I'm concerned...I drained quite a bit out, I'll measure it out tonight but I had to fill with 9 quarts. I drained right after driving so I am not sure if that would make a difference or not. Could I cause major harm by running 9 quarts after draining the pan?
Thanks for the help!

One thing that will happen is you will blow ATF out the dip stick tube if its a whole bunch over full (which is messy and in some cases could catch on fire from very hot engine bits). Where was the level on the stick and were you checking it with the engine running? Also, how long did you let it drain? Recently, I had my pan off to change a couple solenoids. I drained the pan of about 6 quarts and put the plug back in. I messed around for a while prepping the pan to come off and by the time I removed the pan there was at least another quart in it that had drained out of the valve body while I was doing other stuff.

I like your idea, I am going to measure how much came out and adjust from there. I just got the landcruiser and the last thing I want to do is mess up the tranny.
Sounds like I may need to drain 2 quarts however, a lot came out when I drained it initially...I let it drain for about 10 minutes and a lot of fluid came out.
Thanks again for your help and if any other ideas come up please let me know!

Whoa...

Mr Dan: You are draining a 442, and Chris is draining a 343. That's apples v. oranges.

Like Rick (and many others), I drain 4 qts +/- from mine (a A343 tranny, like Chris'). I cannot image how 9 qts would come out of there by simply removing the drain plug... and overfilling one of these can cause all manner of problems (Chris: do a few searches through the archives on this forum on this subject for more detailed info...).

I would be most concerned that the tranny may be over filled. Be sure to check the tranny dipstick with the engine hot, and while it is running... and shift the transmission slowly through each of the gears (with your foot on the brake ! ;) ) just before checking the level.

G.L. R -

and P.S. Welcome to our group! Yer goin' to have a blast :D

Thanks! I'll bring her down to 4 quarts tonight! I appreciate the help!
Whew! You may have saved me big time!
Help is much appreciated!

Ron,

I did say have 5 to 7 quarts on hand in the first place. ::)

In all cases the longer you leave the plug out the more will drain out of the valve body regardless of which transmission is in the vehicle.

Agreed, 442's and 343's are apples and oranges.

Chris -

Dan, as usual, is right. IF you left the plug out long enough, more than 4 qts will come out... and there is certainly more than 9 qts in there.

But you did say about 10 min. Anyway, the key to this isn't so much what came out, as that you refilled approximately the same amount and, much more important, that the engine running hot level on the dipstick is correct when you're through (as stated, it could have been low [or high] to begin with). As long as that is ok, you won't have any trouble.

R -

FWIW, I think the proper way to check the trans fluid level after draining is start engine, warm up on level, put selector drive, then reverse - foot on brake right!, then to park and check level.
$02. worth
Bill

Well, after reading the posts and thinking back how much drained I decided to play it safe and drain 5 quarts leaving 4.
I did that and she drove just fine, I was freaking out because I thought I would blow a seal or something. Good thing I did not drive hard into work!
I looked under the hood and under body and everything was fine.
Thanks again and I'll follow the forum rather than the dealer!
Again, thank you very much! The help was most appreciated! ::)

Chris,
Have you checked your ATF level as detailed in the prior posts? Are you at the proper level? That's the only way to be sure you have the proper amount of fluid in your tranny.
-B-

Hello all! I did check the fluid level after I drained 5 quarts out and the level was fine.
Now I know not to do that again! When I get the Chilton's maunal I will post the specs so that other new people can benefit from it.
Thank you all very much!

my noob mistake back when I got my 91 (always had stick prior) was to check the level when stopped (not running).

I figured it out quite quickly without any damage because my mind wouldn't stop thinking about...this usually tells me that I goofed and just wouldn't admit it.

Did the above check 2 days after I did the service (day 5 of ownership) and realized I was over....drained it and all was well.

8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom